86 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeydude1983

Mar 8, 2007
It has been in the news the past couple days... the NHL is apparently looking at the possibility to have a 86 game season... to have every teams play every teams at least once at home:
1 home 1 away against other conference teams: 32 games
2 home 2 away against same conference teams: 60 games

That gives 92 games!... so i don't really know how they would work a 86 game season.

It was also mention that teams ranked 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th would play a one game serie to determine position 7th and 8th for the playoffs:
7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th.. winners going into playoffs.

I don't really agree with all this. I like the current schedule/calendar format. It creates regional rivalries... and just look at the eastern conference playoffs race! It's pretty entertaining.

Ideally this is the NHL i would like to see:
To those who say 2 more teams would diluate the caliber of play i don't agree... there is plenty of talent around the world, and with NHL budget ($$$) it is much more easily to develop good players... they have the best doctors, the best trainers, the best facilities, good living and traveling conditions, etc...
The 2 new cities would be Quebec and Winnipeg... I think these 2 markets deserve teams more than any other cities in North America (taking into account they have a suitable arena)

3 home 3 away against same division teams: 18 games
2 home 2 away against other division teams of same conference: 48 games
half of other conference teams at home and the other half away alternating every year: 16 games
total 82 games

Eastern Conference
Canada East Division
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Toronto

Atlantic Division
Boston
New Jersey
New York
New York

North Eastern division
Buffalo
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

South Eastern Division
Atlanta
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay

Western Conference
Canada West Division
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Winnipeg

South Western Division
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose

North Central Division
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Minnesota

South Central Division
Colorado
Dallas
Nashville
St-Louis

Comments?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The 7-10 prelim round was something the NHL had the right to use in 2005-06 or 2006-07 without having to go to the players ... so the NHLPA would have to sign off for future years. kdb can cover the GP thing (which I think is also specified in the CBA) - it's 12:10 now and I need sleep.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
I really like most of what you put down, I LOVE the divisions. I love Quebec and Winnipeg coming back, but I also hate 32 teams. Other than that, it makes too much sense so its not happening!

Hockeydude1983

Mar 8, 2007
sorry made a mistake..

the 86 game thing is
30 games other conference
56 games same conference (14 teams x 4)
total 86 games

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
It doesn't add up to 92, your math is wrong

"1 home 1 away against other conference teams: 32 games
2 home 2 away against same conference teams: 60 games"

15 teams other conference = 30 games
14 other teams in own conference = 56 games
86 total.

Overkill

Dec 26, 2004
Personally, I'd like to see an 84-game format like they did in the 90s, although I forget how many years it lasted...maybe only 2.

Play division rivals 6 times - 4x6=24
Play other conference rivals 4 times - 10x4=40
Play teams from the other conference at least once, but play teams in a certain division twice - (10x1)+(5x2)=20

The way the part of playing the other conference would work is similar to how it works now in the way that you only play a few of the teams once. I'll use Toronto as an example.

Toronto would play each of the teams in the Pacific and Central divisions once, home or away, and then have a home and away game against the teams in the Northwest division.

This could settle the problem fans are having with not seeing certain players for years at a time such as Crosby not going to Edmonton for a few years, in this case it would be every other year at most provided he does not switch teams. Although travel costs would still be a complaint of Eastern teams, and it does not really do anything for Detroit, it would also prevent fans from having to watch their favourite team play other teams in the same division EIGHT TIMES A YEAR!!!

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Personally, I'd like to see an 84-game format like they did in the 90s, although I forget how many years it lasted...maybe only 2.

Play division rivals 6 times - 4x6=24
Play other conference rivals 4 times - 10x4=40
Play teams from the other conference at least once, but play teams in a certain division twice - (10x1)+(5x2)=20

The way the part of playing the other conference would work is similar to how it works now in the way that you only play a few of the teams once. I'll use Toronto as an example.

Toronto would play each of the teams in the Pacific and Central divisions once, home or away, and then have a home and away game against the teams in the Northwest division.

This could settle the problem fans are having with not seeing certain players for years at a time such as Crosby not going to Edmonton for a few years, in this case it would be every other year at most provided he does not switch teams. Although travel costs would still be a complaint of Eastern teams, and it does not really do anything for Detroit, it would also prevent fans from having to watch their favourite team play other teams in the same division EIGHT TIMES A YEAR!!!

i also would prefer an 84 game season, but my proposal is a bit different as there'd be a home game against every team each year.

6 games vs. division rivals (3 home 3 away) =24
3 games vs. conference (alternating between 1 home 2 away & 2 home 1 away annually for each division.) =30
2 games vs. other conference (1 home 1 away)=30

the 3 games vs. the rest of the conference would be set up like:
(using Chicago as an example)

2007-08 - 1 home 2 away vs. Pacific division; 2 home 1 away vs. Northwest division.
2008-09 - 2 home 1 away vs. Pacific division; 1 home 2 away vs. Northwest division.

Last edited:

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
NO WAY should they add more games to the schedule- there are about 10-12 too many as it is now. It should be about a 70-72 game schedule imo as it is instead of the 82 they have now. The season is too long- they do not need to add to it.:rant:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
6 games vs. division rivals (3 home 3 away) =24
3 games vs. conference (alternating between 1 home 2 away & 2 home 1 away annually for each division.) =30
2 games vs. other conference (1 home 1 away)=30

This is mind boggling stupid. You want just as many games against the opposite conference as you do against teams in your conference but out of the division? How ridiculous. No owner would ever go for that, not to mention the whole alternating home and away games each year. The schedule is fine how it is, no need to mess with it.

Crosby87.*

This topic looks a lot like that other one i saw in the NHL Discussion area :P

I think they should just leave it how it is though, like come on.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Closed for the moment for two reasons:

1. This was cross-posted over in the NHL Talk forum,
2. As GKJ pointed out, there's no link to an official source for this news that allegedly has been reported in the last couple of days.

If the OP sends me a link to a legitimate source for this news and indicates which forum this should be in (not both), I'll re-open and the thread will be in the designated forum with a redirect in the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->