Post-Game Talk: #77: Senators at Flyers, Saturday, April 2, 2016

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
He's a better player in LA.

I think he is a more complete player in LA. I simply call it maturity. Also playing for Suter will do that to you as well. For those comparing simmond / carter, one thing is that carter has elite speed and an elite wrist shot (when its on net). As someone else mentioned, Carter is a treat to watch now in LA. He plays a 180 foot game.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I think he is a more complete player in LA. I simply call it maturity. Also playing for Suter will do that to you as well. For those comparing simmond / carter, one thing is that carter has elite speed and an elite wrist shot (when its on net). As someone else mentioned, Carter is a treat to watch now in LA. He plays a 180 foot game.

Which 20 feet of the ice is Carter avoiding in LA? :sarcasm:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think you can ignore the system changes & the different usage Carter has had from here to there. Carter was asked to be more of a goal scorer here in his later years in Lavi's up tempo offensive system opposed to Sutter's conservative system where they're willing to sacrifice some offense for defense.

The Flyers usually had enough good defensive forwards that they don't need to ask a whole lot defensively from Carter. He still PK'd & played some defensive situations & would generally look good doing so.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Read and Cousins have been awesome.
They're quietly having a great season since Cousins joined that line. Not scoring many goals, but doing all the little things and you never notice them in a negative way.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
I didn't question starting Mason today. I questioned starting a guy making his NHL debut against the hottest team in the league on the road tomorrow, versus going back to Mason like they did last week. Thanks for the snarky reply though!

I didn't find that snarky in the least bit. Guy was just giving his opinion on why he felt Mase started today.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah, he was playing like that in Philly too. Really the main difference is that he can hit a one timer now.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
White blocked a shot yetserday and was pretty hobbled it would make sense to give him a night off

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gagner isn't small, he just played small most of his career. He's finally got the message that if you're not a great scorer (i.e. ppg type) you'd better do the little things if you want to dress. He's not Raffl along the boards (so underrated because it ain't sexy to fight to keep the puck in the O-zone so more skilled players can score) but he's much improved in terms of his fight and energy going after the puck.

If you want to know why Laughton is sitting, just watch Cousins in action. Laughton is bigger and faster, but as a center just wanted to skate end to end, Cousins has a feel for the game, knows where the opposing players are and dekes around and finds his linemates. Cousins also has grit, despite his size he won't back down from anyone (which is why he needs a mean winger on one side to protect him).

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Went to the game yesterday on a last minute decision.

Raffl played well, G was out of sinc. Jake is still struggling.

Ryan White and VdV suck. I think that sums it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad