Prospect Info: #81 Reilly Walsh (D)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Most college players sign with the team that drafted them or whoever holds their rights.
Bit of a skewed stat given that most of the bigger prospects who go college, stay 2 years or less.

Most guys that stay 4 years really won't be given much attention from around the league.

Also consider that teams, like the Dev's with Wood and Santini, will make a push to bring guys in before they reach that UFA season.
(the reverse was in effect with Butcher, who wanted to leave after his Jr season, Colorado passed at that time, and thus burned the bridge) So it's def a thing that GM's give credence to. And I think it will be in play here as well. Shero will bring Walsh in before he get's to that UFA option.

Walsh's comments on the matter should ease any concern really.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bit of a skewed stat given that most of the bigger prospects who go college, stay 2 years or less.

Most guys that stay 4 years really won't be given much attention from around the league.

Also consider that teams, like the Dev's with Wood and Santini, will make a push to bring guys in before they reach that UFA season.
(the reverse was in effect with Butcher, who wanted to leave after his Jr season, Colorado passed at that time, and thus burned the bridge) So it's def a thing that GM's give credence to. And I think it will be in play here as well. Shero will bring Walsh in before he get's to that UFA option.

Walsh's comments on the matter should ease any concern really.

I don't think 'preventing players from going UFA' is the main concern with bringing college players in - it's just that playing 4 years in college is not going to be the best thing for a player's development. Still, I bet even among players that stay 4 years it's still the majority position - they sign with the team that drafted them, or don't sign an NHL contract at all. Seney's a guy who just did it for the Devils, and Blake Coleman and Blake Pietila also did so somewhat recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
From 2013 draft:

4 year collegian who signed with team: John Hayden, Ryan Fitzgerald, Wiley Sherman (Harvard!), Sean Malone (Harvard!), Carson Soucy, Merrick Madsen (Harvard!), Brian Pinho, Anthony Louis

4 year collegian who didn't sign with anyone: Taylor Cammarata, Terrance Amorosa, Aidan Muir, Connor Clifton, Grant Besse, Gage Ausmus, Ben Storm (signed AHL deal with drafting team), Tim Harrison, Chris Leblanc, Avery Peterson, Quentin Shore, Blaine Byron, David Drake, Nolan De Jong, Troy Josephs (signed AHL deal with drafting team)

4 year collegian who signed NHL deal elsewhere: Will Butcher

Now are some of these college players from the surrounding area of where they were drafted, sure - John Hayden and Anthony Louis grew up in Illinois, Fitzgerald in Massachusetts, and Soucy in Minnesota and they signed with the Blackhawks, Bruins, and Wild respectively. Still, we've got 8 guys who signed with the team that held their rights and 1 guy who didn't.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Until we're in the summer of when Walsh can sign with another team, I don't see any reason to even think about this lol

Hell Walsh even said it, every player's path is different. Using past players as examples is pointless, trying to wiggle your way into his head is pointless. Just wait to see what happens.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Devils prospect Reilly Walsh plans to return to Harvard in 2018-19

Walsh talking about going 4 years, then going UFA:
I mean, I would never rule out anything, but that quote seemed to me to indicate the opposite... That he was discussing the path taken by others, but that his own path was yet to be determined, just that the NHL is is principal goal... So I think this would indicate a willingness to go pro sooner. But that's just my read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad