GDT: 9/30/23 - 5:00PM EDT - Nashville vs Tampa Bay [Preseason Game 4]

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Still a decent game from ABB. He made a few nice passes and could have had an assist or two with some finishing. The steal on Forsberg was also nice. He drew a penalty and took one bad one, so w/e. Don't see his spot in jeopardy yet.

Reactions: Sky04

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Agree on ABB having a good game, despite the bad penalty and the lack of points. I think he had three plays or so that could have set up goals. He doesn't look like a great skater to me is one of my concerns with him, which is doubly bad when he's also smallish.

After the first preseason game that Groshev and Merela played in, I was sold on Groshev. After their 2nd, Merela is neck and neck if not in the lead. Merela seems more polished and well rounded, where Groshev is more offensive and creative, so I'd think Merela is a better fit for the lower six.

Another attribute of Merela no one seems to have mentioned is the number of times he's fallen down without being touched. At least once in the rookie camp, where he got back up and set up a goal, and twice tonight. He's the obvious Killorn replacement!

I'd rank the prospects to make the team as following:
1. Merela
2. Groshev
3. ABB

Subbing these guys in to the practice lines they were using recently would look like:
Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Paul - Stamkos - Groshev
Eyssimont - Cirelli - Sheary
Motte - Merela - Jeannot
Glendenning

Merela showed tonight he can set up goons (Watson), so maybe he'd get Jeannott going to.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Merela is a very smart player, as evidenced by the first goal where he was out at the dot, saw a path to the front of the net, was looking straight at Heds, then stick on the ice to take the slap pass. That's a good example of veteran ice smarts.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Agree on ABB having a good game, despite the bad penalty and the lack of points. I think he had three plays or so that could have set up goals. He doesn't look like a great skater to me is one of my concerns with him, which is doubly bad when he's also smallish.

After the first preseason game that Groshev and Merela played in, I was sold on Groshev. After their 2nd, Merela is neck and neck if not in the lead. Merela seems more polished and well rounded, where Groshev is more offensive and creative, so I'd think Merela is a better fit for the lower six.

Another attribute of Merela no one seems to have mentioned is the number of times he's fallen down without being touched. At least once in the rookie camp, where he got back up and set up a goal, and twice tonight. He's the obvious Killorn replacement!

I'd rank the prospects to make the team as following:
1. Merela
2. Groshev
3. ABB

Subbing these guys in to the practice lines they were using recently would look like:
Hagel - Point - Kucherov
Paul - Stamkos - Groshev
Eyssimont - Cirelli - Sheary
Motte - Merela - Jeannot
Glendenning

Merela showed tonight he can set up goons (Watson), so maybe he'd get Jeannott going to.
Groshev was sent down I believe. I think ABB and Merela.will end up getting roster spots, and then it's just line blending to see who fits best where.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Since the beginning I was high on Merelä, glad to see he's showcasing his skills.
I honestly think he could slot in with Stammer on the second line. He's got good finishing skills, takes care of the defensive end and can set things up offensively.

Let's go Coop, give him a chance!

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Since the beginning I was high on Merelä, glad to see he's showcasing his skills.
I honestly think he could slot in with Stammer on the second line. He's got good finishing skills, takes care of the defensive end and can set things up offensively.

Let's go Coop, give him a chance!
Cant be worse than Paul or Jeannot in the top/middle six.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Was that in the first half of the season?
Yes, while Cirelli was out because of the shoulder surgery/rehab, Paul was up with Stamkos and Killorn. The line was excellent overall, and I remember seeing some stats that had them a top 5, maybe top 3, line in the league for a while there. As soon as Cirelli came back, they moved Paul back down and the chemistry of both the 2nd and 3rd lines suffered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad