GDT: 7PM @ Pepsi Center - Avs vs. Stars - Feel that Bass Line

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
My thoughts:

- If the staff picks LOC over Kamenev, they're out to lunch. Kamenev is the better player by far and has shown he's pretty versatile, doing well on the PP and the PK.

- This team looks destined to completely under utilize Carl Soderberg's offense at even strength.

- Folks, get ready for Matt Calvert to blow a lot of chances this year. Just before the Stars third goal, he had a mini break with no one around him and he failed to even get a freaking shot off. Good speed and good forechecker though.

- Z smoked a few dudes and looks physically ready. He and Barberio looked rusty, which makes sense given they both were playing their first games.

- Varly's rebound control was a mess. He was sliding completely out of the net on the first goal, and didn't know where the rebound went on the third. The second goal wasn't pretty.

- Nemeth/Alt is a pairing I hope to never see in my lifetime again. What a mess on the breakout.

- Bednar is a Ty Lewis fan, but already said he needs to play this year and get a lot of ice time. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a game in the NHL this year at some point though.

- Jost started out flying but kind of faded away. I thought he played well overall though.

- Colin Wilson once scoring 20 goals blows my mind. He is completely incapable of finishing.

- The preseason should only be 4 games. This is ridiculous.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
My thoughts:

- If the staff picks LOC over Kamenev, they're out to lunch. Kamenev is the better player by far and has shown he's pretty versatile, doing well on the PP and the PK.

- This team looks destined to completely under utilize Carl Soderberg's offense at even strength.

- Folks, get ready for Matt Calvert to blow a lot of chances this year. Just before the Stars third goal, he had a mini break with no one around him and he failed to even get a freaking shot off. Good speed and good forechecker though.

- Z smoked a few dudes and looks physically ready. He and Barberio looked rusty, which makes sense given they both were playing their first games.

- Varly's rebound control was a mess. He was sliding completely out of the net on the first goal, and didn't know where the rebound went on the third. The second goal wasn't pretty.

- Nemeth/Alt is a pairing I hope to never see in my lifetime again. What a mess on the breakout.

- Bednar is a Ty Lewis fan, but already said he needs to play this year and get a lot of ice time. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a game in the NHL this year at some point though.

- Jost started out flying but kind of faded away. I thought he played well overall though.

- Colin Wilson once scoring 20 goals blows my mind. He is completely incapable of finishing.

- The preseason should only be 4 games. This is ridiculous.

Thanks for your thoughts. Kamenev did really well on faceoffs for the second game in a row, but Soderberg and Jost did as well. Obviously it may have helped that the Stars big guns were out, but some encouraging signs may be in place for improvement in that area.

I don't see how the Avs select LOC over Kamenev based on the last couple of preseason games, but who really knows.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I can see a point in doing that because they have no one else who can play in D situations, but what irks me is that they don't use him effectively where he proved he can be pretty damn good, the PP.
I suppose, yeah. I just hate how much the scrubs have to play in this system.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
I suppose, yeah. I just hate how much the scrubs have to play in this system.

Just give the man some decent linemates. He's clearly the 2nd best center on this team and should be given linemates the reflect that. I'd put Kamenev and Jost with him. If soda can turn Nieto into a 3rd liner, I think he'd work wonders for the kids and teach them how to play defensively.

Reactions: Pure and MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

This doesn't really surprise me at all. I think we have seen enough to know that Bednar loves scrappy little forwards with some jump to their game. Bourque, Calvert, Lewis, Nieto, Jost, Ghetto... certainly his type.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yup. Well, it's good that he'll have some new blood with a bit of a wild card in Lewis. At some point one of these guys is going to have to turn out above average.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This doesn't really surprise me at all. I think we have seen enough to know that Bednar loves scrappy little forwards with some jump to their game. Bourque, Calvert, Lewis, Nieto, Jost, Ghetto... certainly his type.

Bourque is not an example of a player Bednar has a preference for. He made him spend almost his entire first season with the Avs in the minors.

He also hasn't displayed any preference for Jost. He was a bottom 6 guy most of his rookie year, including spending a fair amount of time on a 4th line. Same with Ghetto, despite some decent showings in spurts in a top 6 role.

Bednar likes speedy, tenacious forwards, that can play the system he likes to employ. That tends to be smaller, quicker players that play a simplified north south game.

Last year though he showed he's willing to adapt his system for elite offensive players, looking to play a more creative game, with some east-west play, and tempo changes like Nate and Mikko. He also showed more willingness to employ grit with Bourque, as long as he improved his skating and conditioning.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost had another good night on faceoffs. Going 5 out of 8 for 63%.

This could be a big factor in him holding down a #2C role for the Avs. Faceoffs are a big part of a two way centerman's role, and we know the Avs are hurting in this area to begin with. Jost has a very high work ethic for the small details of the game too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him really develop this aspect of the game, similar to how ROR and Drury did.

That said, I'd like to see him get on the scoresheet one of these games. I'd like to see him get some good linemates too though. I'm not sure he's a guy that can create a ton of offense by himself. He needs some talented players to work with.

Reactions: New Scotlander

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if we'll be saying the same thing about Kerfoot's 19 goals.
Well, one player has legitimate skill and the other might be the very reason the term "grinder" was created lol. I think Kerfoot has a real shot at being a consistent 15-18 goal scorer in this league, but I like him more than most.

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad