Post-Game Talk: 8th straight wins vs Rangers in Montreal

BobbyFischer*

Good game by my boy Pricer.

Good game by my boy Peekay Subie-doo.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Beaulieu was good tonight, glad to see that. Another great game by Price and PK as usual. Team just keeps rolling along.

Hey man, I fully admit that I never thought we'd be this good, not this year anyway. But unlike '08 this team is not a one off fluke. This is the start of a long run for us being a good team. I'm suprised it's happened as quick as it has but I think we're going to be good for a long time. If Galchenyuk can emerge as the superstar we all hope he will be then we'll be awesome...

I'm not sure if the 07-08 team wasn't better than the current edition.

08 Markov > Subban
Hamrlik or Streit > 13 Markov
08 Kovalev > Pacioretty
Koivu > Desharnais
Higgins > Gionta
Kostitsyn brothers in 2008 = the Gallys

The current Ryder&Plekanec are better than they were however and Price of course is better today then in 2008, and better than Huet. I think we were more ''top heavy'' in 2008 but have better depth players today (better 3rd pair defense and a much better bottom 6).

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Price was great tonight, making a few really good saves: breakaway and open men in the slot. Subban is having an unbelievable year. Team Canada 2014 has to be looking strong at both these guys.

I think a coaching change is going to come for NYR soon, or at least it should. Seems the team is not the same and should be better than what they are. That change could propel them upwards.

NewHabsEra*

Price was outstanding, PK was great so was Emelin.. I really really liked Beaulieu tonight, say anything you want about Lefebvre, our kids are certainly progressing..

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
The only upside to Chuckie missing is that you get to see (slightly longer trajectory and impact against the boards/glass) just how freaking hard his wrister is. Also cannot wait for that to become one of the deadliest weapons in the NHL. Combine with dekes...*breathe*, *breathe*

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
08 Markov > Subban

I would say it's even, if not advantage Subban with what he's doing right now.

Streit barely played D when the team was rolling in the 2nd half of 2007-08, so I am not sure who to compare him to on this team.

I think Markov's current impact is pretty comparable to Hamrlik's that year, but obviously different players.

The 2007-08 team also could never find a true partner for Hamrlik. We rotated an old Brisebois, an inconsistent and shaky O'Byrne, etc. This year we know who our top 4 is.

But the main thing you left out is 5 on 5 play. This year's team kicks the 2007-08 team's butt 5 on 5.

Physical HABuse

Nov 3, 2002
Mississauga
Visit site
I would say it's even, if not advantage Subban with what he's doing right now.

Streit barely played D when the team was rolling in the 2nd half of 2007-08, so I am not sure who to compare him to on this team.

I think Markov's current impact is pretty comparable to Hamrlik's that year, but obviously different players.

The 2007-08 team also could never find a true partner for Hamrlik. We rotated an old Brisebois, an inconsistent and shaky O'Byrne, etc. This year we know who our top 4 is.

But the main thing you left out is 5 on 5 play. This year's team kicks the 2007-08 team's butt 5 on 5.

This aspect is what gets missed by those boneheads like Felger who says the Habs dive to get penalties because this is how the bulk of their goals is generated. Perhaps in recent years past we were much more dependent on our PP for goals.....but not necessarily this year....nope, the 5 on 5 play has been so much better.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This aspect is what gets missed by those boneheads like Felger who says the Habs dive to get penalties because this is how the bulk of their goals is generated. Perhaps in recent years past we were much more dependent on our PP for goals.....but not necessarily this year....nope, the 5 on 5 play has been so much better.
Agreed, 5 on 5 has been extremely refreshing to watch. In 08, we did rely on the PP too much but it WAS scary... General Markov on the point, with a motivated Kovalev on the half wall as another option... I can't wait til Chucky's ready to assume Kovy's position there. I'd literally give him a compilation of powerplays just focusing on Kovy and tell him to study it religiously.

Just an added point, Felger is a disgrace.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Definitely a great win. We were lucky that Price bailed us out in the 1st though.

The plus:
Price
The top-6
Beaulieu's amazing first game
Subban

The minus:
The bottom-6... well kinda.

Halpern to me didn't have a very solid game as a whole, and Armstrong was more often than not unwilling to engage in a forecheck and in boards battles. It was really painful to see. Prust has to regain his synchronism, that's for sure. Galchenyuk had a very meh game too.

That being said, Moen has been playing surprisingly good for the last few games. Dishing out the hits, winning puck battles and he actually made a very relevant shift in front of the net tonight when paired with Prust. I wouldn't mind seeing those two put back together in the near future if things add up well.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Insane game by Price, great game for the Pleks line and Subban, DD and Patches disappeared again, and Beaulieu showed some real potential.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
just watched the Rangers post game interview ,,Torts was humble! VERY impressed! very unlike him after another loss to us, kudos for the composure.
now for the rant...when I come into this Habs forum I certainly do not expect to see a "put your face here" LEAFS flashing banner!!right beside the sherdog forums scan me thingy ..damn it.. wtf guys!! seriously?

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Torts has this hardass image, but he's really a big softy when it comes to his players.

Early in the season, his team was complaining about being too tired, too many practices, and he let them have some time off.

It's a hard thing to manage sometimes. Give em an inch, they'll take a mile. He really is a lot of bark and no bite. Think the bark is to overcompensate for his leniency.

It's a tricky tightrope to walk.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
my thoughts that I scribbled down at the end of the 2nd echo those of the OP:

- subban is awesome
- gallagher is awesome
- prust has heart, love this guy
- price made some huge saves. let's give him a lot of credit, he looked really calm out there and when he's on his game he must be very intimidating to play against
- beaulieu looked pretty good!

and finally...

- wow the rangers are terrible :/ almost feel bad for them. Go Habs go! :yo:

BobbyFischer*

you're the only "Price bashing official club" member around to acknowledge that, I think he was talking about all the others

Again, I cringe whenever I see the words 'Price basher' or 'Price bashing' being associated with me.

All I want is for the team to do well.

If Price plays good then that is awesome and I'm happy and will only have good things to say about him. If he stinks it up, on the other hand, then I will not shy away from calling him out on it, simple as that.

That said... habs would have probably scored more goals tonight with Budaj in net.. :naughty::sarcasm:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Definitely a great win. We were lucky that Price bailed us out in the 1st though.

The plus:
Price
The top-6
Beaulieu's amazing first game
Subban

The minus:
The bottom-6... well kinda.

Halpern to me didn't have a very solid game as a whole, and Armstrong was more often than not unwilling to engage in a forecheck and in boards battles. It was really painful to see. Prust has to regain his synchronism, that's for sure. Galchenyuk had a very meh game too.

That being said, Moen has been playing surprisingly good for the last few games. Dishing out the hits, winning puck battles and he actually made a very relevant shift in front of the net tonight when paired with Prust. I wouldn't mind seeing those two put back together in the near future if things add up well.
If Bourque ever comes back, you might get your wish.

Galchenyuk-Eller-Bourque
Prust-Halpern-Moen (or Armstrong)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hamrlik was alright in 08 and Streit was a forward mostly. Not sure how either is better than Markov.

Hamrlik was great in his first year here, simply great. Ahead of Markov this year, except on the PP.

Streit indeed played more forward than defence at ES. But he got 62 points and that is stellar.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Rags were so soff. Only guy remotely doing anything close to running around was Rick Nash, and the event was so isolated that it really meant nothing(running Price). They are a totally emasculated team.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Price was outstanding, PK was great so was Emelin.. I really really liked Beaulieu tonight, say anything you want about Lefebvre, our kids are certainly progressing..

Ya, I'm having a hard time with that. On the one hand, the Bulldogs straight up stink and a lot of that is on Lefebvre. On the other hand, guys like Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu have looked solid when called up and seem to be playing with confidence. And Gallagher...

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
I'm not sure if the 07-08 team wasn't better than the current edition.

08 Markov > Subban
08 Kovalev > Pacioretty
Koivu > Desharnais
Higgins > Gionta
Kostitsyn brothers in 2008 = the Gallys

The current Ryder&Plekanec are better than they were however and Price of course is better today then in 2008, and better than Huet. I think we were more ''top heavy'' in 2008 but have better depth players today (better 3rd pair defense and a much better bottom 6).

Give you the other but not that one man. I liked both of those players but no. Every time Markov makes a mistake we blow it up and magnify it. If we did that every time he made a great play there would be a lot of very long threads around here... sure he's not vintage Markov but the general still got game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->