GDT: #78 - Sabres vs. Islanders at 7 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
This Isles team is evidence that coaching matters.

Mediocre collection of players that is just marginally better on paper than it was a year ago.

They got a coach. They're legit.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Gee, has Botterill slammed any doors on his way out of the press box tonight?

This team is so bad right now.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I actually feel good for Lehner. I never thought he was a bad goalie coming here from Ottawa. But he just about turned into a mental case by the end of last season with his confidence totally shot.

It sure implies that the Sabres problems run far deeper than just the coaching staff.

Reactions: searoc

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I understand your pain. I felt totally embarrassed 5 weeks ago walking out of the Pepsi Center given the Sabres lack of effort.

Their play hasn't improved one iota since. Honestly, I've never seen a collapse like this one. It's been....... generational.....
I feel the same way...can this team recover from this next year? Sometimes I feel it might take more than just bringing in a new coach? I remember during the winning streak when people were saying this team is Scary Good....well now this team is Scary Bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I actually feel good for Lehner. I never thought he was a bad goalie coming here from Ottawa. But he just about turned into a mental case by the end of last season with his confidence totally shot.

It sure implies that the Sabres problems run far deeper than just the coaching staff.
Here’s where you and I disagree.

Reactions: Fearnot

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Which parts? Or all of it?
Hey Hutch Tech!
He took a boatload of cash from this organization, all the while hiding that he had plenty of issues. I’m happy he got his shit together, but I’m not a fan. At all. f*** him and his pissing and moaning about his time here.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Hey Hutch Tech!
He took a boatload of cash from this organization, all the while hiding that he had plenty of issues. I’m happy he got his **** together, but I’m not a fan. At all. **** him and his pissing and moaning about his time here.

Well West Seneca.... then we do agree about being glad he got his game back.

Which is why I used the term "happy".

He had ability before he arrived He's showing he still has ability now. Within a much better system of play where his teammates are capable and dependable.

It fell apart in between while he was with Buffalo. I felt the fans liked it when he was speaking out until he started throwing his teammates and everyone under the bus. Sounds like that's a facet of his basic (lack of) character. I guess he's still being a douche about it - blaming others, whining, etc.? If so, I would agree that he deserves no props for being a classless a-hole.

I just never felt he was the zero goaltender (ability wise) that we all made him out to be here on this board.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Gladwell talks about thinslicing. Nothing this new front office does makes me feel good about the direction of the team. Even the drafting - he's sacked most of the scouting staff that found the well-thought-of guys in '17.

I'd love it if he picked up some UDFA's this spring for team depth and to definitely help the Amerks next year.

When you step back from the whole picture and just take in the totality of the franchise for the last two years...

It's difficult to ignore the many red flag choices, even while disregarding the results. I find it really difficult to deal with Dahlin. He is the best defenseman I have ever seen at his age, and he screams a kid who will be so much more.

But if I pull myself away from the personal enjoyment, we are a much more likely lotto ball away from Zadina/Tkachuk or Svech, and while those are nice players this team is already dead last this year if we switched them for Dahlin.

And what does that say about Botts? Do I really need to convince myself that he is a stealth tanker and all of sudden he won't make bad choices.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

The Lehner we are seeing in NYI is worth the 1st round pick in 2015 just for the contract control alone.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When you step back from the whole picture and just take in the totality of the franchise for the last two years...

It's difficult to ignore the many red flag choices, even while disregarding the results. I find it really difficult to deal with Dahlin. He is the best defenseman I have ever seen at his age, and he screams a kid who will be so much more.

But if I pull myself away from the personal enjoyment, we are a much more likely lotto ball away from Zadina/Tkachuk or Svech, and while those are nice players this team is already dead last this year if we switched them for Dahlin.

And what does that say about Botts? Do I really need to convince myself that he is a stealth tanker and all of sudden he won't make bad choices.

He's not a stealth tanker, he's just bad at his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad