91 Leaves Bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Thats tough. Hopefully he is ok .
Really question Tarasenko getting 20+ minutes the other night 9 months after shoulder surgery.

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
Obviously want him healthy, but what implications does this have (assuming second surgery) on cap going forward, ya know since we have someone important to sign sooner than later

Reactions: DangledUpinBlues

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Even if it is something minor enough that he gets examined and sent back within a few days, he's definitely done for Round 1 and, if we move on, a good chunk of Round 2. According to Dave Pagnotta of The 4th Period, no update is expected on him until next Monday. Even if he were to return by the middle of next week, he would be unavailable until around August 31 according to COVID testing protocols.

Obviously there is concern for his current condition and his long-term health, but there seems to be little hope of seeing him in the lineup and effective again in these playoffs until the conference finals.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Thats tough. Hopefully he is ok .
Really question Tarasenko getting 20+ minutes the other night 9 months after shoulder surgery.
They were about to play him in March if Covid didn’t happen. So I’m sure everyone thought he was at 100% after getting a long break.

Apparently not, but I’m not really sure you can point the finger at anyone here. It’s unfortunate for him and the team. But at the same time, how many teams can play this well without their leading goal scorer? Our depth is very very impressive.

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
Kyrou can fill a fraction if he gets that 2019 Thomas vibe the more comfortable he gets as games progress. Ahhhh I’m spinning it. Damn.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
There was a point in game 2 where he got hit and it looked like he hurt his shoulder and then he shot shortly after that and had nothing on it. So I thought he might've been hurt. This could be career ending if it's the same injury. Dislocating shoulder can become a chronic thing where it pops out rather easily and no way could you play hockey if thats the case. And there isn't much that could be done to rectify it.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I remember one play in his last game where he weakly passed the puck into somebody's skates. No power to it. I thought at the time that he had a mental lapse. It seemed very strange. On second thought, maybe his shoulder was really bothering him and he couldn't do much with his shot or passing.

Reactions: mk80

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
There was a point in game 2 where he got hit and it looked like he hurt his shoulder and then he shot shortly after that and had nothing on it. So I thought he might've been hurt. This could be career ending if it's the same injury. Dislocating shoulder can become a chronic thing where it pops out rather easily and no way could you play hockey if thats the case. And there isn't much that could be done to rectify it.

Yes!

I saw that too. Very sad.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Looks like we got a Stamkos 2.0. It's really a shame, I miss when Tarasenko would put up 35-40 goal seasons and carry the team through everything. I hope he's okay but I don't think this guy is returning to what he was.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Looks like we got a Stamkos 2.0. It's really a shame, I miss when Tarasenko would put up 35-40 goal seasons and carry the team through everything. I hope he's okay but I don't think this guy is returning to what he was.
So, ppg+.

The really worry is that he's Gaborik 2.0. Both relied on their wrist shot, where Gaborik added speed to his game and Tarasenko is more about power. Gaborik had lower-body and shoulder injuries, so those hampered his shot and speed, Tarasenko's shoulder issues impact his shot and power.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
If we when this series he can still come back and do the 4 tests/4 day, lets hope he just needs more a little more time .... I know it most likely means he is in fact out for a long time but I just am still going to hope.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Even if it is something minor enough that he gets examined and sent back within a few days, he's definitely done for Round 1 and, if we move on, a good chunk of Round 2. According to Dave Pagnotta of The 4th Period, no update is expected on him until next Monday. Even if he were to return by the middle of next week, he would be unavailable until around August 31 according to COVID testing protocols.

Obviously there is concern for his current condition and his long-term health, but there seems to be little hope of seeing him in the lineup and effective again in these playoffs until the conference finals.

Let's be realistic here. It isn't something minor when you are sending a guy away from the in-bubble medical staff for an evaluation that can't provide insight for a week. If it were a minor hiccup it would either be taken care of by the in-bubble medical staff or the Blues would have paid enough money to get him into the medical office ASAP and rush results. If he is waiting a week to see the doctors, then it is a big enough issue that the team knows he is done for the year. If the consultation requires several visits OR something that takes days to get results then it is a big enough issue that he isn't coming straight back to the bubble.

When pro athletes can't get a medical answer for a week, it means that they are examining whether another surgery is necessary. It is impossible to guess right now whether another surgery will be necessary, but the fact that it is a question means that the issue is serious enough that he won't be rushing back to playoff hockey even if the answer he gets is good news.

The odds of him returning this year are pretty damn close to zero.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
On the positive side, he's a good guy and is family oriented. I'm glad he got to drink from the Cup during his career.
And he signed a set-your-family-up-for-life contract in his early 20s. Unless he is absolutely terrible with his money, he should have at least $10M sitting in the bank and investment accounts. Even worst case scenario, he will have at least another $7M post-tax/escrow money coming his way for the remainder of his contract, so he would be financially set even if he blew all his earnings so far.

I'm not predicting that this is the end of his career, because even guys who have horrendous shoulder issues are generally able to play again. But even in the worst case scenario, he and his family are set.

Totally agree that I'm happy he has had family and career success before this dumpster fire of a year. He seems like a sincerely great guy off the ice.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
It’s weird that in March he was seemingly days away from getting back into games, then he had an extra 5ish months to recover and its a cause for concern already again. I am not a doctor and I don’t know a damn thing about anything medical. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am asking.. Between the Fabbri knee issue and now Tarasenko having (seemingly) more issues.. Is there some cause for concern from the doctors they are using to do these surgeries or are they just freak issues? I know they aren’t saying much at this point, but it seems kind of crazy that in the last couple of years these guys have had their injuries, gotten their surgeries, done the rehab and immediately are shut down again.

Again, I know nothing about medicine and am not accusing them of being bad doctors or anything of the sort. Just seems like a weird coincidence.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Obviously want him healthy, but what implications does this have (assuming second surgery) on cap going forward, ya know since we have someone important to sign sooner than later
It is too soon to know because all of that is heavily impacted by the prognosis.

We need to be able to fit his $7.5M hit under the cap when he is healthy and we can put his entire $7.5M AAV on LTIR when he isn't healthy. Until we have an estimated time frame for his return, the cap implications beyond that are unknown.

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
It is too soon to know because all of that is heavily impacted by the prognosis.

We need to be able to fit his $7.5M hit under the cap when he is healthy and we can put his entire $7.5M AAV on LTIR when he isn't healthy. Until we have an estimated time frame for his return, the cap implications beyond that are unknown.

Yea I get all that, I just assumed with being sent back a second surgery is basically a guarantee and with a shortened offseason and a 9-12 month expected recovery one can basically say good bye to next year, obviously that’s a doom and gloom mind set, but I’m not sure anything has exceeded expectations in 2020

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It’s weird that in March he was seemingly days away from getting back into games, then he had an extra 5ish months to recover and its a cause for concern already again. I am not a doctor and I don’t know a damn thing about anything medical. I am not accusing anyone of anything. I am asking.. Between the Fabbri knee issue and now Tarasenko having (seemingly) more issues.. Is there some cause for concern from the doctors they are using to do these surgeries or are they just freak issues? I know they aren’t saying much at this point, but it seems kind of crazy that in the last couple of years these guys have had their injuries, gotten their surgeries, done the rehab and immediately are shut down again.

Again, I know nothing about medicine and am not accusing them of being bad doctors or anything of the sort. Just seems like a weird coincidence.
It just happens sometimes. Your body will just inherently be at a higher risk of re-injury after you damage something the first time. Surgery doesn't just make your body back to the way it was as if nothing happened. Once you tear your ACL, even after successful surgery and recovery, you will always be at a higher risk to tear it again. When you play a high impact sport, that risk goes up even higher, especially for the vulnerable spots, like shoulders and knees.

And it's not just that injury that can repeat, you can have a bunch of small injuries pop up as a result. I had a torn ACL and meniscus, and when I returned, I'd get a bunch of stress fractures and IT band issues. I had to stop playing competitively because it just got too much of constantly having to do small rehabs.

Reactions: EurlichBachman

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
This isn't good new, but there is absolutely no reason to be jumping to conclusions based off when the Blues are choosing to update the media. They've given a date for an update to stop requests for an update, it's also a date that is after our series will be complete and before Tarasenko could play again because of the bubble rules. I highly doubt that the date choice has anything to do with when Tarasenko and the Blues will have the relevant information. Plus, we've seen the team give dates that players would be "re-evaluated" on and then they are back playing before that.

The other perspective is that he got injured and completed the game. He was viewed as day-to-day by the medical staff after that. It's taken three days for him to leave the bubble. If it was clearcut that he was done then he would have left three days ago.

While I'd agree that it's probably more likely than not that he is done for the season, I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion based on what we know.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad