Post-Game Talk: #9: Avalanche 4 at FLYERS 1, Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I have no idea what you’re watching. Do you think the Flyers are sitting back in a Guy Boucher trap?

Last night they were a bit more conservative in the neutral zone because they were at such a speed disadvantage, but generally the Flyers forecheck pretty damn aggressively. They actually had to tone it back a year ago because it was too aggressive & they were getting beat.

And I sure don’t see Ghost or Provorov being restrained. If anything they’re trying to do too much.

I think you’re trying to find a simple explanation for the team’s struggles, and “system” often seems like a catch-all, but I sure don’t think a lack of systematic aggressiveness is the problem. In fact, as they showed several times this season, I think they’re at their worst when individuals are trying too hard to push the play when nothing is there.
I don't think they are sitting back totally but they are getting caught half way between which is worse . When you play an aggressive forecheck game and have D men slamming down the wall you have forwards that will drop back and fill their spot for a sec before he retreats and the forward re attacks . This system is created from constant motion and playing forwards as P 1 ,P 2 and P 3 not center , left wing and right wing .
We have way to many forwards standing still waiting to see what will happen in the offensive zone and when you do you will be caught half way between aka no mans land .
PK is no different , we play structure but not a force pressure structure which gives the opponent time to set up and make passes .
I have said i am also a Winnipeg fan , watch them and the chaos they create for teams in their own by the aggressive forcheck and puck support as a 5 man unit .
Also Guy Boucher this year seems to gone away from his usual way and Ottawa is playing aggressive entertaining hockey " right now " we will see if that changes .

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think they are sitting back totally but they are getting caught half way between which is worse . When you play an aggressive forecheck game and have D men slamming down the wall you have forwards that will drop back and fill their spot for a sec before he retreats and the forward re attacks . This system is created from constant motion and playing forwards as P 1 ,P 2 and P 3 not center , left wing and right wing .
We have way to many forwards standing still waiting to see what will happen in the offensive zone and when you do you will be caught half way between aka no mans land .
PK is no different , we play structure but not a force pressure structure which gives the opponent time to set up and make passes .
I have said i am also a Winnipeg fan , watch them and the chaos they create for teams in their own by the aggressive forcheck and puck support as a 5 man unit .
Also Guy Boucher this year seems to gone away from his usual way and Ottawa is playing aggressive entertaining hockey " right now " we will see if that changes .
Sounds good in theory but it’s not what I see actually happening on the ice.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Boucher coaches the same game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ottawa’s opened it up more & ditched the sit back hockey but they’re still getting crushed in possession so far. But their roster probably has more to do with that than anything as it’s still probably a bottom five roster in the league. They have the third highest PDO in the league behind Anaheim & Nashville. Anaheim is another team that gets crushed in possession but that’s par the normal under Carlyle coached teams. Nashville is just outside the top ten in possession.

Reactions: Curufinwe

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
V & G are not top end talents anymore..

You’re out of your goddamn mind and in the upper end of the vast minority. Giroux had a 102 points last year. When is said and done will end up being #1 in Flyers scoring provided he remains healthy.
Some of the hot takes on this board are high end bullshit.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You’re out of your goddamn mind and in the upper end of the vast minority. Giroux had a 102 points last year. When is said and done will end up being #1 in Flyers scoring provided he remains healthy.
Some of the hot takes on this board are high end bull****.
Points aren't everything in hockey though dude.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Points aren't everything in hockey though dude.

Just about every team in the league with high end talent would disagree. Giroux does enough things away from the puck that is fine.
Hitting and fighting are not everything in hockey either. Its a league that shows that speed, skill and even more skill win in this league.
Sure you need physical players, but it is not a requirement of every player on the roster.
How many players on Toronto play physical. They kill teams with speed.
Granted this team could use more players that skate really well. Other than shoddy defense and goaltending that is what the Flyers have trouble with the most. Teams that are fast.

Reactions: Curufinwe

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Just about every team in the league with high end talent would disagree. Giroux does enough things away from the puck that is fine.
Hitting and fighting are not everything in hockey either. Its a league that shows that speed, skill and even more skill win in this league.
Sure you need physical players, but it is not a requirement of every player on the roster.
Granted this team could use more players that skate really well. Other than shoddy defense and goaltending that is what the Flyers have trouble with the most. Teams that are fast.
We are flyers fans and the city loves hard working solid teams. Jets style big,fast,hard hittting,two way strong something we are not at all.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Great post though and you got great opinion's.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We are flyers fans and the city loves hard working solid teams. Jets style big,fast,hard hittting,two way strong something we are not at all.

The Jets are an elite team that have virtually no weaknesses. There is a reason why they are strong contenders to come out of the west. They are 6-2-1 and guys like Laine and Wheeler are off to slow starts.
Not many teams match up with them at all.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
"I- is this a dream?" I wonder aloud, arising from what I can only describe as beautiful filth.

I open the lid. A warm smile illuminates my face when I hear the squeaking of the hinges and feel the rush of cooler, fresher air. Alas, my time inside has come to an end, but don't all things come to an end? Besides, with an end starts a new beginning; a new day has dawned.

The Coffin™

tales-from-the-crypt.gif

The warm linens hug my waist as I continue reading. 'Bröther' I whisper. I came across the HFBoards post I longed to see. Day after day...night after night. The work schedule has not been physically exhausting, but emotionally exhausting. A 3p-1:30a schedule has seen my time with T H E B O I S dwindle into only a hasty, though still joyous, occasion. Has this changed?

T H E B O I S™

latest

I whisper again, this time with a smile: "Bröther..."

HaPP4Yl.gif

Bröther™...

tumblr_n46u3sA0yW1rrnep7o1_500.gif

Reactions: DancingPanther

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Jets also needed their top goalie prospect to turn 24 before he was good enough to make them a playoff team.

His 23 year old season was a big enough struggle that they went out and gave Steve Mason a contract befitting a starter.

Reactions: mize370

Hexxxy

Feb 25, 2017
What's up with provorov? I thought he'd have a great year
I think you have to question his mental fortitude. He took the playoff loss waaaay too hard and you have to wonder what he did during the offseason to physically and mentally prepare for this season, which includes physically healing up and mentally shedding the series. last year was emotional. Intense. Provorov is playing like the Pens series gave him PTSD. Thats a little hyperbole, but this is the simplest explanation.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It’s been nine games, not a huge sample to work with. Provorov will be fine in the long run but there was some unsustainable things going on with his season last year that he’s unlikely to match. If you were expecting him to keep a 15G+/45P+ going without top PP time you’re probably going to be disappointed.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It's not just hitting, it's defensive play in general.
xGF and HD chances are proxies, the top guys are all posting horrific (approaching MacDonald) numbers.
Yes, they're scoring, but they're giving up far more scoring chances than they're creating.

The idea that because Giroux and Voracek had very good seasons last year meant it would continue indefinitely was wishful thinking.
And the PP, their strongest point, has been struggling, as teams learn to aggressively press them into mistakes.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It's not just hitting, it's defensive play in general.
xGF and HD chances are proxies, the top guys are all posting horrific (approaching MacDonald) numbers.
Yes, they're scoring, but they're giving up far more scoring chances than they're creating.

The idea that because Giroux and Voracek had very good seasons last year meant it would continue indefinitely was wishful thinking.
And the PP, their strongest point, has been struggling, as teams learn to aggressively press them into mistakes.

......and a competent coach would come up with a game plan to adapt.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Some of the hot takes on this board are high end bull****.

He hasn't got a hope of catching Bobby Clarke sadly, but he'll be #2.

Reactions: Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad