GDT: [#80] Philadelphia Flyers @ Dallas Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FS-SW+, NBCSP - Free Game)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Which means Khudobin will be starting tonight.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lineup is the best thats possible without Zuccarello and Bishop imho.

Just get it done tonight in front of the homecrowd. Flyers have nothing to play for and have been just eliminated a couple of days ago. Gotta take advantage of that especially with Cam Talbot in net.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
23. Two years ago, Detroit’s Riley Sheahan entered the final game of the season (and final game at Joe Louis Arena) in danger of becoming the first forward in NHL history to have 100 shots in a season and not score. He got two in a 4–1 victory over New Jersey, and the Red Wings really celebrated for him.
There are a couple of other players who need similar fortune. Edmonton’s Tobias Rieder now has 87 shots without a goal, surpassing Pittsburgh’s Craig Adams (84 in 2009-10) for the most ever among forwards. Dallas’s Valeri Nichushkin has 65 shots and no goals. He’s also got zero penalty minutes in 57 games. No one has ever done this. Only one other player has reached half a season with this combination: Pittsburgh’s Kevin Porter, who played 41 games in 2015-16. Chicago’s Dylan Sikura, in his first professional season, is on the same pace in 33 games.
Hopefully, Rieder and Nichushkin break those zeroes. No one needs that.
For those interested: Most shots in one season without a goal is 154. That was Gilles Marotte, with Chicago in 1967-68. He had 21 assists in 73 games. He was a good player who appeared in 881 NHL and WHA games from 1965-78.

lmao Nuke

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean that not taking a penalty thing is good especially since he's now drawing a penalty a game as well.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean that not taking a penalty thing is good especially since he's now drawing a penalty a game as well.

Yeah let's be honest - it could be going worse for Val but he has embraced a new role and been effective at his job. Still wish he could somehow find a way to chip in some goals obviously. Even just 1 to end the season could be massive for his confidence going forward if he doesn't get bought out this season.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yeah let's be honest - it could be going worse for Val but he has embraced a new role and been effective at his job. Still wish he could somehow find a way to chip in some goals obviously. Even just 1 to end the season could be massive for his confidence going forward if he doesn't get bought out this season.
They aren't going to buy it 1 yr of his contract

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They aren't going to buy it 1 yr of his contract

Exactly that would be dumb. Only reason Niemi was bought out with one year remaining was him beeing on the roster with Kari would hurt the team and teams don't carry more than two goalies . Val will be traded or on the roster next season . If he sucks you can just waive him and be done with it for some savings if nobody picks him up . No reason to buy out a forward or defenseman with one year remaining . Not like they need the capspace and it takes up capspace for an extra year. Similarly Hanzal won't be bought out. We don't need the capspace that badly and having a buy out on the cap the next year for no reason makes zero sense.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Val's under 26 ... his buyout would cost 1/3rd spread over two years not 2/3rds. Nill rarely gives up on anyone, but financially, buying out Val would open up significant cap space next year with a nominal hit the following year. Whether they should or not is fine to debate, but it is far from an unreasonable option.

Next season's cap hit would be $700,000 with a savings of $2,250,000. His cap hit the following year would only be $450,000.

I'm really happy that Nuke has played better lately and he seems like he could be useful playing 4th line minutes in the playoffs. That said, it's a no brainer to buy him out if you have designs on spending in free agency on a scorer and hopefully a defenseman. Esa is pushing his next contract closer to if not over $5 million with his career year. A Top 6 Scorer is going to cost $5 to $6 million on the low end. Another defenseman would cost $4 to $6 million. That's $14 to $17 million for 3 players. Projected cap next year is $83 million giving Dallas about $21.5 million in space. That leaves $4.5 million to $7.5 million remaining in space for Mattias Janmark ($2.3 million QO ... likely won't get more), Jason Dickinson (approximately $920K QO .... probably gets around $1.5 to $2 million on a 2 year deal), and Brett Ritchie ($1.8 million QO .... hopefully he's not qualified). You'd also need to sign at least 2 more defenders.

Bottom line, you have to make buyout decisions before free agency. Nichuskin is not a $3 million player, and Dallas already has too many slightly overpaid Bottom 6 forwards. I don't have any confidence that Nill would pull the trigger, but this team has proven they just need scoring to take the next step. All of that money dumped into Nuke can easily be allocated for better options. For me, it's just not reasonable or sustainable to spend $8.6 million next season on Cogliano, Nichushkin, and Comeau, and only Nichushkin has an affordable out.

Reactions: Troy McClure

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh yeah ... and Heiskanen probably hit all of his B bonuses, none of his A bonuses. That's another $850,000 against this years cap, but Dallas is over the cap. Now, I know ELC's called up after a player is placed on LTIR must account for their bonuses against that players LTIR money. I'm not sure how it works when a guy is already on the roster like Heiskanen.

There's at least a chance that $850,000 in bonuses could come of next seasons cap. I think it's unlikely, but looking at Cap Friendly, it doesn't seem like Heiskanen's bonuses were accounted for in the LTIR space.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Val's under 26 ... his buyout would cost 1/3rd spread over two years not 2/3rds. Nill rarely gives up on anyone, but financially, buying out Val would open up significant cap space next year with a nominal hit the following year. Whether they should or not is fine to debate, but it is far from an unreasonable option.

Next season's cap hit would be $700,000 with a savings of $2,250,000. His cap hit the following year would only be $450,000.

I'm really happy that Nuke has played better lately and he seems like he could be useful playing 4th line minutes in the playoffs. That said, it's a no brainer to buy him out if you have designs on spending in free agency on a scorer and hopefully a defenseman. Esa is pushing his next contract closer to if not over $5 million with his career year. A Top 6 Scorer is going to cost $5 to $6 million on the low end. Another defenseman would cost $4 to $6 million. That's $14 to $17 million for 3 players. Projected cap next year is $83 million giving Dallas about $21.5 million in space. That leaves $4.5 million to $7.5 million remaining in space for Mattias Janmark ($2.3 million QO ... likely won't get more), Jason Dickinson (approximately $920K QO .... probably gets around $1.5 to $2 million on a 2 year deal), and Brett Ritchie ($1.8 million QO .... hopefully he's not qualified). You'd also need to sign at least 2 more defenders.

Bottom line, you have to make buyout decisions before free agency. Nichuskin is not a $3 million player, and Dallas already has too many slightly overpaid Bottom 6 forwards. I don't have any confidence that Nill would pull the trigger, but this team has proven they just need scoring to take the next step. All of that money dumped into Nuke can easily be allocated for better options. For me, it's just not reasonable or sustainable to spend $8.6 million next season on Cogliano, Nichushkin, and Comeau, and only Nichushkin has an affordable out.

Yup, Cogliano, Comeau, and Nichushkin all cost too much and our GM signed them all up or traded for them. Not very smart. I hope he does clear the cap space of Val. I try to look at the positives for him this season in his play.. hes done well in some areas. But at the end of the day you can't pay 3 million for 0 goals. Just can't happen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Boys better win tonight or at least clinch. I'll be out of town for Friday and Saturdays games so I may not get to watch them although I'll try to

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Yup, Cogliano, Comeau, and Nichushkin all cost too much and our GM signed them all up or traded for them. Not very smart. I hope he does clear the cap space of Val. I try to look at the positives for him this season in his play.. hes done well in some areas. But at the end of the day you can't pay 3 million for 0 goals. Just can't happen.
Although I was admittedly okay with the trade at the time, you could probably add Oleksiak to that list as well.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Cogliano is overpaid, which is fine for now as long as he is an even slightly useful player. You can still dump him via waivers or by trading him for futures. However, if he stops being useful as early as next year then you won't be able to dump him anymore and you'll have a significant cap problem because of it.

I think this off-season it should be a priority to move on from Cogliano while it's still possible. Buying out Nichushkin is a no-brainer. This might be an above average free agent crop so having some cap space is important. Of course, that's true for every team so it might not be possible to trade Cogliano until after most players have been signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->