GDT: 9/27/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Florida vs Tampa Bay in Orlando [Preseason Game 6]

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We're going to have 7 retired for Gudas anyway so no way they'll allow him to use that. :P

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Joseph's 15 goals in 70 AHL games is a bit of a concern as far as his scoring ability goes. Sure, he's had a great camp but 15 goals in 70 games is pretty pedestrian.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah but is he going to keep it if he officially makes the team? Single digits on a forward are ugly unless your name is Ben Clymer
7 on forwards at least used to be more common. Ted Lindsay, Rod Gilbert, Rick Martin, Mullen, Morenz, Ronning, Tkachuk ...Espo.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Joseph's 15 goals in 70 AHL games is a bit of a concern as far as his scoring ability goes. Sure, he's had a great camp but 15 goals in 70 games is pretty pedestrian.
That pedestrian led the Crunch in points. Not everyone is a goal scorer. Palat had 22 goals in 117 AHL games.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
they for sure got to keep Joseph and Cernak. Volkov Idk because they want him in a top six role ? so volkov could go back to the crunch ?
Yeah I keep seeing people slot him on the 4th line and if that's the case he just needs to go back to Syracuse. It was the same issue with playing Drouin with Boyle and Brown. I get that you want guys to earn a spot, but you also have to play to their game. Volkov's game is not that of a 4th line grinder. You put him in the top 6 or you leave him in Syracuse until you can put him there.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't think anyone is really expecting Joseph to be some kind of scoring dynamo. He's valuable because of the game he plays, not his numbers.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Do you move Stamkos to the wing? I'm not totally against TKO, the whole "they don't have chemistry anymore" is overblown, but I don't really like Stamkos on the wing.

Miller-Point-Stamkos
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Gourde
Erne-Paquette-Joseph

I like other options more

I'd rather pull a Penguins and go with three equal scoring lines. I don't believe we always have to put every scorer in the top-six. Our strength is our depth. We should use it.

Reuniting TKO is a real option, I think, and I'd like to see it look something like this:

Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Miller-Stamkos-Joseph
Killorn/Erne/Volkov-Point-Gourde

I think Point will create offense almost regardless of linemates. That's not true with a lot of our other scorers. I'd like to see Stamkos with two playmaking wingers, to keep him in shooting mode.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Not really. If I remember correctly, it took almost all of our Syracuse rookies half the year to figure out the pros, at which point they all began to get hot and took off.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah I keep seeing people slot him on the 4th line and if that's the case he just needs to go back to Syracuse. It was the same issue with playing Drouin with Boyle and Brown. I get that you want guys to earn a spot, but you also have to play to their game. Volkov's game is not that of a 4th line grinder. You put him in the top 6 or you leave him in Syracuse until you can put him there.

It's not really the same as Drouin though. Joseph would actually fit that role a little bit, but he's our latest swiss army knife, and he would just as easily fit in a top-six role.

I mean, you look at that skillset, and it's easy to envision him creating opportunities for skilled players, particularly shooters. I am NOT comparing him to MSL, but Joseph's ability to streak up the ice and hit the open man in the slot makes you think it could be just what the doctor ordered to get Stamkos back to scoring 5v5 goals.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hes been good. Making the right play. Not overthinking things. Also bringing some physicality back there.
Awesome! Is he gonna crack the top-6? I sort of think the ahl is best for his development now and maybe a late season call up like Cirelli

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Still more goals than Matthew Peca ever scored in an AHL season and everyone thought he should've been resigned. The Crunch had 3 players score 15 or more goals in the 15-16 season, Gourde was on that team and didn't score 15. In 16-17 they had 5 with all of them being scored by players 25 or older. Last season they had 5 score more than 15 again and Joseph was one of them. It's hard to score in the AHL and it's especially hard for rookies. He's not going to be a 25 goal scorer anyway, maybe he hits 20 once or twice.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Awesome! Is he gonna crack the top-6? I sort of think the ahl is best for his development now and maybe a late season call up like Cirelli

Id put him in now honestly. Think he is a better Dotchin. Well Dotchin when he was playing with Hedman, except Cernak is a better skater. I think he can handle the minutes. Dont think you want to overload him right away but think he can settle into that role as time goes on. I wouldnt send him back to Syracuse though. Hes definitely beaten out Koekkoek.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Id put him in now honestly. Think he is a better Dotchin. Well Dotchin when he was playing with Hedman, except Cernak is a better skater. I think he can handle the minutes. Dont think you want to overload him right away but think he can settle into that role as time goes on. I wouldnt send him back to Syracuse though. Hes definitely beaten out Koekkoek.
Idk though, has he beaten any of the top-6 of Hedman McDonagh Sergachev Stralman Coburn Girardi? Or maybe we rotate those last two with him to keep the vets fresh?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Still more goals than Matthew Peca ever scored in an AHL season and everyone thought he should've been resigned. The Crunch had 3 players score 15 or more goals in the 15-16 season, Gourde was on that team and didn't score 15. In 16-17 they had 5 with all of them being scored by players 25 or older. Last season they had 5 score more than 15 again and Joseph was one of them. It's hard to score in the AHL and it's especially hard for rookies. He's not going to be a 25 goal scorer anyway, maybe he hits 20 once or twice.

Agreed, although I think he'll be right around 20 a lot more than that, and 25 might happen once or twice. Especially with our team, where opportunities will be more frequent than with more offensively challenged teams. You look at Killorn scoring 40 points year in, year out, and, while Joseph probably doesn't have Killorn's shot, he gets himself into better positions due to much superior mobility. I think the two goals Joseph scored last night will be pretty much his signature goal. Similar to Gourde.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
It's not really the same as Drouin though. Joseph would actually fit that role a little bit, but he's our latest swiss army knife, and he would just as easily fit in a top-six role.

I mean, you look at that skillset, and it's easy to envision him creating opportunities for skilled players, particularly shooters. I am NOT comparing him to MSL, but Joseph's ability to streak up the ice and hit the open man in the slot makes you think it could be just what the doctor ordered to get Stamkos back to scoring 5v5 goals.
I'm talking about Volkov, not Joseph. Joseph fits on the 3rd, 4th. Volkov doesn't (though me may fit on the 3rd if it ends up being like Johnson and Gourde. Still think he'd be better served in a top 6 role). His game is a top 6 guy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Idk though, has he beaten any of the top-6 of Hedman McDonagh Sergachev Stralman Coburn Girardi? Or maybe we rotate those last two with him to keep the vets fresh?

I would rotate him with the Vets. I wouldnt lock him in with Hedman full time. Just think he should be playing with us this year. Think he makes us better overall defensively.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm talking about Volkov, not Joseph. Joseph fits on the 3rd, 4th. Volkov doesn't (though me may fit on the 3rd if it ends up being like Johnson and Gourde. Still think he'd be better served in a top 6 role). His game is a top 6 guy.

I don't agree with that. I believe Hose has mentioned Volkov would actually be a better fit for the 4th, because he's a lot more physical than Joseph. (Might not have been Hose; apologies if I'm wrong on that.) Volkov has good hands, but he has some grinder/Palat in him.

I don't think Volkov puts us over the top right now, even though I do think he's better than some of his competition, so I'd rather see him sent down than brought up and under-used. But if we put him in a steady 4th line role, with an opportunity to move up, I'd be good with it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It'd be hard for Cernak to jump in as a regular until the regular season starts. But I kind of agree with Rschmitz that we might go 11-7 on opening night, because Cernak's been too good, IMO, to keep out of the lineup, at least initially. But we've seen guys who've had great camps sent down before.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't agree with that. I believe Hose has mentioned Volkov would actually be a better fit for the 4th, because he's a lot more physical than Joseph. (Might not have been Hose; apologies if I'm wrong on that.) Volkov has good hands, but he has some grinder/Palat in him.

I don't think Volkov puts us over the top right now, even though I do think he's better than some of his competition, so I'd rather see him sent down than brought up and under-used. But if we put him in a steady 4th line role, with an opportunity to move up, I'd be good with it.

It was me, Volkov is just the bigger kid and uses his body well so playing a bottom 6 role isn't out of the question for him. Both are very effective defensively so Cooper could trust them in a bottom 6 role. Volkov just plays a bit more of a power game, not just with hitting he drives to the net more. Joseph isn't a perimeter guy but he is more inclined to pull up in the slot to shoot or pass than attack the crease. The beauty in both is they are pretty versatile so they both could play anywhere in the lineup while Joseph can play both wings, don't think I saw Volkov on the right last year.

Reactions: DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad