Robot City
St. Louis:

Manager: Rube Foster

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Josh Gibson | SP1: Grover Cleveland Alexander (R) | 1. Luke Appling (R)
1B: Dan Brouthers | SP2: Smokey Joe Williams (R) | 2. Oscar Charleston (L)
2B: Ryne Sandberg | SP3: Tim Keefe (R)| 3. Josh Gibson (R)
3B: Ray Dandridge | SP4: Old Hoss Radbourn (R)| 4. Mule Suttles (R)
SS: Luke Appling | SP5: John Donaldson (L) | 5. Dan Brouthers (L)
LF: Ed Delahanty | Long1: Leon Day (R) | 6. Ed Delahanty (R)
CF: Oscar Charleston | Mid1: Ellis Kinder (R) | 7. Ryne Sandberg (R)
RF: Mule Suttles | Mid2: Stu Miller (R) | 8. Ray Dandridge (R)
Bench: Martin Dihigo (OF/IF/C) | Mid3: Martin Dihigo (R) | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Héctor Espino (RF/LF) | Short1: Bobby Shantz (L)
Bench: Wally Schang (C/OF) | Short2: Don Mossi (L)
Bench: Toby Harrah (3B/SS) | Closer: Huston Street (R)
Bench: Jake Bleckley (1B) |
Bench: Chet Lemon (CF) |

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Homestead Grays:

Manager: Tommy Lasorda

Position Players
|
Pitchers
|
Lineup

C: Ivan Rodriguez | SP1: Jim Palmer (R) | 1. R Henderson (R)
1B: Jim Thome | SP2: Addie Joss (R) | 2. E Collins (L)
2B: Eddie Collins | SP3: Catfish Hunter (R) | 3. Jim Thome (L)
3B: Chipper Jones | SP4: Nap Rucker (L) | 4. C Jones (S)
SS: Nomar Garciaparra | Swing: Masaichi Kaneda (L) | 5. N Garciaparra (R)
LF: Rickey Henderson | Long: Eddie Cicotte (R) | 6. I Rodriguez (R)
CF: Cristobal Torriente | Long/Mid: Max Lanier (L) | 7. C Torriente (L)
RF: Enos Slaughter | Mid: Tony Watson (L) | 8. E Slaughter (L)
Bench: Kiki Cuyler OF (L) | Setup R: Sergio Romo (R) | 9. Pitcher's Spot
Bench: Katsuya Nomura C (R) | Setup L: Aroldis Chapman (L)
Bench: Rabbit Maranville MI (R) | Closer: Craig Kimbrel (R)
Bench: Steve Garvey CI (R) |
Bench: Ryan Braun CO/3B (R) |
Bench: Reggie Smith RF/CF (S)

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I wish there were splits on the Negro league players. I wonder if the research for Negro League will ever get that deep. I know there's a huge swell of research of old papers and such to find accurate stats. I would hope someone would get ambitious enough to try and compile splits.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Frankly in a one game playoff, it comes down to the #1 pitcher, and Alexander is just superior to Palmer, who will be especially tired after being in a four man rotation

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Frankly in a one game playoff, it comes down to the #1 pitcher, and Alexander is just superior to Palmer, who will be especially tired after being in a four man rotation

While he certainly has an advantage there, the Grays have the upper hand of having their 2-4 hitters as lefties (Chipper's OPS was 60 points higher vs RHP), vs a heavy right-handed lineup (including Gibson and Suttles). Palmer also played on 4 man rotations with the Orioles in the 1970s, so he's used to it.

There's also an advantage with the Grays on the basepaths. While the counter to that is Gibson's throwing arm might keep them at bay, I'd imagine Pudge would have an easier time with the top of the Stars lineup.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Palmer, Joss, and Rucker were all used to short rotations and less rest than today's pitchers get. Not to mention I have 3 pitchers in the pen that are more than capable of shortening my starter's loads by being able to start games and pitch multiple innings in relief, so my starters didn't have to labor through the back end of their starts when they didn't have their "A Game".

And your logic is flawed about the one game playoff decided by the best starting pitcher. Alexander may be better, but Palmer can just as easily shutdown your offense. Low scoring tie game, or even going down by some runs early, could force Alexander out of the game in favor of trying to scratch out some runs. Alexander in a 1 game playoff vs a normal MLB team would normally be money in the bank... but this is an All-Time All-Star team, no easy outs and no major flaws (compared to you're average play-in team).

Remember, Rickey and Collins at the top of the lineup is almost a certain 1-0 start to the game, if not 2/3-0 with Chipper slugging .541 and Thome slugging over .600 against RHP.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
In what would be the closest ATD play-in game vote in our illustrious history, the Grays traveled to St. Louis for a date with the Stars. Palmer posed for early photos with packages of underwear while Dan Brouthers smiled wryly (we think). The game was scoreless until the 5th when Ed Delahanty tried to cut through the infield grass unnoticed trying to go 1st to 3rd on a Sandberg single. Noted hater of all things St. Louis, umpire Don "Satan" Denkinger noticed straight away and called Delahanty out, inciting a riot on the Stars bench. Rube Foster was ejected shortly after and when the dust had settled, the Grays were down 2-1 in the top of the 9th facing Stars closer Huston Street. After a Collins bunt base hit, Jim Thome pulled a 2-1 offering off the right field foul pole for a dramatic go ahead homerun. Kimbrel retired the side in the 9th and the Grays had eeked out a tough victory. Congrats to both teams, closest vote I can remember seeing. Next, the Grays stay in St. Louis for a date with some crappy Cardinals team.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In what would be the closest ATD play-in game vote in our illustrious history, the Grays traveled to St. Louis for a date with the Stars. Palmer posed for early photos with packages of underwear while Dan Brouthers smiled wryly (we think). The game was scoreless until the 5th when Ed Delahanty tried to cut through the infield grass unnoticed trying to go 1st to 3rd on a Sandberg single. Noted hater of all things St. Louis, umpire Don "Satan" Denkinger noticed straight away and called Delahanty out, inciting a riot on the Stars bench. Rube Foster was ejected shortly after and when the dust had settled, the Grays were down 2-1 in the top of the 9th facing Stars closer Huston Street. After a Collins bunt base hit, Jim Thome pulled a 2-1 offering off the right field foul pole for a dramatic go ahead homerun. Kimbrel retired the side in the 9th and the Grays had eeked out a tough victory. Congrats to both teams, closest vote I can remember seeing. Next, the Grays stay in St. Louis for a date with some crappy Cardinals team.

What a wild game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad