GDT: #76: FLYERS at Capitals, Sunday, March 24, 2019, 12:30 p.m. ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I would have liked to see someone offer him out or at least blast him with a big hit after he took huge runs at Giroux, Ghost, and Raffl on back-to-back-to-back shifts. A half-assed glove to the face while passing by Laughton wasn't enough in my opinion.

So you missed Laughton crosschecking him in the face?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So you missed Laughton crosschecking him in the face?

No I watched Laughton attempt to crosscheck him and hit him with his glove with a passing glance that Oshie tried to blow up into something larger to draw a penalty. A crosscheck to the face isn't actually the response you want anyway, since you usually end up shorthanded. A heavy clean hit or someone offering him out and beating his ass would be preferable. At the end of the day, it's not that important, but it just bothered me.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Both of the scenarios I would have liked to see happen would not have left us shorthanded and may have even resulted in a momentum swing back our way.
Dude... we get shorthanded for opponents high sticking their own players... there's nothing they wont get us for and all this does is increase their chances to f*** us. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No I watched Laughton attempt to crosscheck him and hit him with his glove with a passing glance that Oshie tried to blow up into something larger to draw a penalty. A crosscheck to the face isn't actually the response you want anyway, since you usually end up shorthanded. A heavy clean hit or someone offering him out and beating his ass would be preferable. At the end of the day, it's not that important, but it just bothered me.

He caught him on the jaw with the shaft of his stick. These are NHL players anyway, they don't fear any retaliation.

When has hitting and fighting ever prevented a thing? Having Simmonds and Rinaldo never stopped the parade of Malkin cheap shots. If anything it made them more common because he got angry. Having Lindros didn't even protect the team.

Running around like morons over a clean hit makes winning harder.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Probably true.
And just to clarify, I'm not against physical players or physical play or getting revenge at all. For example, I miss old Gudas so bad and want him back...

I'm just saying I think these kinds of actions would hurt us way more than help us. The refs are f***ing idiots and giving them any chance to screw us will 100% be taken advantage of.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
You're rendering the word choke meaningless.
To each his own.

Posted this last week:
12-13: 3rd worst team in the league with 15 games remaining. Go 10-5-0 to end the season.
End up drafting 11th.

13-14: Worst start in franchise history losing 7 of their 1st 8 games and 11 of their first 14.
Make the playoffs on the back of miraculous late season heroics by Giroux/Mason/Couts/Schenn (lol).
Lose to eventual conference champs (NYR) in heartbreaking 7 game series as 8th seed.

14-15: Another garbage start (8-13-4). 13!!!! regulation losses thru first 25 games. This time they dont recover.
Reluctant semi-tank down the stretch nets us Provorov at 7th.

15-16: Lackluster start (6-9-5) offset by more Giroux/Mason heroics helped by Neuvirth and young Ghost.
Grab 8th seed again only to get slaughtered by the Caps.

16-17: 10 game win streak buoys their "best" start in years (9-8-3)....
and then is immediately followed by a stretch of 12 losses out of fifteen (3-9-3).
No playoffs yet somehow they reverse-tank (7-3-2) grabbing 16 of a possible 24 points down the stretch which due to pure lottery luck nets us Patrick @ 2nd overall.

17-18: 10 game losing streak followed by awesome stretch (26-8-2) only to get clobbered by the Pens as the 6th seed.

18-19: 2nd worst team in the league at the half way point (15-22-6). Are briefly the worst team in the league in mid-January. Jack/Kakk well in reach. Then go off (18-6-2) only to still miss because too little too late.

What conclusions can we draw?
****I have to think the people wanting playoffs and not a tank and purge to really get to the bottom of the problem are simply gluttons for punishment.

What talent? After they traded Schenn, they had Giroux, Voracek and Couts.
Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, TK have been works in progress.
Patrick just showed up last year, Lindblom at the end of last year, JVR this fall, Hart and Myers this spring.

Talent, especially depth and experience on defense, has been the issue for 7 years.
The Blackhawks had Kane, Toews, Keith and collapsed under Q when the depth deteriorated as players aged and the goalies went south.
A few stars can't carry a team, you need a TEAM.
Look at the runs we've gone on in recent years, despite the worst coaches imaginable.
We've had the top end talent to go with almost any team. Its depth and scheme that hurt them yes but also consistency.
I never expected Giroux-Voracek-Couts to win a Cup by themselves.

When you continually stumble out the gate and the problem spans 4 different coaches i think the mediocrity of this whole era needs to be shouldered by the coaches yes but also Hextall, Homer, and the core itself

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers had better things to worry about then getting back at Oshie. A retaliatory hit likely ends up in a 5 minute PP for the Caps and all but ended the game. Sure they lost anyway. But players don’t forget if they felt they were run at.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
From now on, if you're going to make a claim that we need to sign or aquire X, please give specific options that are attainable and make sense.

Just throwing out a nameless proposition, and claiming it would be better than going with one of the very best prospects in all of hockey, just comes across short-sighted and mindless.

I understand frustration and wanting to win this very second, but most teams would be falling over each other to be in our situation for the foreseeable future at center.

Anyway, ignore list.

Yeah why go after Panarin, Duchene, or Karlsson that would be so stupid lol such horrible players

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
He caught him on the jaw with the shaft of his stick. These are NHL players anyway, they don't fear any retaliation.

When has hitting and fighting ever prevented a thing? Having Simmonds and Rinaldo never stopped the parade of Malkin cheap shots. If anything it made them more common because he got angry. Having Lindros didn't even protect the team.

Running around like morons over a clean hit makes winning harder.

thats what i remember aswell, he hit him pretty good, enuf so we woulda been mad if the roles were reversed...

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah why go after Panarin, Duchene, or Karlsson that would be so stupid lol such horrible players

I doubt Duchene will be worth the money, he's one of those players who seems to be less than the sum of his numbers, but is like to get overpaid, to me he's an average 2C who can score but is meh defensively and I don't get the impression he raises the game of his teammates.

EK is a great player, but I have to have that ankle thoroughly examined before I give him 7 years, that was a bad injury. And he's not coming here.

Panarin would be worth adding, but I think the Flyers have to get in line.

Given the Flyers will have 3 solid lines if Farabee and Frost make the team, and could have an excellent 4t line with Laughton, Hartman and a veteran center, not sure they need to add forwards other than a 4C - depends on whether they think the two rookies can handle a sheltered role.

Reactions: Flyrs21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad