OT: 80th Obsequious Banter Thread: Do You Believe In Miracles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think he is gonna need one of those stair rail chairs...

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2544133/joe-biden-falls-stairs-air-force-one/

HA_SL300_Lifestyle-UpStairs_900x.png

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Today's Medal of Honor belongs to Gunnery Sergeant Fred Stockham, a Marine who re-enlisted several times, serving in the Philippines, China, and Nicaragua before finally being sent to France to fight the Germans during the First World War.

He fought in several battles, before his final fight at Belleau Woods, which was pretty brutal, even for WW1 standards. It was part of the Kaiserschlact, which was basically Germany's last hurrah on the Western Front. It happened after the Russians quit fighting, which freed up a lot of German troops to go west, and make a hailmary attempt to end the war in the east, as well.

Unfortunately for them, they ran into the United States Marine Corps, and as Black Jack Pershing put it, "The deadliest weapon in the world is a United States Marine and his rifle."

During their attempts to dislodge the Marines, the Germans launched not only conventional artillery, but gas as well. During a gas attack, the Stockhzm noticed that one of his comrades' gas mask had been destroyed, and insisted that the man take his mask, knowing full well what the exposure would do to him. He fought on, leading his troops before collapsing due to the gas. He died about a week later, and was only awarded the Medal of Honor over two decades later, due to lobbying from his Lieutenant at the time, Clifton Cates, who himself was ludicrously decorated, and eventually wound up being the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

330px-Fred_W._Stockham_-_WWI_Medal_of_Honor_Recipient.jpg

MoH Citation said:
During an intense enemy bombardment with high explosive and gas shells which wounded or killed many members of the company, G/Sgt. Stockham, upon noticing that the gas mask of a wounded comrade was shot away, without hesitation, removed his own gas mask and insisted upon giving it to the wounded man, well knowing that the effects of the gas would be fatal to himself. He continued with undaunted courage and valor to direct and assist in the evacuation of the wounded, until he himself collapsed from the effects of gas, dying as a result thereof a few days later. His courageous conduct undoubtedly saved the lives of many of his wounded comrades and his conspicuous gallantry and spirit of self-sacrifice were a source of great inspiration to all who served with him.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Today's Medal of Honor belongs to Sergeant Thomas Baker, who was killed in action on Saipan.

The Pacific Theater was brutal, and Saipan especially was a hard fight. The Japanese soldiers largely refused to surrender because they had been led to believe that the Americans would torture and kill them. (Sort of like they did with their own prisoners, but I won't get into that here)

As the battle went on, it became clear to the Japanese commanders that they were in a hopeless fight, and Saipan was lost. But instead of surrendering or evacuating, all the surviving troops (including the wounded, and even some civilians) charged the American lines at dawn on July 7th. Over 4,000 men attacked, in the largest banzai charge of the war, and poor Sergeant Evans was right in the middle of it.

He had already distinguished himself during the battle by destroying a machine gun emplacement with a bazooka, and eliminating an enemy squad that had concealed themselves behind the American front line.

But back to the suicide attack. Baker was wounded early into the fight, but refused to go back to an aid station. For a while, the soldiers and marines were able to hold back the advancing troops for a while, but were eventually forced to fall back, since they were taking casualties and running out of ammo. Another soldier carried Evans back about 50 yards before he was also wounded. At this point, Evans told his comrades to leave him behind, since he didn't want to risk more lives to save his own. His only request was that they prop him up against a tree, facing the advancing Japanese troops. They gave him a pistol with 8 rounds, and wished him luck. (I can only assume it was an M1911, and I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those some day)

Once American troops were able to regroup and counterattack, they found Baker's body in the same place. Weapon empty, with eight dead Japanese soldiers in front of him. His promotion to Sergeant was actually posthumous, as was the MoH, obviously.

ThomasBakerMedalofHonor.jpg

This one is near and dear to my heart. I had a great uncle who was killed on Saipan on the same day, during the same attack. He was an artilleryman with the Marines, and according to my grandfather, he was an absolutely wonderful human being. 60 years later he would still tell people how much he loved and looked up to his big brother. He actually named his first son after him. I really wish I could have had the opportunity to meet him myself.

View attachment 409394

keep these stories coming. Love reading them

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Today's Medal of Honor belongs to Gunnery Sergeant Fred Stockham, a Marine who re-enlisted several times, serving in the Philippines, China, and Nicaragua before finally being sent to France to fight the Germans during the First World War.

He fought in several battles, before his final fight at Belleau Woods, which was pretty brutal, even for WW1 standards. It was part of the Kaiserschlact, which was basically Germany's last hurrah on the Western Front. It happened after the Russians quit fighting, which freed up a lot of German troops to go west, and make a hailmary attempt to end the war in the east, as well.

Unfortunately for them, they ran into the United States Marine Corps, and as Black Jack Pershing put it, "The deadliest weapon in the world is a United States Marine and his rifle."

During their attempts to dislodge the Marines, the Germans launched not only conventional artillery, but gas as well. During a gas attack, the Stockhzm noticed that one of his comrades' gas mask had been destroyed, and insisted that the man take his mask, knowing full well what the exposure would do to him. He fought on, leading his troops before collapsing due to the gas. He died about a week later, and was only awarded the Medal of Honor over two decades later, due to lobbying from his Lieutenant at the time, Clifton Cates, who himself was ludicrously decorated, and eventually wound up being the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

330px-Fred_W._Stockham_-_WWI_Medal_of_Honor_Recipient.jpg
Semper fi

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
Phillies*
1.(4)Juan Soto (Was - OF)
2.(21)Lucas Giolito (CWS - SP)
3.(28)Xander Bogaerts (Bos - SS)
4.(45)Whit Merrifield (KC - 2B,OF)
5.(52)Randy Arozarena (TB - OF)
6.(69)Yoán Moncada (CWS - 3B)
7.(76)Lance Lynn (CWS - SP)
8.(93)Zack Greinke (Hou - SP)
9.(100)Wil Myers (SD - 1B,OF)
10.(117)Will Smith (LAD - C)
11.(124)Alex Verdugo (Bos - OF)
12.(141)Franmil Reyes (Cle - OF)
13.(148)Victor Robles (Was - OF)
14.(165)Devin Williams (Mil - RP)
15.(172)Craig Kimbrel (ChC - RP)
16.(189)Taylor Rogers (Min - RP)
17.(196)Aaron Civale (Cle - SP)
18.(213)Brady Singer (KC - SP)
19.(220)Gio Urshela (NYY - 3B)
20.(237)Carlos Santana (KC - 1B)
21.(244)Ha-Seong Kim (SD - 2B,SS)
22.(261)Drew Smyly (Atl - SP)
23.(268)Joakim Soria (Ari - RP)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Finished my first of 2 fantasy baseball drafts. Think it's decent.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
This guy gets it.
:laugh: I literally laughed out loud and my wife is sleeping 6 feet away! :eek: I've been meaning to post these all time winning %s for a while so...

Ft_Flyers_Logo_History_Philadelphia_Sports.jpg

FLYERS .576 - SECOND ALL-TIME IF YOU DON'T COUNT VEGAS!

76ers 51.4% - 11th in the NBA
Eagles .491 - 6th in the NFL
Phillies .472 - 26th in MLB

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Defect

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I had seen a study posted from a large test they did before widespread roll-out of the vaccine and I believe the results were something like 8 blood clots from the PLACEBO group which did not get the vaccine and 4 from the vaccine group.

Of course the problem with that is what exactly was the age of the test group? I don't think they rounded up only seniors and expect most were actually healthy, younger adults. There's certainly a chance that something with how the vaccine works can lead to increased risk of blood clots in patients with compromised immune systems already.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Found out yesterday my brother is pretty sick with COVID. He is out in Oregon so my updates will likely come from my mom or Facebook.
I can call on Monday to schedule my vaccine. I guess the next phase kicks in Monday. Was on the fence about it but my wife made a good point. Do you want to hug and shake hands with people or travel out of state? I had no answer but to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->