Prospect Info: #84 overall, G Jesper Eliasson

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know what to make of this pick. Seems like a 7th rounder, and based on the scouting report I read, he has a lot of things to work on.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
11-5-2 2.20 GAA .928 SV 1 SO... Very Good

I'm confused, the Vaxjo Jr's Schedule says it ended today?
The SuperElit season has two parts. First a preliminary round where teams are divided into North and South groups, then a second round starting in January where the top-10 teams form one group and the rest form another. All top-10 teams make the playoffs along with the top-6 of that other group.

Finland has a sort of similar system with two rounds.

Reactions: A Few Good Males

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
The SuperElit season has two parts. First a preliminary round where teams are divided into North and South groups, then a second round starting in January where the top-10 teams form one group and the rest form another. All top-10 teams make the playoffs along with the top-6 of that other group.

Finland has a sort of similar system with two rounds.
Oh Cool... Didn't know that... Thanks for the heads up!

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is that a step up? (I don't know the teams)
Yes, Allsvenskan is the tier-2 league in Sweden. But I doubt he will get many games as they have another goalie who has played well this season. Eliasson is filling in for Adam Åhman who will be with Sweden at the WJC.

But it's pro experience anyway, so good for him. He won't miss any junior games since the junior league is on break until January.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yes, Allsvenskan is the tier-2 league in Sweden. But I doubt he will get many games as they have another goalie who has played well this season. Eliasson is filling in for Adam Åhman who will be with Sweden at the WJC.

But it's pro experience anyway, so good for him. He won't miss any junior games since the junior league is on break until January.

What would you consider to be a young age for a goalie to play Allsvenskan? I have a very poor understanding of the league apart from it being the second highest league in Sweden.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What would you consider to be a young age for a goalie to play Allsvenskan? I have a very poor understanding of the league apart from it being the second highest league in Sweden.
Under 20 is young. It's hard to give an exact number, but I would guess there are typically 2 or 3 U20 goalies playing regularly in the Allsvenskan. Junior -> 2-3 years of Allsvenskan -> SHL is probably a good development path for most goalies, skaters too unless they are high-end prospects.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Got loaned to Almtuna IS in the Allsvenskan, should become a starter in the 2nd league of Sweden
That's great, a perfect development route for a Swedish goalie. It'll be interesting to see who they sign as other goalies.

Victor Brattström should also be a starter now that they were relegated back to the Allsvenskan.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Hated this pick on draft day, but I watched some games and I like him. I think he will compete with Larsson being our future starter. Had some pretty good international games. I think this is his development plan:

Season 2019-2020: Starter goalie for Almtuna in the Allsvenskan
Season 2020-2021: Gets traded to a SHL team (or Almtuna gets promoted) and plays SHL
Season 2021-2022: SHL starter
Season 2022-2023: Comes over and will be a Grand Rapids goalie

If this works out he will be 22 when coming over.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
A shame he is not getting ice time... He should move to another team but he is clearly just a backup goalie right now...

Why do you think he is a backup?

He is at Salzburg and that team has longer corona quarantine than other teams on that same Austrian-based league Rasmussen is.

Eliasson has played only one game, and that was the last game before corona stoppage at 23rd october. Their next game is on next week, so it will be month-long break from all games for that team.

Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Why do you think he is a backup?

He is at Salzburg and that team has longer corona quarantine than other teams on that same Austrian-based league Rasmussen is.

Eliasson has played only one game, and that was the last game before corona stoppage at 23rd october. Their next game is on next week, so it will be month-long break from all games for that team.

He is a backup because his competitor has 6 games played, better stats and has more experience while Jesper only has 1 game played. I do hope they rotate more because he is 20 and NEEDS gametime

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Former Atlanta Thrashers scout Bernd Freimüller on Jesper Eliasson:

Pro: Has NHL size. Good basics, calm, compact.
Con: Doesn't always make good use of his size. Recovery after the first save is a con (flops & swims at times). Often & long in the reverse VH & not always when it's required, a little bit of "lazy style" when puck is in the corners. Some unnecessary rebounds. Must track puck more actively in traffic. Can he make the second and third save?
State as of now: Still very young and has good size and basics. Only backup in the Austrian league, albeit behind the best goaltender of the league.
Three-year prediction: Has a long way ahead of him, could become starter or part of a tandem in the SHL or AHL. NHL only later, if at all.

Source (in German): ICE: Wie sieht die Zukunft der NHL-Leihgaben aus?

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Former Atlanta Thrashers scout Bernd Freimüller on Jesper Eliasson:

Pro: Has NHL size. Good basics, calm, compact.
Con: Doesn't always make good use of his size. Recovery after the first save is a con (flops & swims at times). Often & long in the reverse VH & not always when it's required, a little bit of "lazy style" when puck is in the corners. Some unnecessary rebounds. Must track puck more actively in traffic. Can he make the second and third save?
State as of now: Still very young and has good size and basics. Only backup in the Austrian league, albeit behind the best goaltender of the league.
Three-year prediction: Has a long way ahead of him, could become starter or part of a tandem in the SHL or AHL. NHL only later, if at all.

Source (in German): ICE: Wie sieht die Zukunft der NHL-Leihgaben aus?

Update:

Eliasson has been in good form lately and got himself 7 starts since Christmas. Last week Freimüller wrote: "Took some time to get going, but lately a highly qualified backup behind Jean-Philippe Lamoureux. Big, tall shoulders. A little to passive at times. Would likely improve his standing further in the coming months (if he stayed with Salzburg)."

Source (in German): 88 ICE-Legionäre auf dem Freimüller-Prüfstand

Reactions: ChadS and MBH

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Loaned to Väsby IK in the HockeyEttan (3rd division of Sweden). Not looking good. Poor results in the 2nd league. In my opinion he won't be signed by us. I think there is a player there for the Swedish leagues, but he has not taken the steps to be rock solid.

Last edited:

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Loaned to Väsby IK in the HockeyEttan (3rd division of Sweden). Not looking good. Poor results in the 2nd league. In my opinion he won't be signed by us. I think there is a player there for the Swedish leagues, but he has not taken the steps to be rock solid.
he's been by far the worse goalie in the division. on a positive note filip larsson is having a decent bounce back season, thou that ship probably has sailed.

setkov has also been impressive i still think with his size and skating the nhl will give him a shot somewhere down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad