Post-Game Talk: #81: FLYERS at Blues, Thursday, April 4, 2019, 8:00 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It'a all about Gordon, just compare with Hakstol the last few seasons, you may have hated Hakstol's offense, but they played solid, disciplined defense and didn't turn the puck over left and right.

The long stretch passes seem to be a deliberate strategy, how often do you see a controlled breakout under Gordon?

And it's not like we didn't see the exact same style of play on the Phantoms.
Which was weird, if you're going to have a Hakstol (Berube) type HC on the NHL team, why would you want Gordon coaching your AHL team to a totally different style of play?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't usually post on these game threads but this i can't resist . Where every we end up drafting , 10 -14 we need to grab a flipping D man ,that was embarassing , again .

Yes, in two-three years time I'm sure this unnamed mid first round defenseman will fix the defense. It certainly won't be because Ghost, Morin, Sanheim, Provorov, Myers and even Hagg could be better NHL players in their mid/late 20s than they are right now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anything to get that 9-6 pair split up.

Anything?

DPrDsKlWkAEXjyo.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would never have selected Sam at #11 in 2013, but I'm optimistic about his role on this team.

His size, reach, skating, toughness and willingness to box out guys in the crease are all things that this D-corps can use. Third pairing minutes, with a lot of time on the PK, might work next season.

I said at the time that Domi would be a 70 point center, but no one listened. :wg:

Reactions: Foggy14

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It'a all about Gordon, just compare with Hakstol the last few seasons, you may have hated Hakstol's offense, but they played solid, disciplined defense and didn't turn the puck over left and right.

Th long stretch passes seem to be a deliberate strategy, how often do you see a controlled breakout under Gordon?

And it's not like we didn't see the exact same style of play on the Phantoms.
Which was weird, if you're going to have a Hakstol (Berube) type HC on the NHL team, why would you want Gordon coaching your AHL team to a totally different style of play?

You are so close to realizing how vital coaching has become. Let's see if you can realize Hakstol and his garbage offensive system were an anchor around their neck.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
McDavid is under contract. He can't walk out of any door. He wouldn't hold out and demand a trade. He's a good ole' Canadian boy.

i could be wrong but im sensing that mcdavid is going to be on the block at the draft and i know if that happens fletch will be all over him. it's a pipe dream but it was awesome to have a young superstar since lindros on this team because giroux is getting older and we need someone to rebuild around mcdavid would be perfect.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are so close to realizing how vital coaching has become. Let's see if you can realize Hakstol and his garbage offensive system were an anchor around their neck.

I thought Berube's garbage offensive system was an anchor around their neck?
What happened in St Louis? :sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I thought Berube's garbage offensive system was an anchor around their neck?
What happened in St Louis? :sarcasm:

How many years ago was he coach here? You know coaches can develop and change over time, right? Sort of like how Lavi learned, and Sullivan.

Obviously he has changed. He has actually changed this season, early in his stint he had them playing like the Flyers did under him, but he's since made the transition more rapid than it ever was here.

Remember how you used to claim the Flyers played on the perimeter under Hakstol because they didn't have the skill to do anything else? Have you noticed that under Gordon all four lines now attack the slot, hence why our offense has gone from 23rd in the league to ~12th? And that's with a system that gives away the puck all the time. Hakstol held them back. It is past time you admitted that.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It's the end of a bad season, wouldn't read too much into these games.
Told you Gordon would be far worse than Hakstol, but did you believe me? Nah.
Imagine Gordon without Hart - now we'd really be in the running for.

Gordon is a poor coach, but it is hilarious that you could not wait 200 games to judge Gordon.
You call out others for double standards yet you are blind to what you are doing.
You are still wearing those blinders for Hakstol and all his flaws. We could be here all day mentioning them. But that dead horse has been beaten a few thousand times.
Hakstol sucked, Gordon does suck.
One is a bucket of diarrhea, and the other is a bucket of vomit.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would say Vancouver would be a much better fit for Hextall based on the roster/cap space/asset standpoint (there’s some bad contracts from Benning but they’re on the smaller scale).

But if he didn’t like Dave Scott questioning him he’s not going to like Aquilini who has a reputation there for meddling.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I feel like all the hockey sense has been coached out of the d-men, even when they get the puck its one of 3 things, cycle it blindly behind the net expecting their partner is there, throwing it blindly around the boards and glass and flipping the puck out of the zone. All 3 usually result in loss of possession. Also never picking up players and puck watching

The perimeter offense needs to go, Kris Letang even said it after one of the games, told a reporter that the pens knew the flyers liked to send pucks to the net from the outside so they kept them on the perimeter and made it easy for Murray. One of the main reasons for them coming back in 3rd periods was probably because the system was thrown out the window and they had to attack on offense

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad