76ers exploring the possibility of a new arena in Philly

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Dumb. Well Fargo is one of the better arenas I've been to, and the "sports complex" right at the juncture of I-95 and I-76 is a great set-up for Philadelphia sports teams. Having the 76ers move away from this would be a poor choice.

Obtaining suitable parking area in Penn's Landing would be an absolute nightmare. Plus the traffic in/out the arena would likely require an expansion to the exit/entry ramps to I-95 there, which if the I-95 lane expansion in Port Richmond is any indication, would be a 10+ year project. Penn's Landing almost certainly does not qualify for the intentions of a NIZ, either. Neighborhood Improvement Zones are intended for impoverished neighborhoods, not yuppie tourist locations and commercial hubs.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Dumb. Well Fargo is one of the better arenas I've been to, and the "sports complex" right at the juncture of I-95 and I-76 is a great set-up for Philadelphia sports teams. Having the 76ers move away from this would be a poor choice.

Obtaining suitable parking area in Penn's Landing would be an absolute nightmare. Plus the traffic in/out the arena would likely require an expansion to the exit/entry ramps to I-95 there, which if the I-95 lane expansion in Port Richmond is any indication, would be a 10+ year project. Penn's Landing almost certainly does not qualify for the intentions of a NIZ, either. Neighborhood Improvement Zones are intended for impoverished neighborhoods, not yuppie tourist locations and commercial hubs.
What is the SEPTA situation like? Any train stations nearby?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
What exactly about their arena situation is unfavorable?
I could be off on this but i am pretty sure the 76ers pay a fixed amount of rent to the flyers ownership (comcast) every year and do not get a cut of the arena's sponsorship money. There are other arena situations that are far more favorable such as the Celtics deal with the Bruins and Delaware north and the Pistons deal with the Red Wings and the Ilitch family.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
They're targeting opening in 2031 when their lease at Wells Fargo expires. Funding would come from from public dollars via the local NIZ program.

I think it will be hard to justify public funds for a second arena in the city especially with the current one being private. Doubt Comcast would be thrilled about a competing venue so close too.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
No new 76ers arena at Penn's Landing happening.

Delaware River Waterfront Corporation does not choose 76ers for Penn's Landing project

DRWC goes ahead with a development by the Durst Organization instead.

Statement from the 76ers

We were proud to put forward a proposal for Penn's Landing centered around equitable economic development and growth. Our project aimed to be part of the solution while delivering a world-class experience for our fans and the city at large. We are grateful to the DRWC for their dedication and commitment to this process, especially through an extraordinarily difficult time for the City of Philadelphia.

As we continue to pursue our future home, we remain committed to a vision that anchors a world-class venue with transformative community development, job creation and economic empowerment for low income and minority communities.

I didn't seem the like the mayor was in favour for the arena plan and I wouldn't blame him. It looked like a terrible proposal for the city. Put public money into an arena when they already have one built with private funds. Comcast would lose a tenant and have a competing building for other events. A lose-lose where the only winners would have been Harris & Blitzer.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Do they really think build an arena in Camden is a good idea?

Camden already has a very nice aquarium, decent music venue and quality university. Adding a stadium would be great for Camden and its residents. It would be a good economic boost in a city that needs it. However, I understand the concern and it's reasonable to think a move there would be a slow burn, with most of the benefits coming far down the road rather than right away.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Build a new arena at the complex.
Why would the state or the city chip in money toward building a new arena at the sports complex? There isn't going to be any increase in economic activity vs what they have currently. The only advantage would be to avoid losing the Sixers games to NJ if the team would potentially move to Camden. The flip side of that is the WF Arena would be able to host more concerts and other event without the Sixers taking up 40ish dates per year. Of course the new Sixers arena in Camden would compete for events too, but in a city the size of Philly there are probably enough events (post covid) to support two arenas anyway.

The only reason the Penn's Landing thing was considered is because there is already a tax zone there for development, and they got turned down for that. New construction at the Sports Complex would require a new funding source. With the state and city facing huge deficits this year, and probably for a couple years to come, I can't see any appetite for new government funding - especially without knowing for sure when the arena could even host events once it opens.

I think the Sixers are going to have to put the idea of a new arena on the back burner for a few years and work something out with the Flyers/Comcast for a new lease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad