GDT: #79: Rangers at FLYERS, Mar. 31, 2019, 12:30 p.m. ET

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The similarity is there for me. The 85-87 teams had a veteran corps of great but not ultra elite players (Howe excepted): McCrimmon, Marsh, Poulin, Propp, Kerr, Sinisalo, Eklund, Craven, then a bunch of really good kids came in and pushed them over the top: Lindbergh, Hextall, Crossman, Daigneault and the Fs: Ron and Rich Sutter, Tocchet, Zezel, Derrick Smith.

The current team has some great vets and some great young players now, and there are reinforcements coming next year and the years after. As the 3rd and 4th lines fill up with dynamic talented kids, it'll make the team very hard to defend against, see: Tampa Bay.

Giroux, Couturier, Konecny
Lindblom, Patrick, Voracek
JVR, Frost, Allison
Farabee, Vorobyev, Laczynski
Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, Laberge/Kase
Raffl, Laughton, Hartman

If the bulk of our prospects at F continue to reach their potential, like the D and G prospects have, it's going to be a very good, deep team.

Craven and Eklund were reall young as well.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So says another Hextall/Hakstol supporter? Seriously, would you rather that Scott had continued to allow that grease fire to keep going?

I'd prefer that a corporate d****enozzle didn't insert himself in hockey decisions about which he understands absolutely nothing. I'd prefer that such a wankstain weren't dictating the direction we take hockey operations. I don't want this piece of **** and his impatience to lead us back to Holmgren Hockey, throwing money at every free agent in sight and disregarding the importance of maintaining cap flexibility and building through the draft - that **** doesn't work.

Are you really trying to suggest that I of all people was a Hakstok supporter? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I wasn't shy about how I felt about the guy.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'd prefer that a corporate d****enozzle didn't insert himself in hockey decisions about which he understands absolutely nothing. I'd prefer that such a wankstain weren't dictating the direction we take hockey operations. I don't want this piece of **** and his impatience to lead us back to Holmgren Hockey, throwing money at every free agent in sight and disregarding the importance of maintaining cap flexibility and building through the draft - that **** doesn't work.

Are you really trying to suggest that I of all people was a Hakstok supporter? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I wasn't shy about how I felt about the guy.
Well, like it or not, Comcast owns the Flyers so you're going to have a corporate guy in charge of the organization. It seems that Holmgren and he had talked with Hextall about things for a while and it was expressed to the GM that things needed to improve more quickly than they were. The fans were unhappy. Ticket sales were slumping. Something had to be done and Hextall wouldn't budge. Go trying that with your boss and see how far it gets you. He may/may not be a ***** nozzle but you'd probably be fired.
Being a Flyers fan is a tough spot right now but until Fletcher shows that he is incompetent, he doesn't deserve condemnation. How would you feel Scott signed on to hiring Quenneville to coach the club next year? Still a ****** nozzle?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This annoys me. Scott stepped in and canned Hextall which, in turn, meant that Hakstol was out the door. Would people rather that Scott did nothing and the organization kept the Hextall/Hakstol train rolling?
I understand that Scott is a corporate guy and not a hockey veteran but he saw that things were going off of the rails and stepped in to remedy things. When the hockey guys balked at what he wanted done, he canned them.
Scott is what he is. He's not Ed Snider bit it's a different era today than what it was in the 70's. So far he hasn't agreed to sign an over priced goof ball goalie.
Fletcher may not be Keith Allen but let's wait and see what he does before burying him. To his credit, he's cleaned some of the crap out of the stable.

The day he fires Holmgren as well, I’ll
be on board. When he provides this franchise with a real HC and something other than a first round exit while not sacrificing the future.

Otherwise, f*** him like the rest of the big wigs running this show.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
"I want to improve the team NOW. Too many picks and prospects."

"Couturier is not untouchable."

:huh:

Im assuming you're replying to me..

I guess I will repeat it since you must have missed it the first time around:

"it would take an extremely unlikey scenario for many others to be traded."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, like it or not, Comcast owns the Flyers so you're going to have a corporate guy in charge of the organization. It seems that Holmgren and he had talked with Hextall about things for a while and it was expressed to the GM that things needed to improve more quickly than they were. The fans were unhappy. Ticket sales were slumping. Something had to be done and Hextall wouldn't budge. Go trying that with your boss and see how far it gets you. He may/may not be a ***** nozzle but you'd probably be fired.
Being a Flyers fan is a tough spot right now but until Fletcher shows that he is incompetent, he doesn't deserve condemnation. How would you feel Scott signed on to hiring Quenneville to coach the club next year? Still a ****** nozzle?

I wouldn't be thrilled with Q, at his age (61 next season) he'd push Fletcher to make win now moves since I doubt he expects to be coaching in five years. Which means Holmgren redux.

Hextall screwed himself, he should have fought for the FO to admit they were rebuilding, sell it to the fans, and commit to that strategy. If expectations were lower, and he traded for prospects as well as draft picks (speeding up the process and giving fans more kids to watch), Hextall could have ridden out this season.

But if you keep saying we're going to be competitive, when it turns out you're not competitive you've climbed out on a very weak limb.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
IDK what "win now" moves Q would want to make that Fletcher probably isn't going to make anyway. Fletcher has said that he wants a veteran leader for the blue line; preferably a RHer. The 3C that is needed will probably be Frost. There are plenty of seasoned guys up front in G, Couturier, Jake, Raffl, Laughton and JVR. Gudas and Ghost are experienced on the back end and probably Talbot as a back up in goal. TK is not a rookie; neither are Lindblom and Hartman. Sanheim has a year plus under his belt is is improving rapidly. Myers and Morin now have their feet wet and understand the NHL game. With the youth that is on most teams in the league, the Flyers may be a young club but they're not green. Most teams are youngish these days. Its not like a decade ago. The speed of today's game does not work well for a lot of the older players which favors the young ones.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
We really just cashed it in I see. Don't even bother giving the fans something for their money. Losers.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I couldn't watch this game live, but watched the first two periods last night. It wasn't quite as a bad as everyone is saying. I thought the PP passing was very crisp and had a lot of great looks. Several players had good games going after 2. If JVR had cashed his breakaway who knows what might have happened. Not blaming him, just timing would have been perfect. Some of the Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny line shifts were very effective. Hartman looked sharp too, some nice feeds. Just one of those games when the other goalie steals one. Tonight, the third (yes, glutton for punishment).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad