OT: 9/11 - Never Forget

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
Everyone has their own way of paying their respect to those who lost their lives that day. If you happen to be close by a blood drive today, and have the time to donate, it is an excellent was to do so.

Our son has received a couple blood transfusions in the past month. So we know how important donations are. Both my wife and I will be making our way down to Fenway today to support the Red Cross drive happening from 7a-7p. I would encourage anyone else in the area to do the same.

Last edited:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
a_610x408.jpg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
674 people from NJ died...there were 343 firefighters killed that day...and one company I read today lost 355 employees.

I know people who died, didn't go to work that day, and people who got out of the buildings. Weird to feel so sad and grateful on the same day? Just such an awful day all around for so many. I know five different people who's direct neighbor was killed...and they have all watched the sadness and kids growing up without a mom or dad.

I have a co worker who's son got out... He worked in building 2..He saw the first plane strike crystal clear from his office window...and ignored the "The building is secure its safe to go back to your office" and also ignored his buddies who wanted him to get in the elevator....He was halfway down the stairs when the second plane struck,.,,in a floor lower than his office so he never saw those guys again from the elevator or the ones that went back to the office. ... His father saw the second building get hit, then fall...thought his son was dead for close to 6 hours...Must have been an awful feeling...but he has a family now, and is getting by, but til this day he told me he cannot close his eyes without going over it in his head.

Rhoshambeau

May 21, 2010
Northern Connecticut
Rick had a booming voice, a big heart, a big spirit. He could fill a room with his energy, and with his broad smile and quick wit could turn up the edge of seriousness to reveal the humor beneath. He was lighthearted and good-humored; wherever he went he brought joy with him. Though casual and laughter-filled, Rick’s demeanor could not and did not obscure the seriousness that was the other side of his gift of humor. He loved people and his commitment to them was complete. The homeless woman whom he passed on his way to work and chatted with soon became “Maryâ€, and Rick shared with her, as she did with him, the pleasures and frustrations of his day. His voice would lift and his eyes brighten as he described his delight in teaching a toddler, on the T-ball team he once coached, how to hit the ball off the T in a single swing. While at Lafayette College, he helped run a soup kitchen and took seriously the responsibility he accepted in becoming a Big Brother. He had a deep commitment to family, and to his hosts of friends he was generous, kind and forever loyal.

http://rickthorpefund.org/About.asp

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Just want to thank you guys for this thread. It's subtle gesture but I am a New Yorker who lost several friends, and appreciate those who still take time to pay their respects in any form.

I also appreciate those who were too young to remember what happened but still find time to educate themselves and show that as Americans they do have a responsibility to honor those who were lost.

I was in Boston on 9-11 working near the fish pier. The city was just amazing in its support. Even Fenway played "New York, New York" once baseball resumed.

I will never forget Boston's compassion, patriotism and heroism, as hundreds went to NYC to volunteer their support at triages and Ground Zero search/cleanup efforts.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Take your kids to the memorial if you ever get the chance. It's amazing how much of an impact it has on even the wee youngins.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
This is my second September in NYC. They've really done a great job at rebuilding lower Manhattan but there is still work going on. Crazy to think that it's been 13 years, and you can still see the physical effects of that day in a structural sense. It's also always a bit eerie walking home and seeing the two beams of light emanating from where the towers stood.

It seems like SO long ago. You grow up so much from a Freshman in high school to a 27 year old man. I know it was a big deal, and I was astounded when it happened, but as I grow older I see how much more it affected the way of life around the globe. Every year I have a deeper understanding and respect for everyone that went to help and sacrificed to save as many lives as possible.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Just want to thank you guys for this thread. It's subtle gesture but I am a New Yorker who lost several friends, and appreciate those who still take time to pay their respects in any form.

I also appreciate those who were too young to remember what happened but still find time to educate themselves and show that as Americans they do have a responsibility to honor those who were lost.

I was in Boston on 9-11 working near the fish pier. The city was just amazing in its support. Even Fenway played "New York, New York" once baseball resumed.

I will never forget Boston's compassion, patriotism and heroism, as hundreds went to NYC to volunteer their support at triages and Ground Zero search/cleanup efforts.

At the end of the day we are all Americans and stand together vs evil and stand together in times of need.

That's what we do!

Wiseguyjohnny

Apr 18, 2013
NYC
The one day of the year i feel out of place as a NYC cop... i wasnt here for 9/11. i still lived in Mass... very sad, a lot of my coworkers are still having difficulty with it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
After thirteen years it is still an emotionally raw day for me. The collision of intense and conflicting emotions- pain, rage & sorrow- is something that will never leave me and something I experience every 9/11. I think it will always be that way.

May the dead rest in peace.

May the survivors find peace.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was at work when a women I work with got a call from her mother saying there had been an "accident" and a plane had hit the tower. I logged on to CNN just when the second plane hit....I knew then this was no accident. She and I spoke about this today with much sadness.

This still sends chills up my spine and makes my eyes water.

What a horrible day. I wish I thought there would be no more attacks but I am afraid there will be.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Everyone has their own way of paying their respect to those who lost their lives that day. If you happen to be close by a blood drive today, and have the time to donate, it is an excellent was to do so.

Our son has received a couple blood transfusions in the past month. So we know how important donations are. Both my wife and I will be making our way down to Fenway today to support the Red Cross drive happening from 7a-7p. I would encourage anyone else in the area to do the same.

my wife is working at the copley blood drive today (she is a vampire for the red cross) but usually works the Fenway one. biggest blood donation day of the year has been 9/11.

Last edited:

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
my wife is working at the copley blood drive today (she is a vampire for the red cross) but usually works the Fenway one. biggest blood donation day of the year has been 9/11.

I miss being able to donate. Two words. Blood thinner. :( Coumadin is the wonder drug that does wonders but the volunteers at blood drives tend to laugh at me if I sign up to donate.

9/11. Never forgive or forget !!!

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I hate my wife working the 9-11 drives. They had to evactuate fenway one year they were there and they just evacuated the copley marriott where she is working today but her supervisor wont let the workers leave. BFD is on site.

EDIT: Told to go back to work by Boston Fire Dept. something happend on 1st floor but not told what.

I swear it happens every 9/11 that the blood drives have some sort of evacuations.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I had to go to NJ for training today and we took the Acela down from Boston to Penn Station.

It definitely felt strange being in the area on 9/11 not going to lie.

The skyline is so different but I found it comforting to see the Freedom Tower standing tall over the city.

I remember that day vividly and will never forget.

Our train left at 7:05 so we missed the beams of light by only a few minutes however, I took this photo of the Freedom Tower as the sun set.

imagejpg2_zpsd7c64738.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
674 people from NJ died...there were 343 firefighters killed that day...and one company I read today lost 355 employees.

I know people who died, didn't go to work that day, and people who got out of the buildings. Weird to feel so sad and grateful on the same day? Just such an awful day all around for so many. I know five different people who's direct neighbor was killed...and they have all watched the sadness and kids growing up without a mom or dad.

I have a co worker who's son got out... He worked in building 2..He saw the first plane strike crystal clear from his office window...and ignored the "The building is secure its safe to go back to your office" and also ignored his buddies who wanted him to get in the elevator....He was halfway down the stairs when the second plane struck,.,,in a floor lower than his office so he never saw those guys again from the elevator or the ones that went back to the office. ... His father saw the second building get hit, then fall...thought his son was dead for close to 6 hours...Must have been an awful feeling...but he has a family now, and is getting by, but til this day he told me he cannot close his eyes without going over it in his head.

These stories are so tough, and I can't imagine. I remember living in Winthrop at the time (five minutes from Logan) with the ocean outside my door. It really was a spectacular, sky blue sky day. Walking down the breakwall to tell my best friend.

Always hated hearing multiple planes in the air over Winthrop; a pet peeve. That day, and the few thereafter, *silence.* A ceremony was held for one of the flight attendants at a park I visited daily at the time.

Thirteen years. Yesterday.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

A man I met a few years ago (his daughter was on a team I coached) barely made it out before the collapse.

I didn't know his story and he told me that he had tickets to the Super Bowl (The last Pats-Giants) but he was probably going to just make it to the game (or be late) because he was going to fly out Sunday morning because the girls had a game Saturday night.

I found it curious that he wouldn't skip a relatively meaningless rec league, 5th grade girls basketball game until I saw him interviewed on the news. He said that he realized how important family was because of that tragedy and he vowed to always be there for his family.

I didn't know anyone personally that passed that day (met Ace Bailey once or twice, but he wouldn't have remembered me) but I feel like I'm a better person just from knowing the guy I was talking about. He continues to walk the walk. Always there for his family and others when he can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad