GDT: #76: FLYERS at Capitals, Sunday, March 24, 2019, 12:30 p.m. ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
This is my issue with our future team. We have no physicality at all up front and despite what some on here think, it matters.

It does matter. When they last faced the Caps in the playoffs, it showed. Even Colin McDonald was one of their most effective players.

Reactions: renberg

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Also, look at this idiot calling out SANHEIM of all people....

NOT HAGG OR GUDAS! Sanheim.

At a risk of becoming unpopular on this site really fast, I would like to disagree with you and many others here.

First of all calling Meltzer an idiot is uncalled for, in my opinion his knowledge of hockey in general and Flyers in particular is unparalleled.

Secondly, Bill knows that Hagg is who Hagg is. But when you see someone with high expectations struggling, you become instantly concerned. Something along Spiderman line: "With great power....".

I would like to conclude with Fred Shero's: “To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”. Sanheim, as well as any other player is a subject to criticism. All he needs to do is learn and grow.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
At a risk of becoming unpopular on this site really fast, I would like to disagree with you and many others here.

First of all calling Meltzer an idiot is uncalled for, in my opinion his knowledge of hockey in general and Flyers in particular is unparalleled.

Secondly, Bill knows that Hagg is who Hagg is. But when you see someone with high expectations struggling, you become instantly concerned. Something along Spiderman line: "With great power....".

I would like to conclude with Fred Shero's: “To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”. Sanheim, as well as any other player is a subject to criticism. All he needs to do is learn and grow.

Meltzer isn’t and has never been an idiot, but he’s 100% a shill now. Which is worse to me because at least an idiot is genuine and unbiased in comparison.

Even if you think Sanheim is struggling, it doesn’t make sense to single him out in a season littered with pure trash depth and defined by abjectly awful coaching.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Which young players have we not given a chance to this year? Sanheim has had playing time all year, eleveated under wilson/Gordon of course but it's not like Hak refused to play him. Provy has gotten top line minutes, Konecny has received fair minutes, Lindblom ditto, Patrick ditto. I mean unless Phil Myers was the missing link??? That really wouldnt have changed much as far as team success goes.

The point is, we assumed Provy was going to come in and prove himself as a bonafide #1, he hasnt. Patrick has been the up and down player he was last year, with slightly more ups. Konecny is a good offensive player, nothing too special but he is good. Lindblom is solid, nothing special but solid. Sanheim has made bigger strides, hes probably been the best D man on the team.

Point is, we need more proven talent. Whether it be Karlsson, Duchene, Panarin, or someone we pick up in a trade. This team has young talent, but we need more than this.

Konecny and Lindblom have received fair minutes all year? What team have you been watching?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Meltzer isn’t and has never been an idiot, but he’s 100% a shill now. Which is worse to me because at least an idiot is genuine and unbiased in comparison.

Even if you think Sanheim is struggling, it doesn’t make sense to single him out in a season littered with pure trash depth and defined by abjectly awful coaching.

Really?
If you read his blog he is pretty equally calls people out.
I am ok with your disagreement with him, what I am not ok is with dragging him over the coal for his opinion

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I dont care if we make the playoffs, that isnt the point. We had almost no chance to do anything in 14, we had absolutely no chance of doing anything in 16, and BIG SHOCKER, we didnt do **** in 2018 either. If we stay the course, the same will happen in 2020.

Duchenne is just one name we could go after. If our prime concern at this point is a CHL player being "blocked", then that's a losing mentality. If it is, then we may as well just trade Giroux, Jake, JVR and the gang and start from scratch.
Except we're not "staying the course", we're changing the teams biggest issue which is what caused them to miss the playoffs these three years... which was coaching.

It wasn't the roster, it wasn't the amount of proven talent, it wasn't that we had a bunch of kids on the team... it was that the talent we had was horribly misused and the real quality of the roster was hidden beneath a thick layer of incompetence.

The real losing mentality is being too scared to do what needs to be done, which is to act like we have some balls and trust the kids we've got. You're literally suggesting we continue to do exactly what's made us miss the playoffs under Hakstol. It's 2019... time to get with the rest of the league and understand what matters. Trading our vets would be stupid, overpaying for a FA would be stupid, and blocking an elite prospect would be stupid. Fletcher needs to understand that or we're f***ed.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He's a complete shill and defends the garbage players, coaching staff, and team, even when it requires him to say stupid shit.

People can continue to blow smoke up his ass because of what he apparently used to be, but right now he's not a useful source of information and his word isn't worth respecting.

He can recite decades old facts about the team? Cool. I couldn't care less about the past, I care about the present. And in present day, someone who's regularly defending trash and then somehow singles out Sanheim after tonights game isn't someone who seems to get what's going on right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
He's a complete shill and defends the garbage players, coaching staff, and team, even when it requires him to say stupid ****.

People can continue to blow smoke up his ass because of what he apparently used to be, but right now he's not a useful source of information and his word isn't worth respecting.

I will agree to disagree with you not only in context of your argument, but also in a form you are presenting it.

Frankly, between Meltzer's hockey expertise and yours, I will choose Bill's

Last edited by a moderator:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I will agree to disagree with you not only in context of your argument, but also in a form you are presenting it.

Frankly, between Meltzer's hockey expertise and yours, I will choose Bill's
That's fine, you don't have to agree with me or listen to anything I say.

Just like I won't waste my time with someone dumb enough to defend trash players and trash coaches just because he's employed by the team and knows some irrelevant trivia.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

Just like I won't waste my time with someone dumb enough to defend trash players and trash coaches just because he's employed by the team and knows some irrelevant trivia.
Ok

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Konecny and Lindblom have received fair minutes all year? What team have you been watching?

They have for most of the year. I agree if they were used more in the beginning wed be better off, maybe even a playoff team, but it wouldnt have made us contenders

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
They have for most of the year. I agree if they were used more in the beginning wed be better off, maybe even a playoff team, but it wouldnt have made us contenders

In the beginning? Lindblom semi-regularly gets 14 minutes a game under Gordon and Konecny regularly does. Exactly like under Hakstol. They both had less than 15 against Washington literally less than 24 hours ago.

Again, I don’t know what team you’ve been watching.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Really?
If you read his blog he is pretty equally calls people out.
I am ok with your disagreement with him, what I am not ok is with dragging him over the coal for his opinion

There’s a very noticeable difference in his willingness to call out or negatively criticize the organization ever since he started doing work for them. No real point in arguing about it, I’m far from the only person to notice it and you seem to feel a need to defend him.

Reactions: Philly Phish

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016

When did I defend trash coaches and trash players though
Except we're not "staying the course", we're changing the teams biggest issue which cased them to miss the playoffs these three years... which was coaching.

It wasn't the roster, it wasn't the amount of proven talent, it wasn't that we had a bunch of kids on the team... it was that the talent we had was horribly misused and the real quality of the roster was hidden beneath a thick layer of incompetence.

The real losing mentality is being too scared to do what needs to be done, which is to act like we have some balls and trust the kids we've got. You're literally suggesting we continue to do exactly what's made us miss the playoffs under Hakstol. It's 2019... time to get with the rest of the league and understand what matters. Trading our vets would be stupid, overpaying for a FA would be stupid, and blocking an elite prospect would be stupid. Fletcher needs to understand that or we're ****ed.

I was never a Hakstol guy, but he was never given all that great of a roster. I dont care how good our coaching was, we werent beating Washington or Pittsburgh, possibly New York in 2014 but that was years ago. Our problem was never having a legit #1 D man or at least 2 centers who could put the puck in the net.

Coots is great, no debate there.

Nolan Patrick? Maybe, but so far his play has been too erratic to be relied on as a #2 center for me. And if you give him good linemates and play him in the third spot, he'll still develop at a good clip. This isnt EA NHL where potentials grow/drop just based on their spot in the line up. If he plays against easier competition his confidence can grow, which again creates match up problems for other teams.

Which is always our achilles heal, opposing teams know we dont have enough firepower so we have to try and adjust our play to them, and not them to us.

A new coach will help no matter what but if we cant get a #1D in the off season, then a legit #1-2 C should be the priority.

EDIT: Just realized he first quote wasnt at me lol

Last edited:

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
In the beginning? Lindblom semi-regularly gets 14 minutes a game under Gordon and Konecny regularly does. Exactly like under Hakstol. They both had less than 15 against Washington literally less than 24 hours ago.

Again, I don’t know what team you’ve been watching.

Let's remember that Oscar Lindblom went through a stretch where he was doing almost nothing right, it wasn't as if he was earning the 17 minutes we all want him to get. He's started to play better, and now he's earning more playing time as a result.

Konecny should get more playing time I agree, but it's not like he's been stapled to the bench. Unfortunately Konecny is the kind of player almost every single coach would play selectively. He's not very good defensively and is overall a quick strike type of player. Every NHL coach is going to be too calculated when using him. I don't like it much, but that's just the way it is.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
He's a complete shill and defends the garbage players, coaching staff, and team, even when it requires him to say stupid ****.

He's either an idiot or just pretending to be one. Either option isn't good.

He can recite decades old facts about the team? Cool. I couldn't care less about the past, I care about the present. And in present day, someone who's regularly defending trash and then somehow singles out Sanheim after tonights game isn't someone who seems to get what's going on right now.

We should all just resign ourselves to the fact that there is no competent hockey coverage in this town whatsoever.

Gormley was pretty good but left. Ray Didinger makes better points than any of the idiots on the radio. Myrtetus is ok but critically off in his thinking like all goalies.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
We should all just resign ourselves to the fact that there is no competent hockey coverage in this town whatsoever.

Gormley was pretty good but left. Ray Didinger makes better points than any of the idiots on the radio. Myrtetus is ok but critically off in his thinking like all goalies.

The best is probably Charlie O'Connor. I also like Isaac, which might get me run off this forum

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
There’s a very noticeable difference in his willingness to call out or negatively criticize the organization ever since he started doing work for them. No real point in arguing about it, I’m far from the only person to notice it and you seem to feel a need to defend him.

I am not sure why you needed to state that there quite a few people that might disagree with me
I am fine with disagreeing with many, and respect many disagreeing with me.
Otherwise, it would be “Back in the USSR”

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
qdQskhu.png

tenor.gif

Q2KsheU.png

Score effects and noise, Junk.

The only lie here is that your favorite brand of hair gel does not cause brain damage.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I was never a Hakstol guy, but he was never given all that great of a roster. I dont care how good our coaching was, we werent beating Washington or Pittsburgh, possibly New York in 2014 but that was years ago. Our problem was never having a legit #1 D man or at least 2 centers who could put the puck in the net.

Nolan Patrick? Maybe, but so far his play has been too erratic to be relied on as a #2 center for me. And if you give him good linemates and play him in the third spot, he'll still develop at a good clip. This isnt EA NHL where potentials grow/drop just based on their spot in the line up. If he plays against easier competition his confidence can grow, which again creates match up problems for other teams.

Which is always our achilles heal, opposing teams know we dont have enough firepower so we have to try and adjust our play to them, and not them to us.

A new coach will help no matter what but if we cant get a #1D in the off season, then a legit #1-2 C should be the priority.

Yeah, that wasn’t directed at you. :laugh:

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

THe Hakstol issue isnt entirely based on his poor coaching.
It includes the fact that he was horrible with young players.

At first, I didn't care about the coaching. I was onboard with not caring about the coaching while the team was rebuilding. So I was on the leave Hak alone posse. Admittedly, I wasn't watching games during the first couple seasons due to various reasons. However, I followed via the internet and I agreed with Hextall's philosophy of building through the sysytem and fixing the salary cap. So I didnt agree with the hysteria over Hak.

Then, I realized last season Hak was horrible with the young players. He favored dmen like Mcdonald and Manning over the future of the team. He did the same with the forwards via Fillpula and Lehtera.

So don't marginalize the argument to not being able to coach well in an unwinnable playoff situation. The main issue for me was that he hampered the progress of young players.

Reactions: renberg and baudib1

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
From now on, if you're going to make a claim that we need to sign or aquire X, please give specific options that are attainable and make sense.

Just throwing out a nameless proposition, and claiming it would be better than going with one of the very best prospects in all of hockey, just comes across short-sighted and mindless.

I understand frustration and wanting to win this very second, but most teams would be falling over each other to be in our situation for the foreseeable future at center.

Anyway, ignore list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->