Prospect Info: #81 Reilly Walsh (D)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
At least Walsh had a good sense of humor about Ray's joke. I remember Jack Johnson, slated to attend Michigan, wore a maize and blue tie to his draft. After selecting him, Carolina GM Jim Rutherford made a joke along the lines of "you should lose the tie" aka "we want you to turn pro sooner rather than later." Johnson didn't appreciate the comment and their contract standoff would start shortly thereafter.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
He is doing sociology not a very hard degree for him to come back to after spending 3 years in school. Would be pretty dumb to stay in school that long, kid has skill.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Better teams don't have room for college free agents and drafted players reaching FA rarely happens anyway, what a stupid post.
how kind of you, thanks asshole

i think it's a very legitimate fear. it's not totally out of the realm of possibility - we got butcher that way, and that was how losing kerfoot wasn't so bad. it DOES happen.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
how kind of you, thanks *******

i think it's a very legitimate fear. it's not totally out of the realm of possibility - we got butcher that way, and that was how losing kerfoot wasn't so bad. it DOES happen.
Just because it happens doesn't mean you assume it unless something is shown to allude towards this path being taken. What would make you think Walsh wont sign?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or dangerous, if he feels he can join a better team after 4 years

If we're not one of the 'better' teams after three more years we have bigger issues than Walsh signing with us or not.

And people hype up the few instances where players go UFA as the new norm but still the vast majority of the time it doesn't happen, it's just that nobody cares about citing those instances. The constant worrying around here about college kids going UFA gets old, especially with Shero - he's shown he's willing to burn the year of contract eligibility to get kids in. And yes I know Kerfoot, he happened to come up when our young center depth started to look imposing, and his celing is probably a borderline top six player that is replaceable.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeysFinest

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He doesn't mention anything about going the UFA route, are you getting that from somewhere else?
The quote was in reference to going UFA after 4 years. The previous couple paragraphs were discussing other players like Butcher, Vesey, and Kerfoot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If we're not one of the 'better' teams after three more years we have bigger issues than Walsh signing with us or not.

And people hype up the few instances where players go UFA as the new norm but still the vast majority of the time it doesn't happen, it's just that nobody cares about citing those instances. The constant worrying around here about college kids going UFA gets old, especially with Shero - he's shown he's willing to burn the year of contract eligibility to get kids in. And yes I know Kerfoot, he happened to come up when our young center depth started to look imposing, and his celing is probably a borderline top six player that is replaceable.
There may not be a lot of examples overall, but if you break it down to guys who look like NHL talent who have stayed at least 3 years, the rate at which those players leave their draft teams get's concerning. We were involved with 2 such examples just last year.

Now Walsh has said he wants to get to the NHL as soon as possible. And Shero has shown a willingness to sign guys, burn that ELC, and get them into NHL games so as to avoid entering that UFA season.

So, if Walsh progresses, I'm pretty confident that he will sign with NJ before it becomes an issue.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There wasn't anyone significant who stayed all 4 years and became UFA this off-season. The media didn't even try to gin up a guy who teams might be after.

Most college players sign with the team that drafted them or whoever holds their rights.

I just know that for the next 10 years on boards like this, Devils fans will be saying 'remember Kerfoot' as if that's a normal thing that happens. It isn't. The vast majority of college players sign with their drafting team or don't sign an NHL contract at all. Even among Harvard players in the last decade, guys sign more often than they go UFA, even though most of them stay in all 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad