90 - 95, Yzerman vs. Gilmour

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
OT, but just to add another little angle to the playoff comparison, gilmour was also a very good playoff performer in the 80s, while yzerman really just had the one good playoff run in '87.

gilmour's blues faced yzerman's red wings twice. the first time, they were both rookies and the blues won the series 3-1. hockey-reference doesn't seem to have the box scores and i have no recollection of this series, though gilmour was the blues' leading scorer that playoffs and yzerman got his points in the four game series.

in their second meeting, yzerman was injured and his wings won 4-1. again, without looking at box scores for that series, gilmour put up fantastic numbers over the two rounds his team played.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
A big reason why Gilmour outpointed Yzerman in the playoffs is that Gilmour's long playoff runs were back when the league was still high scoring, whereas the Wings didn't become a good playoff team until the dead puck era.
I didn't look that closely at it but I'm pretty sure you have a point but quit calling it the dead puck era, it was the clutch and grab era.

There was no difference in the pucks, they were not being doctored up like the in the dead ball era in baseball were the term has been copied from, at least I'm guessing that last part.

I'm not trying to single you out on this, its just a very lazy comp that some guys have started using and it (the clutch and grab)doesn't really affect as the dead ball in baseball.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3