Player Discussion #8 - Ben Chiarot: Swing Low, Sweet Chiarot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I went to the Jets board and asked what some had to say about Chiarot.

My question:

Putting aside his salary and term, when we focus on just the player, what can Montreal expect from Chiarot?

I haven't watched much, if any, of him. I mostly heard of him because Ray Ferraro on Montreal radio said last week that he thinks Habs should go for Chiarot.

A few other former-player-turned-analysts on local media here (Marc Denis & Bruno Gervais) also shared their opinion that Montreal should target Chiarot. So clearly, those who watched him more than me seem to like him.

Any insight?

Some answers:

- Tough as nails, rocket of a shot. Lots of tools but no tool box. Looked decent when he was paired with Buff, but so does everyone. If he's playing anything other than third pairing, he'll cost you games. Horrible gap control and can't make a pass. Panics and ices the puck. Gets walked all the time

- He's a tough defenseman that can hit but has some brain farts from time to time . Don't expect much offense from him though .

- Generally consistent defensive play. Gritty player, not afraid to drop the gloves and has a bomb of a slapshot but without the accuracy. Mostly a stay at home defenseman who thrives best with a partner who drives the play. Rugged good looks and French surname.

- What everyone else plus he is super-handsome.

- Plays tough around his own net and limits chances there. Terrible with the puck. You can expect a lot of icings from him when he panics with the puck. He will definitely slow down the Habs' transition game. He's not a good passer at all.

- That contract is about 3 years too long and $3.5M too high.

- Has some sandpaper in his game and he loves to ice the puck .....

- Most here don't like him. I say he is pretty good on the 3rd pair, but definitely flawed. He skates well though not especially fast, not slow either. He hits hard. He blocks shots. He plays defense first but his gaps are not great. He sometimes rushes his first pass. Big shot from the point that he doesn't use often enough. Decent value at <2.5 mil/yr. Overpaid at 3.5.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well maybe we should pair him with Juulsen. The other team will be so intimidated by their looks that they will be thrown off their game.

upload_2019-7-4_23-28-26.jpeg

upload_2019-7-4_23-26-13.jpeg
upload_2019-7-4_23-27-20.jpeg

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

My question:

Putting aside his salary and term, when we focus on just the player, what can Montreal expect from Chiarot?

I haven't watched much, if any, of him. I mostly heard of him because Ray Ferraro on Montreal radio said last week that he thinks Habs should go for Chiarot.

A few other former-player-turned-analysts on local media here (Marc Denis & Bruno Gervais) also shared their opinion that Montreal should target Chiarot. So clearly, those who watched him more than me seem to like him.

Any insight?

Some answers:

- Tough as nails, rocket of a shot. Lots of tools but no tool box. Looked decent when he was paired with Buff, but so does everyone. If he's playing anything other than third pairing, he'll cost you games. Horrible gap control and can't make a pass. Panics and ices the puck. Gets walked all the time

- He's a tough defenseman that can hit but has some brain farts from time to time . Don't expect much offense from him though .

- Generally consistent defensive play. Gritty player, not afraid to drop the gloves and has a bomb of a slapshot but without the accuracy. Mostly a stay at home defenseman who thrives best with a partner who drives the play. Rugged good looks and French surname.

- Plays tough around his own net and limits chances there. Terrible with the puck. You can expect a lot of icings from him when he panics with the puck. He will definitely slow down the Habs' transition game. He's not a good passer at all.

- Most here don't like him. I say he is pretty good on the 3rd pair, but definitely flawed. He skates well though not especially fast, not slow either. He hits hard. He blocks shots. He plays defense first but his gaps are not great. He sometimes rushes his first pass. Big shot from the point that he doesn't use often enough. Decent value at <2.5 mil/yr. Overpaid at 3.5.

I'm terrified....:help:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

My question:

Any insight?

Some answers:

That... Sounds like Jordie Benn, literally everything in that analysis. I wouldn't pay Jordie Benn that much for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jets fans overall not that high on him.

Wait til Canuck fans ask us about Jordie Benn.

Ugh ... what do you mean no one asked about him? :sarcasm:

We've got an improvement over Benn -- Chiarot profiles as a no. 5. How much of an improvement? Well, how difficult could it be to be better than Benn?

We'll find out.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

My question:

Any insight?

Some answers:

That contract is about 3 years too long and $3.5M too high.

LMAO

Reactions: Adam Michaels

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I hope I’m wrong but I hate this move right now. 3.5 mil x 3 years for a bottom pairing guy?

Not going to lie... I’m not too thrilled ATM. That’s second pairing money, which we also got tied up with Alzner. Just think of it... over $8m tied up between both those guys...

Anyways, hoping this signing works out but if he ends up playing top or second pair consistently, I think that says more about our depth than his performance.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
It’s definitely the most Bargain Bin move that Bargain Bin could make. We desperately needed some size and toughness on defense (up front too)... 10 million bucks between him and Alzner these next few years is a tough one to justify to anyone. When is Mole-son finally going to admit that this guy isn’t a good GM and send him packing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad