7th Heaven?

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Having already played back to back ‘must win’ games the Wings have earned a chance to go for a troika in what will hopefully be a dramatic final. It would be a shame for it to be a Bruinesque type blowout at this point.

After alternating blowout victories by the Sabres and then Red Wings respectively, game 6 was a tight defensive game with both goaltenders playing well. Having learned their lesson, both teams also played a very disciplined game with a minimal number of penalties being called. In the end Mikhael Grabovski emerged as the hero for Detroit having scored both the game tying and game winning goals.

History is not lost on the Wings as no HFNHL team has ever come back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals to win the Cup. In addition the Wings lost game 7 of their only other cup finals appearance 8 years ago. Unbelievably GM Niece will not be able to “attend†game 7 in person as he will be tied up in an unavoidable management presentation during the early game. Don’t be surprised though if he interrupts his own presentation to check the CrackBerry if the results come in.

So now it comes to one final game....Detroit has all the momentum whilst Buffalo has to dig deep and find that same big play ability that got them here in the first place. In Front of their home fans, if the Sabres step up, they should triumph, but if they don't play like men possessed, they will watch the cup slip right through their fingers.....

Stay tuned for game 7 folks!:amazed:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Wow. Un-F-U-C-K-I-N-G real. I don't know whether to laugh or puke.

Damn you, Drew. First one to take the Cup from the Central.

Seriously though, congrats man. Well done.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
DREWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! EL gran Campeon . Congrats man!!!
You'r the gm of the year for me.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Fricking fantastic work Drew. And congrats to Josh as well for another outstanding season for his Sabres despite the tough loss.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks gentlemen. It certainly brightened a long day for me. Unfortunately the bosses have the nerve to expect me to do some work right now instead of celebrating but I'll be sure to post something more substantive shortly.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
How dare they? Don't they know what it means to win the Cup!?!

Actually, it's probably better that they *don't* know just how much time and effort goes into running an HFNHL team all year (never mind for a decade!); they might assume you're slacking off at work!

Congratulations, my friend - this is the unlikely culmination of years of work. I'd say it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, but a) people know you, and b) as Nick points out, you beat us all in the Central Division to the Cup, when you were *supposed* to be frickin' rebuilding! Gahhh!!! On the bright side, at least you got revenge on the team that spoiled the Division's last foray into the Finals. (ahem).

Random thoughts:

- This game was won - both figuratively and literally - in the first period when the Sabres handily out-shot the Wings but entered the first intermission trailing. From there on, the momentum was all Detroit.

- Talk about beating them on the scoreboard and then in the alley: Redden and Rivet - two highly questionable acquisitions - both managed to make their presence felt by laying out the opposition in two scraps as Buffalo struggled to regain the initiative. Nicely done, boys!

- For my money, it's Guy Carbonneau that deserves an award for coaching that group of misfits into ring-bearers. (Him, and of course the gimme Conn Smythe for King Henrik).

- I like how the empty netter was scored by two-time (three-time? Four-time?) Red Wing Blair Betts.

- Josh: you've quietly (for you, anyway) gone about making the Sabres a perennial threat, and just when we think the mad trader is dead, you pull off an Ovechkin deal to make things even scarier. You ran into some ridiculous mojo this year, and can only take solace in the fact that you were far from the only heavily-favoured team to get taken out by the Little Engine That Could. You should be proud of how well your team played, and since you're looking equally dangerous for next year, you may well get another shot in an otherwise increasingly pourous Eastern Conference. (Note to Kruegs: :P)

- Drew, hope there's still some challenge out there for you to make it worth sticking around. But if not - it'd be a hell of a swan song! (And frankly hard to top!).

Last edited:

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
you may well get another shot in an otherwise increasingly pourous Eastern Conference. (Note to Kruegs: :P)

That didn't take long...

The east has better beer.

I look forward to kicking your sorry arse next year Doug :)

Now - back to Drew - enjoy a virtual beverage in that virtual cup this evening!

Cheers,

R

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Congratulation Drew, this victory is bitter sweet one especially after trading all the dogs for future.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Congratulations Drew! Atleast it feels better to know I only lost to the champion. With that said, my Avs still ended up with a higher win% in the playoffs, going .643 in 14 games compared to Detroit's .640.. but in the end it's only the cup that counts..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad