Post-Game Talk: #9 - 10/23/18 | panthers @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is it just me or does it seem like Zuc is kind of butting heads with the coach over shooting more, the second day of him basically saying hes not changing his game to be a shooter.
The guys deserved a win, hopefully they keep learning and getting better. The structure looks 10x better than it did to start the season.

Shoot the damn thing!” David Quinn bellowed. “It’s not a beauty contest! Get the puck to the net!”

That right there is my favorite Quinn-moment so far. You could say it was Quinn-tessential

giphy.gif

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
This is unfortunately very true. It makes me sad when I make it back for games. Rangers’ games always feel so...subdued.

It's always been a very curious oxymoron to me, that the NHL are trying to protect the very people tuning into hockey games, from language hockeyfans enjoy anyway.

It's like when Youtube has their massive ad crisis a couple years ago. Suddenly you can't say "f***" on youtube anymore without being demonetized because advertisers don't want to be assosciated with that kind of language. Yet the very customers they advertise to, tune in...for that very f***ing thing.

When trying to please everyone, you simply are not allowed to have adult fun.

Reactions: egelband

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
It's always been a very curious oxymoron to me, that the NHL are trying to protect the very people tuning into hockey games, from language hockeyfans enjoy anyway.

It's like when Youtube has their massive ad crisis a couple years ago. Suddenly you can't say "****" on youtube anymore without being demonetized because advertisers don't want to be assosciated with that kind of language. Yet the very customers they advertise to, tune in...for that very ****ing thing.

When trying to please everyone, you simply are not allowed to have adult fun.

I actually think this is exactly why hockey games are not as lively as they once were. People at the games are shocked when they see a fight, that used to be common. They are shocked when they see a big hit-- that used to be common. Overall we live in a time when people live such extraordinarily comfortable lives that they don't relate to the passion and aggression involved in the game and that translates into the experience being more about " I was there" than it is about, " I'm here because I'm passionate."

Last night, my dad and I were about the only people yelling about the play on the ice anywhere near us. So many people were texting, taking pictures of themselves, and doing unrelated things to actually watching the game, that I'm not surprised it was really quiet in the building. I

I still love going to the games but it's not what it used to be and that's why I plug the idea of changing the in-game experience. I'd rather be in a fun environment that caters more to this newer generation of fan than an environment that just feels blah...

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I actually think this is exactly why hockey games are not as lively as they once were. People at the games are shocked when they see a fight, that used to be common. They are shocked when they see a big hit-- that used to be common. Overall we live in a time when people live such extraordinarily comfortable lives that they don't relate to the passion and aggression involved in the game and that translates into the experience being more about " I was there" than it is about, " I'm here because I'm passionate."

Last night, my dad and I were about the only people yelling about the play on the ice anywhere near us. So many people were texting, taking pictures of themselves, and doing unrelated things to actually watching the game, that I'm not surprised it was really quiet in the building. I

I still love going to the games but it's not what it used to be and that's why I plug the idea of changing the in-game experience. I'd rather be in a fun environment that caters more to this newer generation of fan than an environment that just feels blah...

Damn millennials.

Reactions: NCRanger

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like Zuc is kind of butting heads with the coach over shooting more, the second day of him basically saying hes not changing his game to be a shooter.
Not sure about changing his game. Quinn wants the entire team to shoot more. That does not mean stop looking to make plays. That means when given the opportunity to either overpass the puck on the perimeter or shoot the puck on net, opt to do the latter. That is not a game changing desire.

Reactions: Irishguy42

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Not to side track the post game talk, but I went to Vegas v Edmonton in Vegas while out there celebrating a buddies bachelor party. The Oilers fans were about 50 percent of the crowd. One of the most amazing things I’ve experienced at a hockey game was when they sang the Canadian anthem from start to finish( I know there is a tradition of this) but I was loving their passion. Ended up, the Oilers won in overtime and I ended up in a dueling piano bar filled with Oiler fans parading around Connor McDavid posters and tipping many back in honor of their victory. It was really an experience.

GOAT night!

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Agree on both points. Also, the year we went to the SCF, we started off something like 2-6-2. Now, I am not implying that is remotely possible this year. But, for where this team is, it could be much worse.

So 2014 was 1992, last year was 1993, and this year is 1994?

I like this!

If this is the cup year, I am completely fine if they call off the tank.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
MSG, in my opinion, lacks a comfort level for fans. There is no momentum generated in the seats. You can't point to just one thing, it's a combination. Corporate seats at the glass, fashionably late arrivals, a bigger ratio of casual to hardcore fan, even the subdued play of the team.

If you have cheaper seats, rabid fans pack the lower bowl. Hardcore fans come to every game and start the chants. You're not the dork yelling out a chant that dies 3 half way through. Now, you can't afford to come every game. The crowd is made up of people seeing 1 or 2 games a year. The regulars are further away. Profits over experience, not to be cynical.

Reactions: RGY and NCRanger

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not sure about changing his game. Quinn wants the entire team to shoot more. That does not mean stop looking to make plays. That means when given the opportunity to either overpass the puck on the perimeter or shoot the puck on net, opt to do the latter. That is not a game changing desire.

I agree with that but its 2 days in a row he basically said he wasnt going to be trying to shoot more.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007

Its the damn smart phones I tell you. People are no longer present in the moment anymore. They created a generation of people with no attention span. Any kind of boredom or times when its quiet and they might have to actually internalize thoughts, the first thing people do is whip out the damn phones to get their drug fix. Its a constant distraction even when not in use.

I went to Metallica last year, standing room area, and nearly everyone had their phones out taking pictures or Instagram streaming, which really killed the energy of the show. Anyone who has gone to a metal concert knows how crazy it can get, but there was barely any of that. People were more concerned with being transfixed on the phone getting the perfect shots for social media(another huge problem).

The smart phone is an amazing invention of course, but it has brought out a lot of the worst behaviors in people. Hell, people can't even enjoy a nice walk anymore without having their faces buried in their f***ing phone.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All hail Neal Pionk, casual collector of numerous assists via uncreative passes.

I mean I'm thrilled that the kid produces offense but he definitely has had luck with the puck going in shortly after he's had it so far.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
IMO everything I've seen of zibanejad tells me he's a PPG player IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and its a big one he can stay healthy because he's a guy that does not bounce back well after an injury. takes him way to long to get back to his game. if he can just stay healthy he's a beast. You could move him to wing to later in his career and he'll put up 30 plus goals no problem. my favorite player by far in this mess.

great game by georgiev that's the kid we know.

playing a 19 year old natural center out of position when he's trying to figure things out makes no sense to me other than the issue that they'll maximize hayes return if he's in the middle as opposed to moving him to wing to accommodate chytil. But if that's the case I really really rather they just send him to the minors. let him dominate for a few months and come back for the deadline.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Its the damn smart phones I tell you. People are no longer present in the moment anymore. They created a generation of people with no attention span. Any kind of boredom or times when its quiet and they might have to actually internalize thoughts, the first thing people do is whip out the damn phones to get their drug fix. Its a constant distraction even when not in use.

It's not just a "generation", practically everyone does it. Before smart phones it was books, or newspapers, or whatever. People don't like sitting around with nothing to do, smart phones just make it easy to do practically anything while you're idle.

That said I do agree that there's some information addiction. What's happening right this second in the news? In the sports world? I need to collect all the info I can whenever I have a second! Along with the kind of personal validation things like social media give people.

I went to Metallica last year, standing room area, and nearly everyone had their phones out taking pictures or Instagram streaming, which really killed the energy of the show. Anyone who has gone to a metal concert knows how crazy it can get, but there was barely any of that. People were more concerned with being transfixed on the phone getting the perfect shots for social media(another huge problem).

The smart phone is an amazing invention of course, but it has brought out a lot of the worst behaviors in people. Hell, people can't even enjoy a nice walk anymore without having their faces buried in their ****ing phone.

I think it's great that it's super easy to get very good quality pictures wherever you go of whatever you're doing but yeah some people take it too far and it seems like it becomes about taking pictures/videos/posting about what you're doing rather than enjoying what you're doing. I'm going to be pretty pissed when they extend data coverage to places like the backcountry wilderness so everyone can go backpacking and spend their entire time live streaming their thru hikes.

