GDT: #80: FLYERS at Stars, Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 8:30 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you don’t think there is a place for fast, aggressive fore checking from bottom 6, you need to watch any of the top teams in nhl.

He isn’t suggesting old school goon hockey I don’t think.
That's not what was described...

I want nothing to do with Hagg.

You can play with skill and snarl. Flyers need to realize that.

Sure, you can have both, but I don't think that has anything to do with why the team is losing.

A lack of "snarl" isn't why the coaches are idiots or the system is a joke or young guys are being misused or any of this teams major problems right now.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Yeah Bill, who wouldn't want to play one of the hottest goalies in recent memory. In a playoff series. It's not like that position matters a lot in the playoffs or anything.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Just in regards to teams that are skilled but also impose their will physically, and play with some snarl so to speak.

Nashville, Winnipeg, Washington.

Obviously too clubs, but the team doesn’t need to trot out guys like Hagg who do nothing but hit.

They also can’t rely on simply beating teams with skill alone. Use all the tools available to you.

This team was soft as hell this year, and no I don’t want bruisers who can’t play the game. It’s a mindset, and something this team has lacked for years. An actual identity.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We traded a inexperienced, inconsistent guy, who couldn't stay healthy (hurt again right now... knee injury apparently), for a goalie that was bad while on a bad team, but had a history of being really good. It was a bet on Talbot being able to bounce back and I can understand it.

Plus, as much as I hate the whole resistance to using youth, two goalies as inexperienced as Hart-Stolarz as the tandem for next year was something that would make even myself nervous.

Talbot was individually awful on that bad team. Stolarz has upside. Talbot peaked and has declined into the gutter and doesn't really have upside anymore.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Just in regards to teams that are skilled but also impose their will physically, and play with some snarl so to speak.

Obviously too clubs, but the team doesn’t need to trot out guys like Hagg who do nothing but hit.

They also can rely on simply beating teams with skill alone. Use all the tools available to you.

This team was soft as hell this year, and no I don’t want bruisers who can’t play the game. It’s a mindset, and something this team has lacked for years. An actual identity.
One of Hextall’s biggest flaws.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
That's not what was described...

Sure, you can have both, but I don't think that has anything to do with why the team is losing.

A lack of "snarl" isn't why the coaches are idiots or the system is a joke or young guys are being misused or any of this teams major problems right now.

A lot of issues for sure, and definitely not why they are losing but I do think they increase their chances of winning games if they play with more of an edge.

They have been bitch slapped, and dominated physically in a lot of games this year. Among other reasons they have lost.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So Fletcher's trade history so far is to deal a young, injury-prone goalie for an older goalie whom they hoped wasn't as sucky as he's been the past two seasons ... and then the Flyers don't play him. Then he deals Simmonds for someone who I'm meh about being on next season's 4th line ... and a 4th that's MAYBE a 3rd.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Disagree. You can play with physicality and grit....and still not suck like Hagg. Things like winning board battles to gain possession.

Many games, it's like watching men playing against kids.

Christ, a team like Montreal shows WAY more grit than we do...and they use team speed to help separate guys from the puck.
Like I just said, I have no problem with physicality in addition to skill, but I don't buy that a lack of physicality is the problem right now. If you list our main problems, that's not up there as the cause of any of them.

Coaching, system, inexperience, a few trash players, and underused youth... THAT is what needs to change.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

They also can rely on simply beating teams with skill alone. Use all the tools available to you.

It’s not just a lack of toughness in a physical sense, but even worse it’s a lack of mental toughness, heart and intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad