Proposal: 88 swap- Kane for Nylander++

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
If Chicago falls apart this season and Kane decides maybe he wouldn’t mind moving on to chase another cup or two while he’s still a great player.

Chicago gets Nylander, 1st in 2021 and Rodion Amirov or Liljgren.

Leafs get Kane retained to 50%

Obviously dependent on Kane agreeing to go to Toronto because of his NMC.

Chicago gets more control with Nylander and a younger player who could step into Kane’s role, even if he isn’t that close to Kane’s caliber at this stage of their careers. They also get 1 promising 2020 first round pick in Amirov. And the Leafs hopefully late 2021 first round pick.

Leafs get an experienced winner and one of the best playmakers of his generation. They also get some additional cap space to accommodate some internal raises on guys like Hyman and Freddy.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
There are much better teams to chase a cup on than Toronto. No way Chicago eats 50% of his contract anyways

It’s not a desperation cup chase for Kane, if he likes his fit there for 2 and a half years more than he likes Chicago it makes sense. Gets to play with Marner and JT, two other high skill London nights alumni and fellow American star in Matthews.

Maybe there are other contenders who can swing a deal who he thinks have a better chance to win but the team has to like the package too.

Chicago is only eating the 50% for 2 more years. Given Toews situation, Keith and Seabrooks age and Kane’s own quickly approaching UFA they might really like the idea of adding 3+ first round picks value in guys all under the age of 25.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
No thanks, would Kane even want to come here anyway? Assume he has a NMC??

Ledge And Dairy

It’s not a desperation cup chase for Kane, if he likes his fit there for 2 and a half years more than he likes Chicago it makes sense. Gets to play with Marner and JT, two other high skill London nights alumni and fellow American star in Matthews.

Maybe there are other contenders who can swing a deal who he thinks have a better chance to win but the team has to like the package too.

Chicago is only eating the 50% for 2 more years. Given Toews situation, Keith and Seabrooks age and Kane’s own quickly approaching UFA they might really like the idea of adding 3+ first round picks value in guys all under the age of 25.
I feel like you are trying to justify something that would fundamentally flawed and extremely unrealistic

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I feel like you are trying to justify something that would fundamentally flawed and extremely unrealistic

I’m not saying it’s the most likely trade but it’s a big one I think makes sense for both teams and possibly the player with the NMC. Can’t remember if Willy has a modified NTC this year but the chance to play with his brother and be the go to guy on the PP might be enough incentive.

Ledge And Dairy

I’m not saying it’s the most likely trade but it’s a big one I think makes sense for both teams and possibly the player with the NMC. Can’t remember if Willy has a modified NTC this year but the chance to play with his brother and be the go to guy on the PP might be enough incentive.
When was the last time a team retained 50% on a multi year contract that was over 6M let alone over 10M? Kane's not going to waive to Canada anyways

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
No way. The leafs need their 1st to gain ELC contributors and same with Lil/Amirov. This one just doesn’t make sense. Also Nylander plays his role well. He may not be everyone’s ideal player but he’s a hell of an offensive winger

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
When was the last time a team retained 50% on a multi year contract that was over 6M let alone over 10M? Kane's not going to waive to Canada anyways

I think the flat cap situation will change the way a lot teams look at things. If Chicago’s management has any sense they know their team isn’t anywhere close to completing. Why not retain for 2 years where you know you are rebuilding if you are getting three young cost controlled pieces.

I’m sure some other teams would be interested but how many can make a package like that and it still be worth it for them?

Kane would be very close to home and only has two seasons left on his deal after this. Definitely worse places he could play the next two years...

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
For Kane at 50%, Hawks get Nylander plus another very good asset. For the record a late 1st is not a very good asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad