GDT: 9/18/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Carolina vs Tampa Bay [Preseason Game 1]

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'll be shocked if Joseph doesn't make the team. I still think Volkov has a shot, but I'd be less surprised if he doesn't make it. I think there's a good chance he ends up on the roster before the end of the season, but not sure about right out of camp.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'll be shocked if Joseph doesn't make the team. I still think Volkov has a shot, but I'd be less surprised if he doesn't make it. I think there's a good chance he ends up on the roster before the end of the season, but not sure about right out of camp.

We have at least two open spots for now (Kunitz, Callahan), possibly more (Conacher, Erne). I think we'll keep Erne on the team, but I think Conacher's gonna get beat out for a spot UNLESS we decide we'd rather pressbox him than a younger forward.

Either way, I think those two for-sure spots go to Joseph and Volkov. They both look like they fit, although I think Joseph's transition will be easier because his style is so based on simple-but-effective skills/habits. Both of them look like guys who can play just about anywhere in the lineup, which is a plus, and Joseph might have been our only guy who looked consistently good on the PK.

Tough to say what happens when Callahan comes back. Both of those guys look like they can play in the NHL immediately, and you have to assume that even if they're not already more effective than Callahan, that a little bit of NHL experience will allow them to surpass him. Maybe that's the point where we send Conacher down, and keep the younger guys? It would be better for everybody involved if we gave Callahan the odd night off, at the very least.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
We have at least two open spots for now (Kunitz, Callahan), possibly more (Conacher, Erne). I think we'll keep Erne on the team, but I think Conacher's gonna get beat out for a spot UNLESS we decide we'd rather pressbox him than a younger forward.

Either way, I think those two for-sure spots go to Joseph and Volkov. They both look like they fit, although I think Joseph's transition will be easier because his style is so based on simple-but-effective skills/habits. Both of them look like guys who can play just about anywhere in the lineup, which is a plus, and Joseph might have been our only guy who looked consistently good on the PK.

Tough to say what happens when Callahan comes back. Both of those guys look like they can play in the NHL immediately, and you have to assume that even if they're not already more effective than Callahan, that a little bit of NHL experience will allow them to surpass him. Maybe that's the point where we send Conacher down, and keep the younger guys? It would be better for everybody involved if we gave Callahan the odd night off, at the very least.
I agree about Callahan. I think he can be valuable to the team, but I think he's probably more valuable off the ice than on it at this point. Let Callahan rest for about 20-30 games this season and hope he can bring it in the playoffs again.

Volkov-Stamkos-Kuch
Palat-Point-Miller
Joseph-Johnson-Gourde
Killorn-Cirelli-Erne

I think the top 9 is kind of set in stone. I could see Volkov anywhere on the wings in the top 9. Like you though, I'd love that 3rd line to stay, so maybe a swap of Volkov and Palat if Cooper wants him with someone more defensively responsible like Point? That gives the top line a defensively responsible guy capable of chipping in and lets Volkov-Miller be the triggermen on the Point line while he does what he does.

I think I still perfer the fist example. 1st line kind of a repeat of last year with Namestnikov (I think Volkov will be better than Namestnikov), 2nd line a high skill shutdown line with Palat and Point and the 3rd line would just be unstoppable puckhounds. I'd love a big body grinder on the 4th. Maybe Erne can be that eventually, but I think that's really the one thing the team lacks. Look at what a guy like DSP did for the Caps. We don't really have that kind of guy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I just doubt Cooper puts Killorn on the fourth line. The guy has 1000 lives.

Conacher and Erne are on one-way contracts.

One good thing with Dotchin gone is we can carry 14 forwards this season, so we can have two press box guys (if Erne/Conacher don't become full-time we can make room for kids). But guys like Volkov... I don't want to see them in the NHL to play on the fourth line, so only bring them up if there's a spot for them.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

One good thing with Dotchin gone is we can carry 14 forwards this season, so we can have two press box guys (if Erne/Conacher don't become full-time we can make room for kids). But guys like Volkov... I don't want to see them in the NHL to play on the fourth line, so only bring them up if there's a spot for them.

Honestly I wouldn't mind Volkov being paired with Kucherov. Could give us a deadly one-two punch.

Volkov-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Miller

That's a deadly top 6...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Killorn did spent a little time on the 4th line last season though. I think it's possible he gets leapfrogged but more skilled players.

Volkov has a little bit of Palat in him, so he complements either of those top two lines really well. Joseph and Johnson seemed to be working with a bit of chemistry too, playing at high speed.

I think we end up with Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov again, but I also think Miller will go cold sooner or later, and I'd like to see us replace him with either a rookie or Yanni Gourde.

BennetAintInit

Sep 7, 2018
Fl.
These young bucks, league wide, are phenomenaly more talented than the old guarde. The few preseason games I've seen make me shudder. We fans are experiencing a tectonic shift in ability. Its like evolution in a microcosm. crazy. Aside from that, however much I live and breath the Bolts, I am feeling queasy about how they will content with this seasonal influx of young talent. Its like, Tampa started that game but now the league has caught up and ready X 2.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
These young bucks, league wide, are phenomenaly more talented than the old guarde. The few preseason games I've seen make me shudder. We fans are experiencing a tectonic shift in ability. Its like evolution in a microcosm. crazy. Aside from that, however much I live and breath the Bolts, I am feeling queasy about how they will content with this seasonal influx of young talent. Its like, Tampa started that game but now the league has caught up and ready X 2.

Nah, kids always shine in the preseason. They're the only ones who care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad