Pittsburgh Porters:

Manager: Casey Stengel

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Yadier Molina | SP1: Orel Hershiser | 1. Joe Jackson (L) |
1B: Frank Thomas| SP2: Ron Guidry | 2. Honus Wagner (R)
2B: Joe Gordon | SP3: Waite Hoyt | 3. Stan Musial (L)
3B: Home Run Baker | SP4: Jon Lester | 4. Frank Thomas (R)
SS: Honus Wagner | SP5: Noodles Hahn | 5. Home Run Baker (L)
LF: Shoeless Joe Jackson | Long1: Dutch Leonard | 6. Carlos Beltran (S)
CF: Carlos Beltran | Mid1: Takashi Saito | 7. Joe Gordon (R)
RF: Stan Musial | Mid2: Armando Benitez | 8. Yadier Molina (R)
Bench: Andrew McCutchen (OF/R) | 7th: Hoyt Wilhelm | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Joey Votto (1B/L) | 8th: John Franco
Bench: Matt Williams (3B/R) | Closer: Mariano Rivera
Bench: Roger Bresnahan (C/R) |
Bench: Elmer Flick (OF/L) |
Bench: Bobby Wallace (MI/R)|

Last edited:

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
San Francisco Giants:

Manager: Bruce Bochy

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Mickey Cochrane | SP1: Cy Young | 1. Billy Hamilton (L)
1B: Cap Anson | SP2: Whitey Ford | 2. Barry Larkin (R)
2B: Jeff Kent | SP3: Tom Seaver | 3. Larry Walker (L)
3B: Scott Rolen | SP4: Cole Hamels | 4. Lance Berkman (S)
SS: Barry Larkin | SP5: Jim McCormick | 5. Cap Anson (R)
LF: Lance Berkman | Long1: Adam Wainwright | 6. Mickey Cochrane (L)
CF: Billy Hamilton | Long2: Tommy John | 7. Jeff Kent (R)
RF: Larry Walker | Mid1: Bobby Thigpen | 8. Scott Rolen (R)
Bench: Pee Wee Reese (SS) | Mid2: Dick Radatz | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Prince Fielder (1B) | Short1: Kenley Jansen
Bench: Buck Ewing (C) | Short2: Don McMahon
Bench: Jose Bautista (OF/3B) | Short3: Rafael Soriano
| Closer: Wade Davis

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think that the Porters can sell out their pen with all hands on deck approach, since it will be a one game winner take all.

So while Hersheiser or other, may not do it for you, that Porters pen is the best in ATD imo.

Also you can't argue that any of the Giants starters could just have a lights out game.

Agreed,with others, an interesting matchup.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That bullpen changes the game big time, because you figure with that lineup, the Porters are bound to have the lead at some point.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
That bullpen does definitely play to his advantage in a one game playoff. That lineup could manage 2 or 3 runs against Cy but there is zero room for error for Hershiser. My concerns with his team are in a 7 game playoff series. That bullpen would undoubtedly be worked to death but I suppose that is a discussion for another time.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'd actually probably do a wild approach and start innings 1-3 and maybe 4 with Hoyt Wilhelm. He's more than capable of pitching multiple innings and is one of the all time great relievers. Plus i think his knuckleball would really throw off that weaker lineup.

This gives the Porters a chance to get their lineup 2 whacks at Cy Young, before I'd consider removing Wilhem. I just don't know how he makes it unscathed throughout the course of the game. He's got 4 LH bats among the first 6 hitters to contend with and the pair of RH'ers he faces are elite all time hitters (Wagner/Thomas).

I think the Porters can take this on the clear superiority of their lineup and bullpen, not to mention having a master like Stengel in the dugout to direct it all.

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, I think the Porters can piece together 9 innings of good pitching in a winner take all game.

The question is who is getting the start for the Giants? Young, Ford, or Seaver?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd actually probably do a wild approach and start innings 1-3 and maybe 4 with Hoyt Wilhelm. He's more than capable of pitching multiple innings and is one of the all time great relievers. Plus i think his knuckleball would really throw off that weaker lineup.

This gives the Porters a chance to get their lineup 2 whacks at Cy Young, before I'd consider removing Wilhem. I just don't know how he makes it unscathed throughout the course of the game. He's got 4 LH bats among the first 6 hitters to contend with and the pair of RH'ers he faces are elite all time hitters (Wagner/Thomas).

I think the Porters can take this on the clear superiority of their lineup and bullpen, not to mention having a master like Stengel in the dugout to direct it all.

I don't know, while Orel is not someone I would want as my top pitcher in this competition, he does have a very good track record in postseason play (minus his stint as a Cleveland Indian at the ages of 36 and 37). He's certainly no slouch.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Another very close contest featuring Cy Young against a very potent Porters offense. It was the Giants taking a quick lead early as Cap Anson batted in Lance Berkman to give them a 1-0 lead. In the 4th, Home Run Baker drove a Cy Young pitch high over the cf wall for a 2 run homerun to give the Porters the lead. The bullpen held fast in the late innings for Pittsburgh as Cy Young went 8 for the Giants but the teams found themselves tied in the 9th. In the top of the 9th, with one out and Larkin on 1st, Larry Walker hit a roller up the first base line. Rushing to try and turn two, The Big Hurt failed to get his glove down and the ball rolled into right field. It was Larkin's speed vs Musial's arm to keep the Porters season alive. The play at the plate was bang bang, however, Larkin was called safe and the Giants held the Porters scoreless in the 9th for their play-in game win. Very close vote again gentlemen. Congrats. The Giants will travel to Montreal next for a date with a very impressive Royals squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad