Prospect Info: #81 overall, RD Seth Barton

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Overage kid with 33 points in 49 games in the BCHL. He is an August birthday so he is still just 18. Wings must really like him to have taken him this early.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Sneaky pick.

Bet there were several teams that wanted and thought they could get him later.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I have known this kid for a few years now. Have been sharpening his skates in Kelowna since I can remember. Great kid and comes from a good family. I have only seen him play at the midget level but he was a solid defense man with a good outlet pass. As mentioned he is a long term project, but good size and skating ability.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I get the impression this kid wasn't heavily scouted and possibly fell under the radar. This feels like this could turn out like your classic Red Wings GEM where other scouts didn't know about him. Not the next Lidstrom, but under-the-radar pick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
His comparison was Brent Seabrook. Kinda physical, all around D. Hopefully hes not another Max Nicastro

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These kind of picks are always not exciting to hear about. Will spend 4 years at college, long shots, who then, "may" become something half way decent. For me, the only way I want any college kids, is if they are can't miss 1st rounders, or 2nd rounders. There are just so many of these kids that you never hear from again.

Those are better choises than any CHLr you have rights for only 2 years. They won't have enough time to develop, before you already lose their player rights.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
The appeal of a pick like this is you get a Parayko type player. They have similar scouting reports... It's a nice dream

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

Highlight video, but I like how calm and efficient he looked defending in the Jr. A highlights. He also skates well and handles the puck well. He is 6’4 though and there is not a single clapper in the highlight video, weird.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
These kind of picks are always not exciting to hear about. Will spend 4 years at college, long shots, who then, "may" become something half way decent. For me, the only way I want any college kids, is if they are can't miss 1st rounders, or 2nd rounders. There are just so many of these kids that you never hear from again.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This guy's progression is pretty insane. He was playing BCMML just a little over 1.5 years ago. Now he's got 5 points in 10 NCAA games as a starting D.

In between that, in his rookie/only season in the BCHL, he was 3rd among defenseman in ppg for his age group. He also barely missed the cut-off for the 2018 draft (he's just 4 weeks older than Brady Tkachuk, for example).

Definitely someone to keep an eye on with how quickly he's building on his game.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
I didn't like the pick at the time, with McShane, Pekar, Riley Sutter and Joey Keane still available. However it may appear that the folks within the organization who scout and draft for a living may, in fact, know better than I. A tough realization.

Very early obviously, but Barton is intriguing for sure.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Some really good things about Barton from The Athletic.
State of the Red Wings' farm system: How Detroit's prospects...

Seth Barton, UMass Lowell (NCAA): If you’re looking for an off-the-radar prospect to break through, look no further than Barton, a third-rounder in 2018 who transitioned immediately into a big role for UMass Lowell as a true freshman this season. At 6-feet-2 he has size, a high IQ and improving skating. He was a relative unknown out of the draft, but put him squarely on the radar going forward.

And some really nice words from Martin:
“He’s a good player,” Martin said. “Smart player. Moves well, decent size — a little bit of a lanky build — he’s gotta add some strength for sure, but when I went in to see him play early in the year at Miami, I met with the coach (and) the coach had basically thrust him right into almost first-pair minutes and power-play time. He got a lot of responsibility early. … I think he’s played some good minutes there. … We like his hockey sense and his mobility. He’s a good prospect.”

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Did anyone here have a chance to watch Barton throughout the year? Or have any decent footage of his play? Based purely on stat-watching and bio-skimming, it seems like he's developing really well, but I'd like to get some better perspective on the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->