OT: 80th Obsequious Banter Thread: Do You Believe In Miracles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
idk if I'll be as active posting here between now and September. My wife borrowed $150K to get her Masters and PhD so I have to payoff her student loans, I have a son in college, and my phone is dying so I'm trying not to get a new one to save $. I'll still be reading and posting from my PC. If anyone wants to chat, please pm me. My pms also go to my e-mail so I see them soon either way. Merci beaucoup. That means thank you very much, Beef. ;)

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I
That probably happened several times lol

The one you're thinking of may even be the Battle of Samar. Outside of the Yamato none of the Japanese ships had radar, and the U.S. destroyers were laying down smoke screens and hiding in rain squalls so the Japanese weren't able to track them well. The youtuber also mentions the dye packs in that particular video.
wish I could find the wiki thread on it. It told the perspectives sort of like in read time, from the various ships perspectives. It was really cool.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
idk if I'll be as active posting here between now and September. My wife borrowed $150K to get her Masters and PhD so I have to payoff her student loans, I have a son in college, and my phone is dying so I'm trying not to get a new one to save $. I'll still be reading and posting from my PC. If anyone wants to chat, please pm me. My pms also go to my e-mail so I see them soon either way. Merci beaucoup. That means thank you very much, Beef. ;)
Good luck with the PhD bud.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I

wish I could find the wiki thread on it. It told the perspectives sort of like in read time, from the various ships perspectives. It was really cool.

Yeah it's actually hard to narrow down; there were several duels that fit this category, including a destroyer action where destroyers used radar to plow a wall of torpedoes into a task force.

The US radar advantage was huge.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Quick anecdote before I pick today’s MoH.

During the Battle of Guadalcanal, there was a marine sergeant who was being awarded the Navy Cross for capturing an enemy tank and destroying a machine gun nest.

When Nimitz went to pin the medal on his chest, the guy guy fainted. When asked what happened, his explanation was “Well I’ve never seen an admiral before!”

There was also an unknown American pilot who ran out of ammunition, but still wanted to fight somebody, so he used his landing gear to bonk a Japanese bomber into the ocean. Like a boss.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Quick anecdote before I pick today’s MoH.

During the Battle of Guadalcanal, there was a marine sergeant who was being awarded the Navy Cross for capturing an enemy tank and destroying a machine gun nest.

When Nimitz went to pin the medal on his chest, the guy guy fainted. When asked what happened, his explanation was “Well I’ve never seen an admiral before!”

There was also an unknown American pilot who ran out of ammunition, but still wanted to fight somebody, so he used his landing gear to bonk a Japanese bomber into the ocean. Like a boss.

I love them so much. Every single one of them.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Ah crap, they are even shipping to the EU. They are not stupid
A wise businessman once said...

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 10.36.04 AM.png

TryHardGarbage Shop | Redbubble

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Today's Medal of Honor belongs to Sergeant Thomas Baker, who was killed in action on Saipan.

The Pacific Theater was brutal, and Saipan especially was a hard fight. The Japanese soldiers largely refused to surrender because they had been led to believe that the Americans would torture and kill them. (Sort of like they did with their own prisoners, but I won't get into that here)

As the battle went on, it became clear to the Japanese commanders that they were in a hopeless fight, and Saipan was lost. But instead of surrendering or evacuating, all the surviving troops (including the wounded, and even some civilians) charged the American lines at dawn on July 7th. Over 4,000 men attacked, in the largest banzai charge of the war, and poor Sergeant Evans was right in the middle of it.

He had already distinguished himself during the battle by destroying a machine gun emplacement with a bazooka, and eliminating an enemy squad that had concealed themselves behind the American front line.

But back to the suicide attack. Baker was wounded early into the fight, but refused to go back to an aid station. For a while, the soldiers and marines were able to hold back the advancing troops for a while, but were eventually forced to fall back, since they were taking casualties and running out of ammo. Another soldier carried Evans back about 50 yards before he was also wounded. At this point, Evans told his comrades to leave him behind, since he didn't want to risk more lives to save his own. His only request was that they prop him up against a tree, facing the advancing Japanese troops. They gave him a pistol with 8 rounds, and wished him luck. (I can only assume it was an M1911, and I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those some day)

Once American troops were able to regroup and counterattack, they found Baker's body in the same place. Weapon empty, with eight dead Japanese soldiers in front of him. His promotion to Sergeant was actually posthumous, as was the MoH, obviously.

ThomasBakerMedalofHonor.jpg

MoH Citation said:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty at Saipan, The Mariana Islands, 19 June to 7 July 1944. When his entire company was held up by fire from automatic weapons and small-arms fire from strongly fortified enemy positions that commanded the view of the company, Sgt. (then Pvt.) Baker voluntarily took a bazooka and dashed alone to within 100 yards of the enemy. Through heavy rifle and machine gun fire that was directed at him by the enemy, he knocked out the strong point, enabling his company to assault the ridge. Some days later while his company advanced across the open field flanked with obstructions and places of concealment for the enemy, Sgt. Baker again voluntarily took up a position in the rear to protect the company against a surprise attack and came upon two heavily fortified enemy pockets manned by two officers and ten enlisted men which had been bypassed. Without regard for such superior numbers, he unhesitatingly attacked and killed all of them. Five hundred yards farther, he discovered six men of the enemy who had concealed themselves behind our lines and destroyed all of them. On 7 July 1944, the perimeter of which Sgt. Baker was a part was attacked from 3 sides by from 3,000 to 5,000 Japanese. During the early stages of this attack, Sgt. Baker was severely wounded, but he insisted on remaining in the line and fired at the enemy at ranges sometimes as close as 5 yards until his ammunition ran out. Without ammunition and with his weapon battered to uselessness from hand-to-hand combat, he was carried about 50 yards to the rear by a comrade, who was then himself wounded. At this point Sgt. Baker refused to be moved any further stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree. Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sgt. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining eight rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him. His deeds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.

This one is near and dear to my heart. I had a great uncle who was killed on Saipan on the same day, during the same attack. He was an artilleryman with the Marines, and according to my grandfather, he was an absolutely wonderful human being. 60 years later he would still tell people how much he loved and looked up to his big brother. He actually named his first son after him. I really wish I could have had the opportunity to meet him myself.

uncledon.jpg

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
A Medal of Honor for SFC Alwyn Cashe

Alwyn Cashe, their APC was hit, the fuel cells were punctured, and the APC was burning. Cashe jumped from the gunners seat, pulling the driver with him. Then went back into the rear of the burning APC while drenched in fuel to save 6 people. His MoH has been in limbo for years, getting the furthest yet towards the end of Trumps presidency.
Dude deserves it.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Let the record show that if Carter Hart doesn’t love Carter Hart at his lowest he doesn’t deserve Carter Hart at his best.

Can’t be all flippant with usernames like that.

Not necessarily against Carter or dogging him ...more that I am a Sixers fan and follow them more so I prefer to identify with the Sixers and Embiid with my handle. Flyers to me are on life support as an organization....they are barely watchable and unfortunately Carter has followed suit but still will be pulling for him and believe it's just part of his seasoning.

I am sure Carter's username will be snatched up and I will most likely stick with Embiid until he's out of the league which hopefully won't end up like Bynum's shortened career....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad