8th Best Hockey Nation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
(I posted this same poll about a year ago, but I don't remember who won it last year and I'm interested to see who'll win this time around! ;))

Its pretty clear that there are 7 elite hockey nations: Canada, Czech Rep, Finland, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, USA. (In alphabetical order, so don't flame me ;))

So who is the best of the rest!???

Be sure to explain your choice.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Tough choise between Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Germany, they have some NHL caliber players. In a few years Switzerland will be better though. They are already among top 5 in juniors and have been for years.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Denmark is getting better all the time.

At the moment I would say Austria, but really it's probably Switzerland or Germany.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
I´d say Germany, so they are not the most impressive side during this world championships yet, they always reached the 1/4 Finals of all big tournaments the last few years, which would make them a top 8 side.
Depthwise and prospectwise the number 8 nation should be Switzerland, so they still not have managed to really have an establish star player in the NHL (Aebischer and Gerber are solid goalies but nothing more). Longterm Switzerland should and will be the Number 8 nation, but to prove that they will need to start beeting Germany in important games.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
It's Switzerland. They have a good league, a good junior program and their national team is very good. Depthwise they are better than Germany and Austria.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Its not the Swiss. It should have been- it should be- but its not and they have to look inward to see why its not. Germany is well above their level, Austria is about to blow by the Swiss. Its a little hard to stomach, considering the resources that go into the junior program.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I think the biggest problem for the Swiss is that all of their good players (save Gerber and Aebischer) are content to just make money playing at home. There is no real reason for a guy like Cereda to toil around in the AHL when he is going to be better than most of the competition at home. This is not to mention the fact that he would be making a ton more money at home!

I dunno. We'll just have to wait and see how Ramholt and Barstchi turn out.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Riddarn said:
It's Switzerland. They have a good league, a good junior program and their national team is very good. Depthwise they are better than Germany and Austria.

My thoughts. I voted Switzerland but it's close, there is some good NHLers in Germany...

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
i'm going with germany at the moment. if all NHLers are on board, germany has the edge over switzerland, austria and latvia. but it's really close. and i think that austria is taking big steps upwards, same with switzerland who seem to learn how to play tougher. dunno much about latvia and their youth.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
After waiting a long time with the decision, I voted for to Germany, Switzerland 2nd. I don't think Austria deserves to get one of the top 2 spots here just because of Vanek (who still has a long way to go) and a couple of solid games in the preliminary round. But as much as I hate to admit it, Germany tops us right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad