NBA 76ers fire Brett Brown

Sep 19, 2008
He was a bad coach who never did anything with a bad roster, and when he got a good roster the best he could muster is a 2nd round flameout (albeit to the Raptors and albeit in 7 games)

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
While Brown shoulders the blame. The organization has much deeper issues to resolve before they can take the next step.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
After this long, I don’t know if he can coach, but Brett Brown for a number of years was the only credible person in the entire organization, so I got nothing bad to say about him. He came here when no one else wanted to nor should have wanted to. Hope he gets another head job.

Reactions: Jack Straw

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
After this long, I don’t know if he can coach, but Brett Brown for a number of years was the only credible person in the entire organization, so I got nothing bad to say about him. He came here when no one else wanted to nor should have wanted to. Hope he gets another head job.
Me too.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

He'll definitely get another job. He's a good coach but with a few exceptions, every head coach has an expiration date and he reached his. He was given an impossible task from the start but he had those terrible teams in the early days playing the right way and he had them playing hard. I wish him nothing but the best.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
He'll definitely get another job. He's a good coach but with a few exceptions, every head coach has an expiration date and he reached his. He was given an impossible task from the start but he had those terrible teams in the early days playing the right way and he had them playing hard. I wish him nothing but the best.
All the slander should be reserved for the grifters, Jerry and Bryan Colangelo.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
They should hire Mark Jackson so I don't have to hear him on TV anymore.
and Jeff van Gundy can be the bench coach.

Such a dumb move. Build a team that can't win and get locked into 4 100M contracts for another year, fire a good coach with a year left, and pay 2 coaches when a possible re-tool is a year away.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
What made him a good coach?

He was given a team in a bad situation. They tanked for many years for "The Process". After lucking into multiple high lottery picks they made the playoffs and couldn't get past the second round. Their best effort was losing to the Raptors last year on a buzzer beater.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
What made him a good coach?

He was given a team in a bad situation. They tanked for many years for "The Process". After lucking into multiple high lottery picks they made the playoffs and couldn't get past the second round. Their best effort was losing to the Raptors last year on a buzzer beater.

What I said in my previous post. He had a D-League level team playing good basketball, good ball movement on offense and tough defense. They just lacked talented players. He did not do a good job getting the most from Simmons and Embiid, and that's where he failed. That doesn't mean he's not a good coach. He'll get another head coaching job in the NBA, not even a question. And he'll probably do better the next time around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The team is stuck with the same roster for at least another 2 years. Embiid is good when healthy, but the rest of the roster is nothing special. Nevermind that God awful Horford contract.

I give Brown credit for dealing with some of the worst teams in NBA history. Had to be hard showing up everyday knowing management just wants you to lose your next game and winning games is taboo.

All the slander should be reserved for the grifters, Jerry and Bryan Colangelo.

Jerry Colangelo brought much needed respect to the organization. Hinkies tank job got so bad that Silver had to force Harris into hiring a well-respected individual to run the show. IIRC, some player agents stopped answering Hinkies calls and advised their clients against signing there.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Jerry Colangelo brought much needed respect to the organization. Hinkies tank job got so bad that Silver had to force Harris into hiring a well-respected individual to run the show. IIRC, some player agents stopped answering Hinkies calls and advised their clients against signing there.

No he didn't. All he did was hire his worthless son who ruined the Sixers.

Like, I get why NBA wanted Hinkie out but you don't pressure a team to hire someone specific.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No he didn't. All he did was hire his worthless son who ruined the Sixers.

Like, I get why NBA wanted Hinkie out but you don't pressure a team to hire someone specific.

He brought some sort of respectability back to the team after it had been a joke for years. Also I don't see how B Colangelo ruined the Sixers. Obviously Fultz didnt work out but he was the favorite to go #1 so not exactly a bad move at the time.

The Sixers didnt leave Silver much of a choice. They clearly weren't interested in hiring any good executives, and most veteran GMs probably didn't want to be part of the tank job. Colangelo is one of the most respected figures in basketball and was a great pick, especially since he was some what of a neutral figure. I remember reading that his USA Basketball connections was a big reason why Silver went with him.

Also, I could be mistaken but I believe it was a few of the owners who geared the Sixers towards Colangelo (as well as Silver).

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
He brought some sort of respectability back to the team after it had been a joke for years. Also I don't see how B Colangelo ruined the Sixers. Obviously Fultz didnt work out but he was the favorite to go #1 so not exactly a bad move at the time.

The Sixers didnt leave Silver much of a choice. They clearly weren't interested in hiring any good executives, and most veteran GMs probably didn't want to be part of the tank job. Colangelo is one of the most respected figures in basketball and was a great pick, especially since he was some what of a neutral figure. I remember reading that his USA Basketball connections was a big reason why Silver went with him.

Also, I could be mistaken but I believe it was a few of the owners who geared the Sixers towards Colangelo (as well as Silver).
they did have a good executive. Sam Hinkie. They forced him out because he played by the rules given to him.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They should hire Mark Jackson so I don't have to hear him on TV anymore.

I think Mark Jackson is blackballed from getting another head coaching job, although he’s great on tv.

Apparently when in Golden State when Steph Curry had his ankle problems he told him to ‘find a higher power’ in the cure for it. Whatever that means..

Reactions: Del Preston

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think Mark Jackson is blackballed from getting another head coaching job, although he’s great on tv.

Apparently when in Golden State when Steph Curry had his ankle problems he told him to ‘find a higher power’ in the cure for it. Whatever that means..

Its is ironic for that guy to tweet that at Karl, who I believe has had some hefty criticism from some of his players?

I think Melo had some strong words about him a few years ago?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Wowwww at Karl's third question. That's great.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Everyone trashes "The Process" because of the current state of the Sixers, but ignore the fact that the architect of it was practically forced out and never allowed to finish. Adam Silver sabotaged the Sixers by forcing the Colangelo's on them, like they were the first team to ever tank. Josh Harris is to blame top for both allowing Silver to do that and then hiring a not-yet-qualified Brand after the younger Colangelo's tenure went down in Flames.

As for Brown, the time had come. Terrible late game coach, and Brad Stevens has made him his bitch now twice in the playoffs. He's also partially responsible for Butler leaving. I think his leash was as long as it was to begin with because he endured the process years.

I had no problem with the Butler and Harris trades last year. It's the Horford contract, the Harris overpayment and not acquiring any semblance of shooting that did this team in. He built a team for the early 90s.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad