GDT: [#80] Philadelphia Flyers @ Dallas Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FS-SW+, NBCSP - Free Game)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I still think we should get him in there the last couple of games. Rest up some of our guys. Also if he does well maybe someone will give us a 5th rounder for him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm not against this idea. I'd play Honka, Val and Ritchie and say, "you have one chance to win consideration of Playoff minutes and this is it".
I actually think Monty should play his full forward playoff lineup for the last two games, but spread the minutes around a lot -- maybe even let the 3rd and 4th lines get the bulk of the minutes. Yeah, there are injury risks, but I think we see a vastly different lineup now with both Zuccarello and Pitlick back. I like the idea of the forwards and the new PP units getting some more time together to build more familiarity before the playoffs start. The guys to rest might be guys on Faksa's line because they've already played together a lot.

For the defense, I'm all for playing Oleksiak and Honka the last two games. I'd even look at resting guys in pairs. Sit Lindell-Klingberg one game and then Heiskanen-Polak the next.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
I actually think Monty should play his full forward playoff lineup for the last two games, but spread the minutes around a lot -- maybe even let the 3rd and 4th lines get the bulk of the minutes. Yeah, there are injury risks, but I think we see a vastly different lineup now with both Zuccarello and Pitlick back. I like the idea of the forwards and the new PP units getting some more time together to build more familiarity before the playoffs start. The guys to rest might be guys on Faksa's line because they've already played together a lot.

For the defense, I'm all for playing Oleksiak and Honka the last two games. I'd even look at resting guys in pairs. Sit Lindell-Klingberg one game and then Heiskanen-Polak the next.
Zuccarello has decent playoff experience so I think he is ok. Just the injury factor of these last few games can be something they might want to think about. I would say none of these players want to sit and if they do its due to a possible nagging injury. Could be an opportunity to try some different line combos and work on the PP.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Honka's 100% not getting any playoff minutes. He could score 10 goals in the next game and that wouldn't change my mind.
Of course you say this but everyone knows how the injury rate in playoff hockey goes. You might be seeing Honka;)

serp

Jan 17, 2016

If this wasn't a back to back with travel i'd agree . Since it is i'm all for rest for the Hawks game.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Of course you say this but everyone knows how the injury rate in playoff hockey goes. You might be seeing Honka;)

I think Monty would rather play Gleason, Bayreuther, Hanley, maybe even Cecconi before he puts Honka back in the lineup.

With the way the Texas Stars' season is going, they should all be available.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I'd say it's highly unlikely. Just because he is one of 8 D on the team doesn't mean he's the 8th defender. Once the playoffs start, there are no limits to call ups. Hanley almost assuredly would play above Honka. I'd say there was a reasonable chance that Bayreuther or Gleason might as well.

I think you're looking at at least 3 injuries on defense before he's a legitimate option. It's not impossible to lose half your defense in the playoffs, but it's also pretty rare.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Monty would rather play Gleason, Bayreuther, Hanley, maybe even Cecconi before he puts Honka back in the lineup.

With the way the Texas Stars' season is going, they should all be available.

Cecconi can't play he's on an ATO and his ELC starts next season .

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Honka's 100% not getting any playoff minutes. He could score 10 goals in the next game and that wouldn't change my mind.

2xrcjn.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad