90s-00s rivalries

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Are the rivalries from 90s and early 2000's dead now? I miss the Red Wings- Avalanche playoff games. Were there any other ones I am missing?
Oilers and Dallas isn't near as intense because we don't meet in the first round every year anymore.

Probably all the ones that aren't geographically natural . While flames / oilers , pens / flyers and stuff will stay intense forever the ones based on playing eachother probably wane when that stops for a decade or 2

Reactions: The Dallas Jims

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
The fact the Red Wings are now in the Eastern Conference doesn't help for the Colorado-Detroit rivalry. But it was more a players' rivalry though. Sakic vs Yzerman, Forsberg vs Fedorov, Roy vs Wings goalies, Foote vs Shanahan, Lemieux vs all the entire Red Wings team and fanbase :biglaugh:.

The rivalry is "dead" when Roy retired. They still met each other in 2008 but it was clearly not what it used to be.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Rivalries in the sense of several line brawls or Darcy Tucker diving into Ottawa's bench are certainly dead. The game has changed and the physical style really isn't there to create that sort of hate and emotion.

You'll get more of the Washington/Pittsburgh type of rivalry now.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The fact the Red Wings are now in the Eastern Conference doesn't help for the Colorado-Detroit rivalry. But it was more a players' rivalry though. Sakic vs Yzerman, Forsberg vs Fedorov, Roy vs Wings goalies, Foote vs Shanahan, Lemieux vs all the entire Red Wings team and fanbase :biglaugh:.

The rivalry is "dead" when Roy retired. They still met each other in 2008 but it was clearly not what it used to be.
Foote V Shanny.. Foot was a punching bag... That nose though ,good times .

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

What I call a professional vs. college rivalry. Bos/Mtl, the names on the back don't matter, it's all about the logo's. The Avs/Wings was particular to the players at a particular point in time, nothing before, nothing after.

Reactions: JLaw1719

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Early 90s Kings-Oilers which was just an extension of the 80s Kings-Oilers was fun and really hasn't existed since then.

Kings vs Oilers used to be a pretty fun rivalry.

Same with Canucks - Oilers, Jets - Oilers, and the already mentioned Stars - Oilers.

Man, it's almost as if being a laughing stock for 10+ years kills - off all your old rivalries :(
At least we'll always have Calgary.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Foote V Shanny.. Foot was a punching bag... That nose though ,good times .
LOL, good joke but thank you.:biglaugh:But knowing where an Avs vs Wings conversation could lead us once again, I have just one name to tell you to avoid it... Konstantinov. ;)

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
What I call a professional vs. college rivalry. Bos/Mtl, the names on the back don't matter, it's all about the logo's. The Avs/Wings was particular to the players at a particular point in time, nothing before, nothing after.
I agree.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Such rivalries are dead because the league is too soft nowadays. If you take the Wings vs Avs for example, there was some real emotion between the two groups on a massive scale. I don't think you'll ever see a rivalry like that again.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers and Dallas isn't near as intense because we don't meet in the first round every year anymore.

Probably all the ones that aren't geographically natural . While flames / oilers , pens / flyers and stuff will stay intense forever the ones based on playing eachother probably wane when that stops for a decade or 2
This. All of the Oilers feuds have lost some steam - Dallas, Calgary, Vancouver, Los Angeles to a lesser extent Colorado, because the Oil have been awful for so long now. I keep waiting for the Oilers to get good again so we can rebuild our old feud with Winnipeg, that was a great feud that died when the original Jets moved, and hasn't been re-ignited yet.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah they're pretty much dead. Teams don't have identities like they used to and once all the players you disliked are gone it's not the same unless it's a regional rivalry.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Other Flyer and Penquin fans may disagree buy as a Flyer fan I think the Flyer/Pen rivalry is the most overblown thing.
It really was only a meaningful rivalry from 08-2012... that's the only time both teams were at loggerheads with Eastern final implications.

I grew up during the 80's and the Islanders then the Rangers were the biggest rivals of the Flyers; then the Caps during the late 80's. The Penquins weren't a real factor.
Then the Flyers were rebuilding during the early 90's while the Penquins were at the top of the pecking order.
Then from 95-04, the Devils were easily the biggest rival of the Flyers....... then the Rangers, Sabres, Leafs all had heated confrontations with the Flyers.

Then 2013 to the present the Flyers have been a joke while the Penquins remained at the top of the league. Penquins real rival are the Caps.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad