GDT: 7PM ET: Philadelphia Flyers at YOUR NEW JERSEEEYYYYY DEVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Haha I was being funny. I was mimicking something a poster continuously says ragging on Marty's save percentage. He really had no chance on any of them. The Knuble one was long, but point blank in the slot. He almost gave up that goal to Foster though that went off the post. It was double deflected, and the big orange cone wouldn't have even gotten credit for it haha.

Marty has been significantly better to start this year than last. His rebound control has been a lot better though he will let out a few bad ones from time to time like the other night against Carolina. His even strength save percentage is way up from 10 games into last season. As is his save percentage overall.

You could never blame that one on Marty if Foster scored. Deflected off a skate and the ref through a screen. I'd piss myself too if the orange cone scored, but that would of been unfair.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
CBGB has enough spunk that you can throw them out against scoring lines for a few shifts a night and they'll excel due to their ability to cause turnovers. But if they take regular shifts against scorning lines they get exposed.

I love them to death and think they're one of the most ballin' 4th lines the NHL has seen in forever, but let's not forget the reason they are on the 4th line. It's because they're not legitimate top forwards. If they were good enough to be consistent 3rd liners, that's where they would be.

That being said, they've done a hell of a job. I've never seen a group of players with so little do so much. I couldn't be more proud of them and the way they represent this team. But we need to keep perspective when evaluating them. They just aren't terribly good players, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can score 20 goals.

It's simple.

They need to be a fourth line. Right now, they are a third line. When Zubrus comes back, a third line of either Zubrus or Poni alongside Josefson and Butler (or if you hate JJ then Loktionov) would make a good third line, pushing the CBGB line to the fourth line. They are all smart players who often times take the safe play out. They keep the puck along the boards where it's less likely to damage them and they just play a simple dump and chase and go to the front of the net game.

If we have Gionta playing PK and Bernier playing PP, it allows us to relieve guys like Poni and Zubrus of those minutes, which is always good.

Poni-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Zubrus-Josefson/Loktionov-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Jamie McClennan on NHL Tonight. He's a former Islanders goalie.

I was gonna say we know it wasn't Foster cause he was playing tonight lol. I actually did feel bad for him when he had to comment on Zidlicky and the Devils a bunch during the playoffs during his guest work last year :laugh: He was pretty professional about it though, I could definitely see him doing studio work in his next career.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's simple.

They need to be a fourth line. Right now, they are a third line. When Zubrus comes back, a third line of either Zubrus or Poni alongside Josefson and Butler (or if you hate JJ then Loktionov) would make a good third line, pushing the CBGB line to the fourth line. They are all smart players who often times take the safe play out. They keep the puck along the boards where it's less likely to damage them and they just play a simple dump and chase and go to the front of the net game.

If we have Gionta playing PK and Bernier playing PP, it allows us to relieve guys like Poni and Zubrus of those minutes, which is always good.

Poni-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Zubrus-Josefson/Loktionov-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

But let us also be clear that they would not be a typical 4th line getting the garbage time minutes or the 6-10 min ice time a game like the crap other teams ice as 4th lines. We want to roll 4 lines effectively so we can tone down the top lines TOI (Kovy especially) exploit match ups and just grind teams to dust.

Problem right now is we can't play JJ's line much at all because it is pretty ineffective. Butler coming up has helped, but Barch, while competent, doesn't help create anything to warrant that line being out there more. Get Zubs on that line and then you can play them longer.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
But let us also be clear that they would not be a typical 4th line getting the garbage time minutes or the 6-10 min ice time a game like the crap other teams ice as 4th lines. We want to roll 4 lines effectively so we can tone down the top lines TOI (Kovy especially) exploit match ups and just grind teams to dust.

Problem right now is we can't play JJ's line much at all because it is pretty ineffective. Butler coming up has helped, but Barch, while competent, doesn't help create anything to warrant that line being out there more. Get Zubs on that line and then you can play them longer.

My fear with waiting for Zubrus to put CBGB back as the fourth line is that if they have a few bad games before then they'll be broken up by that point. I don't want to see them broken up, I just want to see them play in the role they should.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
201302151956718197480-p2.jpeg

201302152128772997825-p2.jpg

201302152055753597636-p2.jpg

12282074-standard.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You could never blame that one on Marty if Foster scored. Deflected off a skate and the ref through a screen. I'd piss myself too if the orange cone scored, but that would of been unfair.

I wouldn't have blamed Marty. He's been on the receiving end of a couple bad deflections. I think two against Carolina changed direction on him.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Was just reading the Flyers board GDT and they seem to have it right: Devils have a great coach and play like a team, and it makes it easier to overcome mistakes with hard work. Flyers have a coach that wants all offense all the time and any team that is good on the counterattack/forecheck can beat them.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
he does an ok job at analizing the goalie postiion but man, does he have a weak on air personality. a square.

dont get me wrong, i dont dislike the guy but too straight and narrow for my taste.

NHL tonight desperately misses Brian Duff, who has been a huge breath of fresh air on the homertastic Buffalo broadcasts.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always said in the off season, and during the lockout that I would feel much more secure with even just Poni back. I don't expect that line to be pumping every game, but man it really does feel good to have Poni back. He, and Kovy were pretty beastly in the playoffs together.

This is the best the Kovy/Zajac line have looked all season. No coincidence they get a goal on their first shift with the new winger.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
A couple things:

Larsson's keep in at the blueline and nice low shot Clarkson tipped in was beautiful

I'm pretty surprised Larsson has the tongues of his skates hanging out now. He had them tucked under his shin pads last year. Anyone that has played puck will tell you that's a huge change. Completely different feel..But the guy is playing some damn good puck and he's only going to get better. He is so much better at dealing with speed on the outside. He got coned a lot last year, not the case now.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NHL tonight desperately misses Brian Duff, who has been a huge breath of fresh air on the homertastic Buffalo broadcasts.

jennerart has the record for the longest 'on your knees' broadcast in nhl history so im not surprised that there is a breath of air.

RJ is fantastic when it comes to actually calling the play and describing what happens on the ice, but yeah, he's a huge homer. They all are on that broadcast. Rob Ray, Kevin Sylvester, Harry Neale....the only one that isn't is Brian Duff. Mike Robataille isn't a homer but he's still a senile old man.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I always said in the off season, and during the lockout that I would feel much more secure with even just Poni back. I don't expect that line to be pumping every game, but man it really does feel good to have Poni back. He, and Kovy were pretty beastly in the playoffs together.

This is the best the Kovy/Zajac line have looked all season. No coincidence they get a goal on their first shift with the new winger.

im convinced confidence with both individuals AND team at the same time is one of the most important keys in success. be it NHL, NFL, MLB, that game they throw the ball 10' in the air and it goes in a hoop, my guys in my soccer league, whatever.

its all comes down to team, confidence and yes, ...........chemistry. teams are better with lesser parts that work together.

its just the way it is.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Watching msg+ replay now. What's with the numb nuts flyers fan in the crowd standing up everytime the puck goes into the zone. Attention who're 101?

Glad he spent money to get on tv and see his team lose.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
RJ is fantastic when it comes to actually calling the play and describing what happens on the ice, but yeah, he's a huge homer. They all are on that broadcast. Rob Ray, Kevin Sylvester, Harry Neale....the only one that isn't is Brian Duff. Mike Robataille isn't a homer but he's still a senile old man.

bowen and neale were a tandem for the leafs and it worked. they complimented each others styles like friends that have know each other for a long time.

although, i havent listened to neale since he took the slug job. (obviously)

Jedi

Jul 20, 2010
North Jersey
Much better then that other guy across the river. :sarcasm: And our Zen Master knows how to get mad when needed, as we have seen when he *****ed Torts out AND the amazing "Get Mad" gif when you have him Oates and Big Bird losing their minds. That still might be my favorite gif we have.
I haven't seen this "Get mad" gif. Anyone have it?

edit: Nevermind, saw it on the next page :)

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
This was one of those games that, if you're at, you never forget and talk about for years.. Our fan base is just ridiculous, the energy and the fight was incredible.. I mean its been surreal all season.. Loved seeing Flyers fans everywhere taking **** on their way out

This team is playing solid hockey.. Even down 3-1 I was thinking that we just had to stick with it and not give up another.. Felt exactly like round 2 of the playoffs last year.. And again they just out worked the Flyers

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
bowen and neale were a tandem for the leafs and it worked. they complimented each others styles like friends that have know each other for a long time.

although, i havent listened to neale since he took the slug job. (obviously)

Neale is okay, he's more reasonable than the other guys but he's a bit senile as well.

Anyway, RJ/Neale only do home games now, their road crew is Kevin Sylvester/Rob Ray and it's BY FAR the worst in professional sports. Worse than Steigy/Errey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->