Robot City
St. Louis Cardinals:

Manager: Joe Torre

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: King Kelly (R) | SP1: Bob Gibson (R) | 1. King Kelly (R)
1B: Buck Leonard (L)| SP2: Rube Waddell (L) | 2. Tony Gwynn (L)
2B: Rogers Hornsby (R) | SP3: Dizzy Dean (R) | 3. Rogers Hornsby (R)
3B: Harmon Killebrew (R) | SP4: Red Ruffing (R) | 4. Harmon Killebrew (R)
SS: Lou Boudreau (R) | SP5: Bill Foster (L) | 5. Duke Snider (L)
LF: Al Simmons (R) | Long1: Burleigh Grimes (R) | 6. Al Simmons (R)
CF: Duke Snider (L) | Mid1: Al Hrabosky (L) | 7. Buck Leonard (L)
RF: Tony Gwynn (L) | Mid2: Bob Stanley (R) | 8. Lou Boudreau (R)
Bench: Bill Terry - 1B (L) | Short1: Ron Perranoski (L) | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Ernie Lombardi - C (R) | Short2: Rob Dibble (R)
Bench: John McGraw - 3B/SS (L) | Closer: Bruce Sutter (R)
Bench: Max Carey - CF/LF (S) |
Bench: Dwight Evans - RF (R) |
Bench: Red Schoendienst - 2B (S) |

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
New York Yankees:

Manager: Bobby Cox

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Carlton Fisk | SP1: Mordecai Brown | 1. Joe Dimaggio
1B: Hank Greenberg | SP2: Robin Roberts | 2. George Davis
2B: Bobby Grich | SP3: Bert Blyleven | 3. Hank Greenberg
3B: David Wright | SP4: Felix Hernandez | 4. Barry Bonds
SS: George Davis | SP5: Harry Brecheen | 5. Carlton Fisk
LF: Barry Bonds| Long1: Jim Brewer | 6. David Wright
CF: Joe Dimaggio | Mid1: Brad Ziegler | 7. Andruw Jones
RF: Andruw Jones | Mid2: Eric Gagne | 8. Bobby Grich
Bench: Bill Dahlen (SS/3B) | Short1: Joe Nathan | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Keith Hernandez (1B) | Short2: Dave Righetti
Bench: Gene Tenace (C) | Closer: Lee Smith
Bench: Willie Randolph (2B) |
Bench: Pete Browning (OF/INF) |
Bench: Dummy Hoy (OF) |

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Going with a 4 man rotation again with Brech in the pen.

Need more Mordecai magic.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Off we go.....

Game 1 began at a fever pitch in St. Louis as fans threw oranges and apples during a pregame showing of the movie Fever Pitch. This unfortunate-ness carried over into the start of the game as Ole Triple Digits punched out 9 consecutive Cardinals to start the game. In the Top of the 5th the Yanks plated 2 on a single by George Davis. Bob Gibson would manage the only hit, a two bagger that dropped in between Bonds and Dimaggio and the Yankees would take Game 1 on a complete game one hitter by Brown, 2-0. Fever Pitch has not been shown again, anywhere to this day.

Game 2 saw the Cardinals even up the series when GM Darko tried to slip a cricket bat into the rack for Bonds to use. Unknowingly, he brought the flat lumber up to plate and hit a long foul ball that arose the suspicion of the sold out crowd. After he singled, Torre immediately signaled to check the bat and when it was found to be illegal, Bonds was called out and was seen in a heated argument with manager Bobby Cox in the dugout. Later in a postgame interview, Cox would declare he knew nothing of the bat swap but also admitted to being "somewhat soused". The Cardinals would go on to tie the series via a 5-3 win.

The Yankees first ATD World Series home game in 5 years was a maddening scene. Lots of things happening everywhere. Things everywhere. Blyleven and his buddy Uncle Charlie came to the park on official business, plus his curveball was really working well, as the Yankees hammered out 10 hits and 6 runs off Cardinals starter Dizzy Dean who opined "Welp, it is what it is". What it was, was a convincing Yankees win to put them 2 away from a title by the count of 6-1.

In Game 4, Felix Hernandez continued to lose his way in his first postseason as he was lit up to the tune of 12 runs on 9 hits including a grand slam from Hornsby. Red Ruffing was masterful again as he dominated a huge Yankees lineup scattering 4 hits and allowing 1 earned. After the game, Hornsby expressed his feelings of playing in an environment where he can watch his own swing. "It's something. It really is. The moving pictures with my swing. Skip showed me the Brooks Baseball and it help me learn up on that Felix fella." Whatever the case, the series was tied headed back to St. Louis.

Game 5 pitted the consensus postseason MVP in Mordecai Brown back against Bob Gibson. This time Gibson rose to the challenge and the game was knotted at 2 a piece heading to the 7th. Bobby Grich led off with a double and after a Brown sacrifice, Joltin' Joe hit a shallow fly ball to CF. Duke Snider camped under it but the throw got away from King Kelly and the Yankees would take a thrilling 5th game by a score of 3-2, forcing a do or die Game 6 for the Cardinals.

Game 6 in the Bronx saw an outbreak of gout ravage the Cardinals locker room. First it was Rube Waddell's foot, next it spread to Al "Bucketfoot" Simmons (true to his name), later to super utility man John McGraw. Though doctors flown in from as far away as Boston claimed gout had zero contagious properties, there it was, another epidemic sweeping the Cardinals locker room in the biggest game of the year, much like the previous season. With over 50% of the team suffering through intense gout pain, the deciding game was a walk in the park for the Yankees, literally as Rube Waddell could not plant his foot and walked 6 men in a row, a World Series record (I assume). The Yankee fans began early celebration in the 6th inning holding up signs that read "Don't Doubt the Gout" and "Our Feet Feel Fine (How Are Yours?)". When the smoke cleared the Yankees had won 21-3 and celebrated their first ATD championship in their history.

Congrats Darko. Another Cardinals team ravaged by disease. :help:

Thanks again to everyone for all their participation this year. Great show. See ya next January.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great season everyone, congrats darko. I had you both as my #1 teams in your respective leagues. This was a lot of fun. Can't wait until next year!

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Congrats to both finalists for making it to end.

And congrats to darko for the World Series win.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
3254294MaverickGN7061390317103_1400308353.jpg

... Game 2 saw the Cardinals even up the series when GM Darko tried to slip a cricket bat into the rack for Bonds to use. ... Though doctors flown in from as far away as Boston claimed gout had zero contagious properties, there it was, another epidemic sweeping the Cardinals locker room in the biggest game of the year, much like the previous season. ...
I was the Editor of my college literary publication and good job, Pwn. I had to read it after Sean's orthodontist appt, but it was time well spent.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I do try to add a bit of humor here and there when I can. Keeps things light I reckon. Only so much serious game recaps one can read.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Good Ole Triple Digits was a beast. Channeling his inner Koufax. Poor Felix Hernandez got murdered in every start lol.

Excellent draft by you Pwn, you continue to keep churning out great teams. Thanks for putting this draft together and also big thanks to everyone who participated. Well played all.

Don't Doubt The Gout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->