IMO everything I've seen of zibanejad tells me he's a PPG player IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF and its a big one he can stay healthy because he's a guy that does not bounce back well after an injury. takes him way to long to get back to his game. if he can just stay healthy he's a beast. You could move him to wing to later in his career and he'll put up 30 plus goals no problem. my favorite player by far in this mess.

For sure, I hold my breath every time he takes a big hit. I honestly still don't think he's quite as talented as some people keep saying...like compare his flashes of brilliance to top players in the league and I think they're a clear cut above him, but he's still a guy with the talent to push 70 points if he stays healthy and on track.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Quite aside from the fact that the puck is going in after Pionk's had it on his stick, he is quarterbacking the powerplay like the second coming of Zubov (the last 2 games haha). Holding it in, confident with it on his stick and making good plays. He is also defending pretty well. He's been in the argument as our best dman since getting a chance.
Him and De Angelo are easy to compare as they've played pretty much the same amount of games for us. 2o points plays 10, -5 plays -17. (Yes, I mentioned plus/minus, how dumb am I?)
In the big picture, there are plenty of teams in the east that we are better than or at a similar level to. I predict we finish 10th or so.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Issue is that Pionk really isn't defending pretty well if he's getting destroyed in shot attempts whenever he's on the ice. You're simply not defending well as an individual or a team when the other team is teeing off on your net whenever you're on the ice, even if they're not scoring on a lot of those shots (it stills means you're having to defend rather than trying to score goals yourself).

I see it this way...Pionk doesn't make a ton of glaring errors but his positioning is often suspect and he just doesn't really do much to stop rushes or take pucks away and start the team the other direction. He's not constantly getting walked or looking bad, but he's not actually actively doing a lot to shut down the other teams offense and transition the puck back down the ice.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think a lot of people are uncreative too. And you just have a bunch of weenies that go to the games and don't really have much more crowd chants than 1 or 2.

You don't stand in awe at the 14 year old who during a Pheonix Coyotes game on a Tuesday night poorly whistles the Potvin Sucks chant, and then proceeds to explain to all his "homies" on who are on their phones who Potvin was and how he, the poor whistler and saw his first game in 2011, is THE #1 fan?

Note: this fan will do all of this while blocking your view for up to 5 minutes not during a stoppage

Reactions: PlamsUnlimited

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I know. But this was my first ever NHL game at age 32. I had such high expectations

Except for the very, very deep runs [2014 ECF +SCF only], the regular season games at MSG used to be louder than most of the current playoff games. The "Let's Go Rangers!" were quite formidable, and depending on what section and the years prior to the two beer at a time rule, you might have to throw a few blows or at least watch out for it.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The crowd has been dead for years and it can be directly traced to management blasting music, which started because the league was embarrassed by the chants that could be heard on TV.
If that's the case, then get rid of the chants (Isn't high time we let go of that stupid chant about Potvin? We need to. Ulfie and Anders are long gone. and not good for the couple of kids that attend, it's embarrassing, which in turn
Enable the PA system to lower the music......which
Allows the fans to actually watch the game and interact with one another.
Also......confiscate cell phones. Lol.

Boy, do I remember sitting regularly up in the blues. Half the fun was interacting with other fans.

Sat in the red seats about a week later, and I felt I was in the twilight zone, watching and attempting to get a chant going.......literally alone, while others were looking at me as if I had lost my mind. Sad.

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That's the hope... although it may seem like he's been around forever now, he's only just entering his prime. If he can take that last step it would really take the pressure off Chytil and/or Andersson in the sense that they wont have to worry (at least in the early stages) about living up to the 1C hype everyone has bestowed upon them.
Not to mention it would help immensely if indeed we would ever attempt drawing a Panarin or the likes. Not saying I "want to", because the timing wouldn't be right.......but God knows we could afford him AND would have the way for some of the youngins, lessening the pressure. Question would be if he could "handle" NY and all that comes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad