Prospect Info: 78th overall Marcus Hogberg (G) from Linkoping

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hope they give him the Islanders. Better putting him out there on the front end of the back to back, and not the tail end against the SC champs.

1st NHL Start is a huge game for any player.. but I think even more so for a goal tender. Very tough call. The 2nd game vs the Caps is a back to back and that certainly sounds like throwing him to the wolves, but if I had to bet , I'd bet on the Caps even if they had a healthy , rested Anderson in nets. The game against the Islanders is the most winnable ... Given that I don't have a huge amount of confidence in McKenna, I'd probably give Hogberg a chance and cross my fingers that he does better than Driedger or O'Connor.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1st NHL Start is a huge game for any player.. but I think even more so for a goal tender. Very tough call. The 2nd game vs the Caps is a back to back and that certainly sounds like throwing him to the wolves, but if I had to bet , I'd bet on the Caps even if they had a healthy , rested Anderson in nets. The game against the Islanders is the most winnable ... Given that I don't have a huge amount of confidence in McKenna, I'd probably give Hogberg a chance and cross my fingers that he does better than Driedger or O'Connor.
I thought oconnor was good in his first game. He let in a softie that was really not even that soft. He wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t a good game from someone’s first nhl game after like next to no seasoning in the AHL

Reactions: Icelevel

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Whatever the reason Hogberg got his 1st game in and it was against the Stanley Cup champs and he wasn't embarrassed. That's a plus right there. Love his size and hope he gets a few more starts so we can see what they have in him. He hasn't got a ton of NA experience but it's not like he's fresh out of college or junior either he's played against men in Europe so now we get to see how he does against NHL shooters.

Reactions: DrEasy

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Whatever the reason Hogberg got his 1st game in and it was against the Stanley Cup champs and he wasn't embarrassed. That's a plus right there. Love his size and hope he gets a few more starts so we can see what they have in him. He hasn't got a ton of NA experience but it's not like he's fresh out of college or junior either he's played against men in Europe so now we get to see how he does against NHL shooters.

With how the season is going, I think i would be inclined to keep Hogberg with the big club and try to give him almost half the start with Andy.

Gust and Mckenna in Belleville. This way, both young goalie have their vets.

Hogberg being older, i think we can assume he could make the jump soon in the NHL.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Didn't pay too much attention this game but he looks really big and is probably more technically sound than McKenna.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
He was decent enough tonight, I would start him again in the next game over McKenna.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
While Andy is out I don't mind having Hogberg play a lot of the games. It's not like McKenna is lights out or the future for that matter.

For now Hogberg is the only option with McKenna but Boucher has to play Hogberg more and after that when Andy is back things will need to be re-assessed based who is available.

The dark horse in this is Condon. Apparently it's a hip problem now so who knows when he'll be ready to come back.

Reactions: DrEasy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I was pretty worried he would get peppered but he did alright. Still needs lots of seasoning though but this wasn’t a tire fire. If the team wasn’t so depleted on defence it could have even been a win.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kid looked ok in nets!

I think he's earned another start. Play him until he has a bad night, then send him back to the AHL with the confidence that he can hang with the pros in the best league in the world, tell him to work on a few things and give him the load in Belleville for a while and see how he fares, and then let him try to win an NHL job outright in training camp in the fall.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
With how the season is going, I think i would be inclined to keep Hogberg with the big club and try to give him almost half the start with Andy.

Gust and Mckenna in Belleville. This way, both young goalie have their vets.

Hogberg being older, i think we can assume he could make the jump soon in the NHL.

At some point, Condon is going to be ready to come back, but until then, I agree, keep Hogberg up in the NHL as long as possible, and let McKenna assume his back up role in Belleville.

Hogberg looked calm, cool and collected from the beginning of the game, until the end.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Looked frustrated after the 3rd goal but then settled down and made a number of decent saves to keep the team in it. Not a bad debut.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Looked frustrated after the 3rd goal but then settled down and made a number of decent saves to keep the team in it. Not a bad debut.
Yeah. He looks really calm in the net. Even if he like f***s up controlling a rebound he doesn’t scramble it looks like e processes it really quickly and is just right away tracking the puck making sure he’s in sound position.

Reactions: Silencio

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Give him time for the way this team plays "defense" to get to him. I am not expecting him to stay calm for very long.

Certainly a very positive first outing at the NHL level. I just have a hard time seeing a goalie develop properly with how this team plays.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Give him time for the way this team plays "defense" to get to him. I am not expecting him to stay calm for very long.

Certainly a very positive first outing at the NHL level. I just have a hard time seeing a goalie develop properly with how this team plays.

Where else can a goalie face this many shots and scoring opportunities in game like situations.. This is all part of Dorion's plan.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad