GDT: [#8] Dallas Stars @ Columbus Blue Jackets, 6:00PM CST (FS-SW, FS-O)

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Rough start but the Stars have too much talent and vets for them to struggle much longer. Mainly checking in to see how Cogs has looked and what you thought of Perry's game last night?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Rough start but the Stars have too much talent and vets for them to struggle much longer. Mainly checking in to see how Cogs has looked and what you thought of Perry's game last night?
Cogs is the 2nd worst forward on the roster, behind of only Benn. Perry looked really good

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box

Cogliano has really struggled to start the season. Perry had a very strong first game, responsible for a couple of good scoring chances.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don't think much happens to the roster at all until closer to the trade deadline. Even if they wanted to go full teardown today, there aren't exactly many teams able to take on these big contracts this early into a season.

As I see it, even if Gaglardi presses the detonate button and fires all the Jims, the roster will look pretty much the same until late in the season.

Yeah figured as much. Even at the deadline it’s usually guys on expiring contracts. One thing that sucks is Sekera and Perry both have bonuses worked into their contracts so teams might hesitate to trade for them. I remember it happening with Radim Vrbata couple years back.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
That's interesting... is he being misused? What's the theory on Benn?

He hasn't struggled as much as they say he has lol. He's been fine in a 4th line role. Nothing special and most games not noticeable but also not terrible. Just kinda there. Formed a nice energy line for a little while with a couple of rookies

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
He's not the only one, but I think Cogliano is one of the worst forwards in terms of eschewing controlled puck movement in favor of dump outs and dump ins which we never recover.

Personally I really value controlled puck movement (can't score if you don't have the puck). So, I'm not overly high on Cogliano's game right now.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Cogliano is a high effort player , a good penalty killer and he's reasonably fast but man he is bad at puck handling and he's also not a good shooter.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Cogliano is a high effort player , a good penalty killer and he's reasonably fast but man he is bad at puck handling and he's also not a good shooter.
He's one of those guys (like Comeau) that fans like me are going to focus on when the whole team is playing poorly. If the big names were scoring at will, no one would really care about a couple of dud forwards like Cogliano, but when they need help from every spot in the lineup, having some be total offensive black holes in infuriating.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's one of those guys (like Comeau) that fans like me are going to focus on when the whole team is playing poorly. If the big names were scoring at will, no one would really care about a couple of dud forwards like Cogliano, but when they need help from every spot in the lineup, having some be total offensive black holes in infuriating.

Yeah i agree . The teams problems are not Cogliano or Dowling or Fedun but the big guns playing 20-25+ minutes a night. Those need to produce and they just have no done that so far.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

And this sentiment is what's confusing to fans like me - why spend so much energy complaining about Cogliano, Comeau, Dowling, [insert whatever 4th liner] when the big guys aren't scoring? You should be complaining about the big guys not scoring!

If the top players are scoring, the Stars are a playoff team, but if they aren't then the team isn't. It doesn't really matter what happens on the third and fourth lines, at least not to the degree people seem to focus on it in their posts. The team goes as the top two lines go, that's it, that's what determines the season.

Reactions: serp

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
And this sentiment is what's confusing to fans like me - why spend so much energy complaining about Cogliano, Comeau, Dowling, [insert whatever 4th liner] when the big guys aren't scoring? You should be complaining about the big guys not scoring!

If the top players are scoring, the Stars are a playoff team, but if they aren't then the team isn't. It doesn't really matter what happens on the third and fourth lines, at least not to the degree people seem to focus on it in their posts. The team goes as the top two lines go, that's it, that's what determines the season.

It's usually smart to have a backup plan in life. Stars don't have a backup plan when it comes to scoring and that's frustrating.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
It's usually smart to have a backup plan in life. Stars don't have a backup plan when it comes to scoring and that's frustrating.

The backup scoring plan is the second line and the defenders, not the fourth line. The fourth line only exists to give the other lines time to catch their breath.

Any team that expects points out of their fourth line in order to win games has already lost.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The backup scoring plan is the second line and the defenders, not the fourth line. The fourth line only exists to give the other lines time to catch their breath.

Any team that expects points out of their fourth line in order to win games has already lost.

I really hate this sentiment, a goal scored by the 4th line is worth the exact same as a goal scored by the 1st line. Why should Cogliano being paid $3.25 million to not help be above criticism.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I dont even care what the excuses are anymore. Just want to see the reset button get hit. Need to get younger and need more pieces to build around Roope, Miro, Harley and Oettinger.

Give me Lafreniere 2020 draft then Aatu Räty for the 2021 draft. :nod:

Reactions: Kipper 17

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Cogliano has been a disappointment but far for our biggest worries. He is what he is at this point, an overpaid fourth liner.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

It's not that I'm complaining about Cogliano instead of complaining about Benn and Seguin. It's more that if Benn and Seguin were playing great, I'd not be complaining about any of them all that much.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Everyone gets evaluated more critically when the team is losing. It’s not limited to just the big guns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad