GDT: #78: FLYERS at Hurricanes, Saturday, Mar. 30, 2019, 1:30 p.m. ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
BuT hE hAd A tUrNoVeR
No joke, LITERALLY five minutes into the game Provorov had an equally as bad turnover. Passed it directly to a Cane alone in the slot.

Only difference is they didn’t score and there was absolutely zero punishment.

And do you see anyone freaking out or going on about Provorovs turnovers? Nope. Not a peep. It’s all about stereotypes and double standards.

Ghost screws up? Benched for the rest of the game.
Provorov screws up 5 minutes into game? 23 min TOI.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Honestly, the crazy thing about that is you have someone 1 game removed from 2 years of basically no playing time due to injuries play a full game.

Even crazier is that Morin player almost every shift with the Varone and Laughton Line. Hagg has highest TOI with T6 forwards.

Going into a game like this to assume Morin would be complete and mistake free is nonsense. We saw it all game. He still needs to get comfortable. He’s not even playing that physically right now.

This is a really weird and ill-advises attempt to dismiss a player 30 some ****ing minutes back playing. Also, the Hagg stats are bad for getting a bunch of time with the T6/1st line.
I'm not dismissing Morin at all. I'm only referring to those who said it was idiotic to play Hagg over Morin in must-win games during the last month when they still had a not-insignificant chance to make the playoffs, and that Morin could step right in after major surgery and basically 2 missed seasons and be an improvement in the possession game over Hagg. That's all. My WHOLE POINT was that you COULDN'T assume Morin could just step in and be an improvement over anyone who had been playing the last two seasons.

Oh, and Morin didn't play the majority of his time with Varone. He played the most with the Hartman-Laughton-Konecny line, a line most were raving about entering this game.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'd argued we'd be an even worse position if they keep Gordon.

It would mean that Fletcher is equally as bad with coaching as Hextall, while also being worse at drafting/trading.

Organizationally, yes. I meant in terms of the team and their performance. Ship set sailed on being a worse drafting team the second Pryor was fired, I’m assuming.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Organizationally, yes. I meant in terms of the team and their performance. Ship set sailed on being a worse drafting team the second Pryor was fired, I’m assuming.
Which is scary because drafting was the one thing we really had going for us as an organization.

And yeah, Gordon is like Hakstols brother. Slightly different in what aspects they screw up, but still roughly equal in quality.

For example...
Hakstols offensive zone "stick to the perimeter" system was worse
Gordons defensive "bank or lob it out" puck moving system is worse
Hakstol used Sanheim and Lindblom too little
Gordon uses Ghost and TK too little
Under Hakstol the PK was worse
Under Gordon the PP got worse
and so on...

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Potential to be a top 4 team in the east with Carter Hart

Not even a playoff team with current coach

The East really isn’t that great currently either and, in either conference, making the last WC is pretty easy. We were briefly the worst team in the league halfway through the season and still ended up close to it.

This team handicaps themselves to the point of being a shit lottery team yet have too much talent and pride to just bottom out, tank, or bottom feed. I look forward to potentially drafting the next Jay O’ Brien as our reward for this clusterf*** of a season.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
we look slower than other teams because our players are often standing still to often, hard to say break out when you're starting from being stationary and the opposition was already in motion and catches up to you

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I'm not dismissing Morin at all. I'm only referring to those who said it was idiotic to play Hagg over Morin in must-win games during the last month when they still had a not-insignificant chance to make the playoffs, and that Morin could step right in after major surgery and basically 2 missed seasons and be an improvement in the possession game over Hagg. That's all. My WHOLE POINT was that you COULDN'T assume Morin could just step in and be an improvement over anyone who had been playing the last two seasons.

Oh, and Morin didn't play the majority of his time with Varone. He played the most with the Hartman-Laughton-Konecny line, a line most were raving about entering this game.
Oh, but in all honesty, these games weren’t must win. Even going back 3-5 games. Sure the playoffs would’ve been great, but this team just isn’t ready.

This is the PERFECT time to see WHO FITS and WHO DOESNT. Do we really think our 4th Line next year is X - Knight - Varone/Bailey? We’ve had beat writers, management, and even players saying we need more out of the team and the B6. The flyers have been notorious for having a horrible 4th Line. I really don’t understand why we don’t try some players out who are in our future plans: NAK, Twarynski, or someone of the sorts. They don’t need to be NHL ready now. Not even come next year, however, this would be the PERFECT time to get a look to see where they’re at and maybe when they could have an impact.

Again... look at teams like PIT and TBL. Who would’ve ever thought Dominik Simon or Frederick Tiffles would make the NHL? They lost some depth, but didn’t go to their vets because they wanted to see if they could get something different. Same thing happened with Brian Rust. Rust and Simon have worked out.

This is the case with Morin. We want to see what we have in Morin. We also know what we have in Hagg. It’s the least impressive toolset given all of our players. He’s least likely to make an impact. Given that it’s been 16K+ days since a cup- something better change.

Reactions: Nizzle

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I agree that we need a player like Voracek, but it would be nice to have him all season. Today he was invisible again.

Voracek is 29. He's in his prime. Brad Marchand shouldn't be a better player than him at this point.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I agree that we need a player like Voracek, but it would be nice to have him all season. Today he was invisible again.

Voracek is 29. He's in his prime. Brad Marchand shouldn't be a better player than him at this point.

Kinda weird statement, don't know what Marchand has to do with Voracek.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Kinda weird statement, don't know what Marchand has to do with Voracek.
I think Voracek is more talented than Marchand. Yet Marchand is the better player.

He was just an example. There are probably numerous players that shouldn't be better than Voracek.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
5 teams from the East bounced in round 1? Cant wait for that lol
I hope Pittsburgh and Boston get destroyed in round 1
Canes 1
Leafs 2
Isles 3
Habs/BJs 4 (one won’t make the playoffs)

As much as I hate the Bruins, I hate Leaf fans more. I despise the Pens, but sadly I can’t see them losing to Carolina or the Isles.

Reactions: Domino666

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Canes 1
Leafs 2
Isles 3
Habs/BJs 4 (one won’t make the playoffs)

As much as I hate the Bruins, I hate Leaf fans more. I despise the Pens, but sadly I can’t see them losing to Carolina or the Isles.
Bruins/Leafs is probably going to be a close series. It always is.
Pens/Isles could be close, too.

The other two series may not even make it to 5 games.

Reactions: BiggE

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Voracek is more talented than Marchand. Yet Marchand is the better player.

He was just an example. There are probably numerous players that shouldn't be better than Voracek.

Why shouldn't he be better? He's just a great player. Voracek is also a great player, not quite as dangerous but pretty unique/valuable. Voracek's been a great Flyer, and he's worth his contract.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Every team says this about their star players. Nobody is great every night.

I’ve literally read the same posts about McDavid and Crosby.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Voracek should be better than a 100 point top 5 point producer. Because he’s not, that’s a red flag.

Talk about not appreciating what you have for what it is. He’s a very good imperfect player, like plenty others. What a ridiculous arbitrary standard. He’s not better than Marchand. Like all of 10-15 players are. Just find another Marchand!

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
we look slower than other teams because our players are often standing still to often, hard to say break out when you're starting from being stationary and the opposition was already in motion and catches up to you

And we have a winner!

tenor.gif

While I'd love to see a bit more speed at wing, when your usual breakout system is to stand around and watch the dmen try to escape their own end, or airmail 80 foot bombs, it's hard to look super speedy.

Can you imagine what Q could do with this bunch, plus Frost and Farabee?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Oh, but in all honesty, these games weren’t must win. Even going back 3-5 games. Sure the playoffs would’ve been great, but this team just isn’t ready.

This is the PERFECT time to see WHO FITS and WHO DOESNT. Do we really think our 4th Line next year is X - Knight - Varone/Bailey? We’ve had beat writers, management, and even players saying we need more out of the team and the B6. The flyers have been notorious for having a horrible 4th Line. I really don’t understand why we don’t try some players out who are in our future plans: NAK, Twarynski, or someone of the sorts. They don’t need to be NHL ready now. Not even come next year, however, this would be the PERFECT time to get a look to see where they’re at and maybe when they could have an impact.

Again... look at teams like PIT and TBL. Who would’ve ever thought Dominik Simon or Frederick Tiffles would make the NHL? They lost some depth, but didn’t go to their vets because they wanted to see if they could get something different. Same thing happened with Brian Rust. Rust and Simon have worked out.

This is the case with Morin. We want to see what we have in Morin. We also know what we have in Hagg. It’s the least impressive toolset given all of our players. He’s least likely to make an impact. Given that it’s been 16K+ days since a cup- something better change.

I'm glad Morin played. I agree these last 5 games (including this one) are the perfect time to give guys a look and try different things. I couldn't care less if they bench Hagg or if he ever plays another game for the Flyers. I've said that for 2 years. But you had people clamoring for Morin the second he got called up to play over Hagg in what were absolutely must-win games, saying it's a foregone conclusion that Morin would be an improvement over Hagg's "caved possession" even though Morin was coming off major surgery and basically 2 missed seasons, and I just don't think anyone should blame the coach for not playing Morin until the playoffs were basically a mathematical impossibility.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Voracek should be better than a 100 point top 5 point producer. Because he’s not, that’s a red flag.

Talk about not appreciating what you have for what it is. He’s a very good imperfect player, like plenty others. What a ridiculous arbitrary standard. He’s not better than Marchand. Like all of 10-15 players are. Just find another Marchand!
Yup, I mean Giroux should just grow 5 inches and become Mario Lemieux, what a disappointment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad