8 Team total playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Darren Dreger has tweeted that only 4 teams from each conference (assuming that's what he means) will be in the playoffs with the season starting Feb 4. That would mean they're getting rid of the 1st round

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Maybe not getting rid of the first round but lower the 7 game series to 5.

No Dreger tweeted only 8 team playoff. Would be 4 from each conference so 1vs4 and 2vs3. Would be the same as getting rid of the 1st round and acting as if all the top seeds won their 1st round series

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
No Dreger tweeted only 8 team playoff. Would be 4 from each conference so 1vs4 and 2vs3. Would be the same as getting rid of the 1st round and acting as if all the top seeds won their 1st round series

That maybe so but I can't see all 20 managers agreeing to that. Why have a season if the top 4 teams from each conference only make it. That means 12 teams would miss the playoffs that won't happen that would be the biggest disadvantage to over half the league and teams would most certainly lose money in the OHL if that were to happen, maybe a four team round-robin play but I can't see managers agreeing to this.

Reactions: windsor7

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lets be real. In the OHL, how often do the 6th through 8th place teams win their series?

I feel sorta bad for the 5th place team but after that? Meh. Who cares. The first round is pretty much a waste of time in the OHL.

Only reason to run a first round is to make playoff revenue. With no fans, why waste the $$$ operating?

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Lets be real. In the OHL, how often do the 6th through 8th place teams win their series?

I feel sorta bad for the 5th place team but after that? Meh. Who cares. The first round is pretty much a waste of time in the OHL.

Only reason to run a first round is to make playoff revenue. With no fans, why waste the $$$ operating?

5th, 6th, 7th and 8th seeds in round 1:

2019: 0-8
2018: 0-8
2017: 0-8
2016: 1-7 (7 seed)
2015: 1-7 (5 seed)
2014: 1-7 (6 seed)
2013: 1-7 (5 seed)

So 5-8 seeds are 4-52 in their first round series since 2013. And none of those teams won their 2nd round series so 5-8 seeds are 4-56 in all series since 2013. So going down to just 1-4 seeds really doesn't change anything at all from a competitive sense

Reactions: Otto

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Running a season might be cost operating......

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Running a season might be cost operating......

There are benefits of running a season at a financial loss. Fan engagement through Online Streaming. Player development, even if it is a shortened season.

Considering many of the 7 and 8 seeds get swept in the first round, there really isn’t a significant benefit of running a 16 team playoff under these circumstances.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
There are benefits of running a season at a financial loss. Fan engagement through Online Streaming. Player development, even if it is a shortened season.

Considering many of the 7 and 8 seeds get swept in the first round, there really isn’t a significant benefit of running a 16 team playoff under these circumstances.

No vacine completely ready to go.
No fans.
Border closed.
No checking or hitting.
Wait till September.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
No vacine completely ready to go.
No fans.
Border closed.
No checking or hitting.
Wait till September.

Branch said the no hitting thing was never once talked about and the lady who said it (Lisa McLeod) said she regretted saying it. So I assume that is not/never was a reality

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Branch said the no hitting thing was never once talked about and the lady who said it (Lisa McLeod) said she regretted saying it. So I assume that is not/never was a reality

I do think we will get quick whistles in the corners and side board during scrums. No fighting. Full face Shields.

Other than that, I am not sure anything else will affect play on ice.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I do think we will get quick whistles in the corners and side board during scrums. No fighting. Full face Shields.

Other than that, I am not sure anything else will affect play on ice.

The no fighting or hitting really won't be much of a change there for the OHL, it has pretty much been banned already so. The real thing will be the pushing scrums and facewashing after whistles. Other than that the league will be the same.

Reactions: Finster8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The no fighting or hitting really won't be much of a change there for the OHL, it has pretty much been banned already so. The real thing will be the pushing scrums and facewashing after whistles. Other than that the league will be the same.

I think you will see hitting. Or at least the normal amount you would see.

I agree that heavy contact and fighting have reduced greatly already.

Guys will still be hit into the boards and open ice as usual though.

The main area will be reducing the prolonged contact like you mentioned above. Post whistle scrums and long battles along the boards and in the corners will be heavily discouraged. Whether they penalize it with misconducts is yet to be seen.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
5th, 6th, 7th and 8th seeds in round 1:

2019: 0-8
2018: 0-8
2017: 0-8
2016: 1-7 (7 seed)
2015: 1-7 (5 seed)
2014: 1-7 (6 seed)
2013: 1-7 (5 seed)

So 5-8 seeds are 4-52 in their first round series since 2013. And none of those teams won their 2nd round series so 5-8 seeds are 4-56 in all series since 2013. So going down to just 1-4 seeds really doesn't change anything at all from a competitive sense

Thanks for the digging. I’d have put $$$ on no 7 or 8 seeds winning a series over the last 10 years. That said, there have been some really poor division winners with the #2 seed so it shouldn’t surprise me to he honest.

Clearly #5 seeds can beat #4 seeds. I am actually surprised it hasn’t happened more than twice! In the end, if we are sacrificing the #5 seed to make the schedule more meaningful by adding two weeks to the regular season, I think that is a sacrifice worth while. Those extra five of six regular season games will help legitimize the value of the regular season.

Reactions: Otto

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Thanks for the digging. I’d have put $$$ on no 7 or 8 seeds winning a series over the last 10 years. That said, there have been some really poor division winners with the #2 seed so it shouldn’t surprise me to he honest.

Clearly #5 seeds can beat #4 seeds. I am actually surprised it hasn’t happened more than twice! In the end, if we are sacrificing the #5 seed to make the schedule more meaningful by adding two weeks to the regular season, I think that is a sacrifice worth while. Those extra five of six regular season games will help legitimize the value of the regular season.

2011 a 7 seed (Sudbury) and a 6th seed (Plymouth) won first round, but both were swept in the second

Last 8th seed to win in the first round was in 2005

Toronto (8) over Mississauga (1)

Also that season

Ottawa (6) over Barrie (3)
Sudbury (5) over Brampton (4)
Windsor (7) over Sault Ste. Marie (2)

But we all know that this was all Branch's plan in order to give the Knights an easier run to being the Greatest OHL team of all time :naughty::laugh::popcorn:

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

As of now, no one knows what hockey will look like when it ever starts up next year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->