90s-00s rivalries

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the Devils being dump for the last 7 years has really put some water on the Rangers Devils , although I would never say its dead. Same for Devils Flyers

KinCornKarn

Oct 2, 2003
The metro rivalries will always be around since those teams are just so close and their fans really don't like each other. The Wings and Avs rivalry was really something else. It was a bloody and mean spirited rivalry on the ice. Don't think there is an equivalent to that today.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
the Devils being dump for the last 7 years has really put some water on the Rangers Devils , although I would never say its dead. Same for Devils Flyers
Devils Flyers games are arguably the most entertaining to watch right now in terms of “hate” for the Flyers imo. Flyers and NYI have been building into something this year- Eberle and TK fighting 2 times, Provorov had a nice open ice hit on Barzal, the Voracek reverse hit on Boychuck, last year there was a game with 3 fights in the first half.

Something always goes on each game. Fun to watch even if both teams aren’t that great (NJD and PHI).

PHI and PIT has been the most overblown rivalry. May be my new-coming into this (only been a fan for ~7 years), but I haven’t really gotten the rivalry vibe.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Other Flyer and Penquin fans may disagree buy as a Flyer fan I think the Flyer/Pen rivalry is the most overblown thing.
It really was only a meaningful rivalry from 08-2012... that's the only time both teams were at loggerheads with Eastern final implications.

I grew up during the 80's and the Islanders then the Rangers were the biggest rivals of the Flyers; then the Caps during the late 80's. The Penquins weren't a real factor.
Then the Flyers were rebuilding during the early 90's while the Penquins were at the top of the pecking order.
Then from 95-04, the Devils were easily the biggest rival of the Flyers....... then the Rangers, Sabres, Leafs all had heated confrontations with the Flyers.

Then 2013 to the present the Flyers have been a joke while the Penquins remained at the top of the league. Penquins real rival are the Caps.

Flyers-Devils is #1, followed by Flyers-Rangers. The Flyers dominated the Pens for over a decade, then fell off. Plus, different divisions for a long time. The Pens are more like the Leafs: not natural rivals, but still very disdained. Also, the "Battle of Pennsylvania" thing is pretty much only a Western PA concern.

Reactions: magnumpi

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Flyers-Devils is #1, followed by Flyers-Rangers. The Flyers dominated the Pens for over a decade, then fell off. Plus, different divisions for a long time. The Pens are more like the Leafs: not natural rivals, but still very disdained. Also, the "Battle of Pennsylvania" thing is pretty much only a Western PA concern.

Agreed, it's really a western pa obsession.

But I didnt want to come off as dismissive because the flyers have been bad lately.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kings used to get it going with Colorado pretty good and, to a lesser extent, Dallas, but that has gone away with division realignment and the softening of the game.

LA v. Calgary was a hot one during the Gretzky years, died, but is making a comeback due to the Tkachuk/Doughty stuff. But really though, the only true rivalry the Kings have these days is v. the draft lottery system and they are on the wrong end of that one as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad