Post-Game Talk: #9: Avalanche 4 at FLYERS 1, Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Just caught the Av's game. That GDT was closed, so I'll pollute the Boston thread with a few of my minimally insightful insights.

I love Simmer, but he shouldn't be on our first line, especially against a top line like Colorado's, or Boston's, or the Islander's, or Anaheim's ...

The Flyers are a terrible passing team right now. So many opportunities just go to waste. Makes me wonder what they're doing in practice.

Combine that with the poor PK, a mediocre PP (that should be very good) and the consistently slow starts at home and we've got a really underperforming team on our hands.

Serious question: is two days of practice before the Boston "tilt" (© Bill Meltzer) a very good thing, or a very bad thing?

On a positive note, Sanheim is playing really good hockey. Amazing that nobody here saw that coming.

And we lead the League in face-off percentage! I guess that's something.

Ok, it's late. Say goodnight to the kitty.

gvUecUU.gif

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Such a great score to wake up to... not.

It is funny how a guy finds so many different things to complain about at so many different players, yet fails to find even one bad thing done by the coach (hell, it is not about finding one, simply admit he maybe aint flawless). Although approaching game #270, I believe I can start using "coach" in quotation marks

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Other thread closed. Posting here.

Thoughts on yet another tepidly played loss:

Elliot: cartoonishly overcomitting. Shocking, I know.
Laughton: another strong game.
  • In the middle of another shorthanded rush.
  • Pickpocketed Rantanen, turned around and set his linemates the other way, then picked up the puck as a trailer and sent a nice feed to a winger to keep the offense going
Sanhiem: doesn't deserve more ice time, imo. He's done nothing to show us he's one of our best defenders.
  • He definitely didn't have a part in virtually every high quality chance this team had this game.
  • He didn't show off his quick feet on the first PP to keep a puck in, then followed it up with a nice cut to the net and spin pass to the point.
  • He never had a shift in the second where he kept a puck in by busting from the center of the blue line to the boards, then broke to the net, received a pass, and ripped a shot from the slot.
  • He needs more time in the AHL or on the 3rd pair to practice shot passes to Patrick for the only goal of the game
Hagg: another good performance by a top pair defender
  • Missed an easy 20 foot pass from the point to Giroux at the RW spot for a good scoring chance. Shocking, I know.
  • Next shift, he took a weak, low percentage shot in the offensive zone with no one in front. Possession over, and now they're scrambling to defend the MacKinnon line.
  • Forget about him catching Landeskog on that breakaway either. Am I blaming him for that goal? No. But similar to how I want to see Elliot make a momentum save there, I'd like to see our top pair defender who started at a similar area of the ice (albeit closer to the boards) make at least a little bit of a difference on that play. Please, keep rolling him out there against top competition. What other option do we have? Isn't there any big bodied, fluidly skating defender on this team able to generate offense while playing adequate defense? Wish we had one.
Patrick: more flashes from the kid today. I do think he'll come around, same with Provorov. Both are making good plays in traffic and good decisions with the puck. Provorov just keeps getting these flukely plays shoved on him like fanning on passes or not being on the same page as a breaking out winger or something.

Anyone who uses the "is the 4th line really the reason they're losing" line can just look at the play where Sanhiem sped down the wing, dropped it to Weise who had a good look to the net, and muffed it. Instead of an offensive zone draw, it's now a 2-1 the other way. Yes, 4th liners make a f***ing difference, imbeciles (Granted, I've seen that narrative more on hockeybuzz than here)

How come fluttering pucks break our players' legs but Ghost bombs a clapper into the back of Zadorov's leg and he just goes "owie"?

Everyone but Sanhiem was just ok. You will never win that way. If this isn't the start of Sanhiem's meteoric rise to top 4 ice time on a night in and night out basis, I don't know what to f***ing say. Praise be unto Him.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
"I- is this a dream?" I wonder aloud, arising from what I can only describe as beautiful filth.

I open the lid. A warm smile illuminates my face when I hear the squeaking of the hinges and feel the rush of cooler, fresher air. Alas, my time inside has come to an end, but don't all things come to an end? Besides, with an end starts a new beginning; a new day has dawned.

The warm linens hug my waist as I continue reading. 'Bröther' I whisper. I came across the HFBoards post I longed to see. Day after day...night after night. The work schedule has not been physically exhausting, but emotionally exhausting. A 3p-1:30a schedule has seen my time with T H E B O I S dwindle into only a hasty, though still joyous, occasion. Has this changed?

I whisper again, this time with a smile: "Bröther..."

HaPP4Yl.gif

@Magua
@Mordecai

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
"I- is this a dream?" I wonder aloud, arising from what I can only describe as beautiful filth.

I open the lid. A warm smile illuminates my face when I hear the squeaking of the hinges and feel the rush of cooler, fresher air. Alas, my time inside has come to an end, but don't all things come to an end? Besides, with an end starts a new beginning; a new day has dawned.

The warm linens hug my waist as I continue reading. 'Bröther' I whisper. I came across the HFBoards post I longed to see. Day after day...night after night. The work schedule has not been physically exhausting, but emotionally exhausting. A 3p-1:30a schedule has seen my time with T H E B O I S dwindle into only a hasty, though still joyous, occasion. Has this changed?

I whisper again, this time with a smile: "Bröther..."

HaPP4Yl.gif

@Magua
@Mordecai

same

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We need an aggressive coach. Someone who isn’t afraid to push the envelope a little. What do all three of those coaches have in common. Defensive first.

I’ve posted about it before. There’s a difference between defensively responsible and defensive first. The latter sucks the energy out of the players and the game.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
anyway you look at it, coots was out of position. Going back on the replay mackinnon made an amazing backhand pass .

And who was out of position for all the other PK failures? Hint: nickname rhymes with "slappy"

Until this coaching staff is jettisoned into the sun, the PK, lines, and player usage will continue to suck. I mean really, wouldn't it be nice to see plays being made at speed, rather than having players standing by the boards waiting for the puck, then passing to a "streaking winger" into a 1-on-3?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And who was out of position for all the other PK failures? Hint: nickname rhymes with "slappy"

Until this coaching staff is jettisoned into the sun, the PK, lines, and player usage will continue to suck. I mean really, wouldn't it be nice to see plays being made at speed, rather than having players standing by the boards waiting for the puck, then passing to a "streaking winger" into a 1-on-3?

i remember reading the same thing when berube was coach . and i guarantee you i will read the same thing when our next coach is hired.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
anyway you look at it, coots was out of position. Going back on the replay mackinnon made an amazing backhand pass .
Truth hurts some on this board because they wanna believe our stars are great but they are slow,average at best and now that the pp is finished we have nothing to really watch that is fun. Boring team no matter who coaches them.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

Slow forwards except two so what speed?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Truth hurts some on this board because they wanna believe our stars are great but they are slow,average at best and now that the pp is finished we have nothing to really watch that is fun. Boring team no matter who coaches them.

i disagree. Our high end talent is very good. However, they are still capable of making mistakes. Only Issue i have is not acknowledging those mistakes. This team is average at best , and again has no real 2nd line. Weise, lehtera, amac hak are not holding this team back from being a dynasty.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
i disagree. Our high end talent is very good. However, they are still capable of making mistakes. Only Issue i have is not acknowledging those mistakes. This team is average at best , and again has no real 2nd line. Weise, lehtera, amac hak are not holding this team back from being a dynasty.
Thats cool but do you think this team can win it with V,G,Simmonds,Coots as the top forwards compared to other top players on other teams? Slow,Soft,two of the four have skill the other two dont but get carried IMO.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Thats cool but do you think this team can win it with V,G,Simmonds,Coots as the top forwards compared to other top players on other teams? Slow,Soft,two of the four have skill the other two dont but get carried IMO.

i don't think this team can win with coots being being the first line center. V and G are top tier talents. If you can find or develop a center better than coots that over takes him and is able to play a skilled game with giroux and whomever, then that slots us in better position to be a more competitive team. The Giroux , Coots connection only works if coots is not holding back Giroux and contributing to his offensive production. So far on the year coots has 3 goals and zero assists. And one of those goals was a gift by bobrovsky.

Giroux patrick konecny
Lindblom Coots Laughton
Farabee frost Voracek

This is a roster i think could potentially be the lineup of a cup winning team. First line needs no explanation. 3rd line is actually a sneaky 2 way line. 2nd line is a dominate shutdown , play in your ozone line that could actually lead the team in minutes. Imo this lineup compliments each others ability very well. OF course we have never seen frost or farabee at the nhl level. So that is asking a lot from those two. But again i am just spitballing here.

Last edited:
Reactions: bennysflyers16

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I trust Couturier to do the right thing on the ice more than I trust Hakstool to know where any player is supposed to be on the ice. Couturier has been an amazing selke caliber defensive center almost his entire career. Hakstool has never been and will never be even an average NHL coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->