GDT: #79: Rangers at FLYERS, Mar. 31, 2019, 12:30 p.m. ET

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Friends, truly, please stop putting yourselves through these games. Go for a walk. Anything else.

Trouba and his 8x8 contract calls out to us like a siren at sea.

I think this might be the wrong approach. I have learned the error of my ways from the Jags and Foles.

The locker room culture accepts losing. If they give Trouba 8×8 after trading Myers and 14 for him, he'd probably sign it, but if they gave him 10 x 8 instead, he would really command respect and lead them to glory as the One True Captain.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Holmgren_joke.gif

If that wasn't edited, Homer can stay on for eternity

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I dont know if this is a realistic scenario but if theres a team looking to tear it down and if they have a big talent the flyers go all in.
for example Dallas with sequin

again, not saying its realistic but they need to pull a blockbuster that brings an elite player

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It wasn’t. I can’t find a video of it. But the fire alarm went off in the building & Barkhann made a joke about the Flyers got scored on again to which that was Homer’s reaction.
I think it was the goal horn. But yeah, his reaction to Barkann trying to be funny was great.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hope we can be just like Calgary! Trading a #12 pick (Dobson) and 2 2nds for Travis Hamonic.

Or St. Louis! Brayden Schenn for 2 1sts (Farabee and Frost).

Or Arizona! Derek Stepan for the 7th overall.

We need to win now and make win now moves by trading an expansion protected high 1st. Just like those teams! Trouba and his 8x8 contract calls out to us like a siren at sea.

I couldnt agree more!;)

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It was a fire alarm. It went off randomly during the interview. Barkhann pretended like it was a goal horn as part of his joke. It wasn’t planned or anything. It was spontaneous.
Yeah, maybe I'm misremembering it. Could swear it was the goal horn.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
That's something that doesn't bother me personally, because the Alpha and the Omega of everything for me is and was the 1987 Flyers (and the Miracle on Ice team, which was similar in its way) - we didn't really have a "superstar" - we had top-tier guys, but we were deep at both F and D, great in goal, and we just rolled lines over people, and nearly beat an all-time dynasty playing that way. I think we can replicate that pretty closely with the group we have coming, but we have to have some sensible management, and God knows we need to have some kind of adequate coaching.
That 87 team though had a top D pair of Howe and McCrimmon. I like our young D (cept Hagg), but none of them are at that level. Having arguably the best D pair in the NHL playing half the game was huge for those teams.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CowboyDan

Jan 28, 2017
Germany
Yikes. These last two games have been brutal to watch. Gordon is not the answer, so Chuck better go out there and get a real coach.

Back to drinking beer. I need it after this shit fest.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
That 87 team though had a top D pair of Howe and McCrimmon. I like our young D (cept Hagg), but none of them are at that level. Having arguably the best D pair in the NHL playing half the game was huge for those teams.

Howe was an all-time great dman though he doesn't get the credit.
With proper management that team could have had a longer run. Clarke was handed a full roster when he took over. He did add Kjell Samuelson.
That 87 def unit was loaded - howe, mcrimmon, samuelsson, crossman, marsh.... i gues Daigneault was the 6th, i guess ok for 6th but he was more of a journeyman type.
And the Poulin/Propp/Kerr line was one of the best in the NHL.
I think there's some similarities in this team's structure but these young guys need to all take steps forward in the next couple seasons.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fortunately, next year we're in year six of the rebuild, the scrubs will be gone, the talent will be 18 players deep, and LHV will be loaded, with lots more talent in the pipeline.
So as long as Fletcher doesn't do anything really dumb, this team will continue to improve the next few years.
Just don't trade #12-14 for a 30 year old rental. Or trade Frost or Farabee. Or give away Rubtsov or O'Brien.

The worst thing about a "win now" mandate is the kids need a year to make mistakes and learn how to play the right way, this is the third youngest team in the league (26.6 years old, just behind Buffalo, and a tenth of a year behind Winnipeg) and by October may be the youngest (sans Varone, Knight, MacDonald, Gudas?).

But Gordon is really bad as a coach, he makes Hakstol and Berube look like geniuses.

It doesn't have to be Q, with a team this young, I think Keefe would be great.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In all seriousness, assuming we dont pick top 5 after the lottery, our pick will probably be in play. Most of the roster will be in play too if it means improving the team. Fletch has already said Giroux and Hart are the only Untouchables.

If those are the only untouchables then he needs to be fired

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fortunately, next year we're in year six of the rebuild, the scrubs will be gone, the talent will be 18 players deep, and LHV will be loaded, with lots more talent in the pipeline.
So as long as Fletcher doesn't do anything really dumb, this team will continue to improve the next few years.
Just don't trade #12-14 for a 30 year old rental. Or trade Frost or Farabee. Or give away Rubtsov or O'Brien.

The worst thing about a "win now" mandate is the kids need a year to make mistakes and learn how to play the right way, this is the third youngest team in the league (26.6 years old, just behind Buffalo, and a tenth of a year behind Winnipeg) and by October may be the youngest (sans Varone, Knight, MacDonald, Gudas?).

But Gordon is really bad as a coach, he makes Hakstol and Berube look like geniuses.

It doesn't have to be Q, with a team this young, I think Keefe would be great.

Gordon's roster management alone is vastly better than Hakstol's. He also doesn't forget to pull the goalie.

Again, your hypocrisy is lost on nobody. Four months ago we couldn't judge a coach with only 280 games. What changed?

Reactions: Chinatown88

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it's hard to have untouchables on the team playing this bad.
I mean it's not ALL Hagg's fault.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gordon's roster management alone is vastly better than Hakstol's. He also doesn't forget to pull the goalie.

Again, your hypocrisy is lost on nobody. Four months ago we couldn't judge a coach with only 280 games. What changed?

Your same old BS.

Gordon's player management consisted of promoting Sanheim to the 1st pair, dropping TK to the 3rd line, and remembering to put Lindblom back on the 2nd line after coaching for a month. That's the extent of it.

Oh yeah, replacing Lehtera, Weal and Weise with Varone and Knight, and MacDonald with Myers, but that's more on Fletcher.

Anyone who has watch the games the last couple months has seen a team that is more talented, yet plays worse than any team under Hakstol, sloppy exits, bad passes, hemmed in the D-zone on a consistent basis. The winning streak was completely due to better goalie play and advanced metrics prove this.

Gordon may be a friendlier, more approachable HC, but his scheme is ???, and I think the last couple weeks the player coach is being played by his players.

Today was one of the worst Flyer performances I can remember, and at home, and rested (i.e. none of the usual excuses).

Reactions: renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If those are the only untouchables then he needs to be fired

Pretty positive he only mentioned Giroux publicly. But Giroux has a full NMC so he controls the whole situation.

Honestly it rang more like a nobody is safe type of motivation ploy as they weren’t really playing that well around the time he said that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad