Post-Game Talk: #9: Avalanche 4 at FLYERS 1, Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yea pretty sure when you’re at the bottom of the league and different goalies come through the pipeline and they still struggle, it’s systematic.

I don’t know how anyone can even defend the pk anymore. It’s pathetic and has been for 3-4 years now. Hmmmm. I see no correlation though...

Pretty sure it's actually 5 years, this runs back to Berube.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I’m still confused if Hakstol is allowed to respond to reporters’ questions honestly without naming names or not?

Those criticizing Hakstol for saying they had a forward out of position on the PK probably also would support the hiring of Tortorella or Laviolette, who single players out to the media fairly often.

I think that is a good thing to do from time to time. I get not throwing a player totally under the bus but also beating around the bush is stupid.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Wasnt that the year after Lappy got the job as the PK Coach?

From the Flyers website:

"After his retirement, Laperriere served a stint as the team's director of player development before being named an assistant coach under Craig Berube and, later, Dave Hakstol."

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
From the Flyers website:

"After his retirement, Laperriere served a stint as the team's director of player development before being named an assistant coach under Craig Berube and, later, Dave Hakstol."

Maybe if they want to keep him around as just a cheerleader they can Dwight Schrute him and make him an assistant to the assistant coach.

Reactions: DaphneLion

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

tenor.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think that is a good thing to do from time to time. I get not throwing a player totally under the bus but also beating around the bush is stupid.
Wanting a new coach is one thing, but getting up in arms about a coach answering a question about a goal against with honesty, saying without naming anyone that there was a positioning mistake, is ridiculous. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Reactions: hatcher

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I have no problem with the coach calling out coots. The last time that happened was the playoffs. By hexy. Coots went dominate.

I don’t think the team played as poorly as others. Was shocked Oscar only had 8 mins. Simmonds need to play third line mins.

While the forth line isn’t as bad. They are getting too many mins and odd usage. And when away from raffl they are bad again.

Pk is a problem. And hagg needs to be off the top pair. Weal while playing well in the offensive zone is cause too many penalties.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
A lot of coaches do this, the top players are the leaders and are held to a higher standard, but it's also a way to get a message to the team without setting up lesser players for abuse - fans aren't going to jump all over Giroux or Couts if they're singled out, but will on other players. And lesser players are more likely to struggle with confidence for obvious reasons, so you don't want to beat them down further.

With Weal, it was just exasperation, I'm sure he had a talk with Weal after he drew three cheap penalties, then he goes out and does it again in the first five minutes, leading to a PK goal. I'd want to strangle him if I were Hakstol.

All of these players are men if they can’t take criticism from coaches and fans then they need to find another job no matter how talented they are. This is Philly, fans will very easily call out star players. People called out McNabb very easily, same with Ryan Howard with his shit batting average, etc. Philly fans don’t really care about where players are drafted they care if they play well and try their hardest.

The only people in the organization that have the right to be exasperated are the players. They have to deal with a coach who runs a shit system, has terrible assistant coaches and continually plays slow washed up players over young guys. The. He has the balls to call out players who have dragged his ass for three years. All of the players probably want to strangle Hakstol since he continually makes they team worse with his decisions.

Still confused. Are you saying that if Hakstol is asked a question about a goal against he should avoid explaining what caused the goal?

You must be easily confused. I am saying that he should treat all players equally. If Couturier, Ghost, Sanheim and Konecny f*** up then he can call them out. But then he needs to do the same with his pets MacDonald, Hagg, Manning, Weise, Lehtera, Vandevelde, and Bellemare. They are all grown men and can take criticism.

He also need to take credit for the losses and bad play. Not that Andy Reid was amazing but he took the blame for all losses. Hakstol needs to use criticism through the media a better times, not throw players under the bus to deflect blame away from himself.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Wanting a new coach is one thing, but getting up in arms about a coach answering a question about a goal against with honesty, saying without naming anyone that there was a positioning mistake, is ridiculous. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

I have a hard time believing that most people here can separate their emotion from player/coaching evaluations.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Diversity is our strength! Censor those with different opinions!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's the PK.
It's f***ing baffling that ANYONE questions if it's the PK and the scheme....or just the goalies.

All someone has to do is go back and watch the Washington playoff series when we left Mason out to dry on the PK....vs when we switched to an aggressive style when Neuvirth came in.

People forget, Mason only allowed 4 ES goals against in the 3 games...and 1 was that awful one shot from the other end of the ice and tipped at center ice.

So keeping Washington to 4 ES goals against in 3 games is not bad at all.

But when you watch the PP/PK, we just sat there and allowed Ovi and Carlsson to tee off on him. It was embarrassing. Then we changed it as we changed goalies.

And Neuvirth allowed 2 ES goals in 3 games....and no PP goals.

And then we go back to the passive PK we all know and hate the following year.

Or, you could just watch and see how our OWN PP creates WAY MORE chances when they play against a passive PK vs when they rush G and Ghost all game.

But hey, I guess I don't watch enough so I am not seeing everything....

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's ****ing baffling that ANYONE questions if it's the PK and the scheme....or just the goalies.

All someone has to do is go back and watch the Washington playoff series when we left Mason out to dry on the PK....vs when we switched to an aggressive style when Neuvirth came in.

People forget, Mason only allowed 4 ES goals against in the 3 games...and 1 was that awful one shot from the other end of the ice and tipped at center ice.

So keeping Washington to 4 ES goals against in 3 games is not bad at all.

But when you watch the PP/PK, we just sat there and allowed Ovi and Carlsson to tee off on him. It was embarrassing. Then we changed it as we changed goalies.

And Neuvirth allowed 2 ES goals in 3 games....and no PP goals.

And then we go back to the passive PK we all know and hate the following year.

Or, you could just watch and see how our OWN PP creates WAY MORE chances when they play against a passive PK vs when they rush G and Ghost all game.

But hey, I guess I don't watch enough so I am not seeing everything....

STAGGERING STUPIDITY.

Reactions: Nizzle and Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad