OT: 83rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Balls to the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just finished the 5th episode of Mare of Easttown. Holy tit f***s

That ep was crazy, but as a whole, that series is getting seriously overrated. It reminds me a ton of "The Undoing" last year - Nicole Kidman's performance was just ... weird and off. Winslet is working so hard to seem exhausted and put-upon and frumpy as balls that it doesn't feel lived in at all. The guy who played Colin was great, especially in that scene at the bar where he was drunk. Overall it's worth watching, and it's mostly exciting to see how they get to the end, but there is a whole lot of filler which isn't great. It's a real tortured caricature of "working-class people" that is bursting at the seams with the effort to appear "naturalistic."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That ep was crazy, but as a whole, that series is getting seriously overrated. It reminds me a ton of "The Undoing" last year - Nicole Kidman's performance was just ... weird and off. Winslet is working so hard to seem exhausted and put-upon and frumpy as balls that it doesn't feel lived in at all. The guy who played Colin was great, especially in that scene at the bar where he was drunk. Overall it's worth watching, and it's mostly exciting to see how they get to the end, but there is a whole lot of filler which isn't great. It's a real tortured caricature of "working-class people" that is bursting at the seams with the effort to appear "naturalistic."

I'll just comment on two things here...

Evan Peters' acting in that bar scene was incredible. Possibly best drunk acting ever.

I agree there was some filler.

Otherwise I loved it and dont share in the rest of your feelings about it lol.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Terrible post.

There's always some filler, but this was at least quality filler. I don't know anything about The Undoing but this show reminded me a lot of Broadchurch, which is one of the best things I've ever seen on television.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Terrible post.

There's always some filler, but this was at least quality filler. I don't know anything about The Undoing but this show reminded me a lot of Broadchurch, which is one of the best things I've ever seen on television.

Reminded me more of both the movie Mystic River and the show The Killing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I lied, we watched the final episode last night, she couldn't wait until Thursday.

My gf was able to piece everything together towards the beginning of the final episode. What a god damn roller coaster that was. There might have been one or two things that they dragged out, but I would have liked to have seen them tell Kenny everything that happened.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I lied, we watched the final episode last night, she couldn't wait until Thursday.

My gf was able to piece everything together towards the beginning of the final episode. What a god damn roller coaster that was. There might have been one or two things that they dragged out, but I would have liked to have seen them tell Kenny everything that happened.
I never thought about that. They told the Deacon he was cleared except for the bike. That dude was still creepy

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So you’re saying we should batten down the hatches over here?
My guess is that it missed you. We got about 4 inches of rain in an hour or two. Got stuck out on the golf course got probably 30 minutes. Was wild.

PXL_20210608_195158141.MP.jpg
PXL_20210608_195227052.jpg
PXL_20210608_212745485.jpg
PXL_20210608_213258565.jpg

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad