Prospect Info: #88 Keith Petruzzelli - signs with marlies

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Hoping he ends up being our goalie of the future, since Mrazek doesn't appear to be.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Really surprised he fell that far but you'll love him. Here's some parts of a write-up I did for him:

There’s more than just size to Keith Petruzzelli. He’s stepped up this season to be named the USA Hockey Goalie of the Year and made his presence known in the USHL. Petruzzelli is a dangerous combination of size and hockey IQ. He’s a strong puck tracker in all situations whether it’s screens or quick passing. The ability to read the play, be set, and in position is especially valuable when you have Petruzzelli’s size. This ability also translates into him being comfortable in his conservative crease depth along with playing on his knees. Petruzzelli knows his size and so by playing on his knees he’s effectively shutting down the bottom portion of the net. There’s very little panic in Petruzzelli’s game and it shows in multiple areas of the game from puck scrambles to net crashes. He holds his ground and knows his reactions/size will win out.

The footwork will be one of the biggest parts of Petruzzelli’s game that he will need to work on. It’s average for the USHL level of play but will be exposed at the NCAA level. With a frame like his though it’s understandable as most of the largest young goalies are still growing and filling out therefore leading the footwork always being something they need to focus on. One last part of Petruzzelli’s game I would like to see him improve on his is puck handling. He’ll make the correct decision on when to play the puck but once the puck ends up on his stick he struggles with making the next decision. This allows forecheckers to get in quickly and force turnovers that shouldn’t be there.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Who cares about his footwork or puckhandling if he's 6'6"? Are those things really important with a goalie?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Who cares about his footwork or puckhandling if he's 6'6"? Are those things really important with a goalie?

Very much so. If you can't move you feet well you become exposed especially at the higher levels when the puck moves quicker. Footwork is the foundation that a goalie needs to be in position. Petruzzelli gets away with it now but in the NCAA and the pro's it'll keep becoming an issue unless it's fixed.

Short Shorts

Jul 19, 2014
Madhouse on Mercer
I'm biased, but I like players that take the college route, and QU is a great place for goalies right now. They were the national runners up a season ago, largely on the strength of their tendy Michael Garteig. This is the first Ken Holland decision that hasn't made me want to drink in a long time.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
I like this pick a lot. Coreau is not very athletic, Paterson is in the ECHL and our other prospect is playing in a Swedish Jr. league Pottelberghe.
Not to put any pressure on this kid but we really need him to be a NHLer.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I hope Quinnipiac has an elite goalie coach, sounds like this kid has big potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad