Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Funbucket! Bingo Bango!!

Ive heard of Future Man. I’ll give that a watch.
solar.jpg

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I'm not up on tvs enough to give you an answer I feel is meaningful, but no matter what review sites say, your eyes are going to find different features more important than mine or theirs.

To my eye, 60 fps looks awful with any motion. That would steer me toward the LGs out of the OLED options, but it's all preference. As you're intimating here, the objectively good/bad areas are things like ports, which not nearly enough people think about.
Appreciate the reply. The Samsung I had was pretty great other than that one-connect mini travesty. It's a shame, I was a Samsung guy for years and it completely turned me off from them going forward.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Hey technical folks, I could use some help. (@JojoTheWhale and anyone else with a trusted opinion) I'm in the market for a new 55" tv. I'm over this Samsung I have with the one-connect mini for HDMI connections. I've had more trouble with it than I care to deal with. I hope they fired whoever came up with that design, as it's complete garbage.

I'm leaning OLED, specifically the LG B9, but am open to any and all suggestions. TV would be for mixed-use (streaming, TV, movies, console gaming) and looking at a max of around $1500.

I bought a new TV recently and felt the reviews at RTINGS.com were very helpful. They have a video and text review for almost every TV breaking down the pros and cons depending on what you value and how you use it.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I bought a new TV recently and felt the reviews at RTINGS.com were very helpful. They have a video and text review for almost every TV breaking down the pros and cons depending on what you value and how you use it.
They are my go to for tv reviews. I actually used them for my last Samsung as well. That's where I got the idea for the LG B9 OLED. They say it's the best 55" tv they've reviewed, so pretty high praise.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Hey technical folks, I could use some help. (@JojoTheWhale and anyone else with a trusted opinion) I'm in the market for a new 55" tv. I'm over this Samsung I have with the one-connect mini for HDMI connections. I've had more trouble with it than I care to deal with. I hope they fired whoever came up with that design, as it's complete garbage.

I'm leaning OLED, specifically the LG B9, but am open to any and all suggestions. TV would be for mixed-use (streaming, TV, movies, console gaming) and looking at a max of around $1500.
Just don’t get an 8k TV. 4k is still a baby that might become more mainstream in five years+ or adoption of 4k content can hit hyper speed and it’s great to have a 4k screen in 2023. You can get a smart TV is you want the new connected appliances.

Other than that I can’t give any recommendations as I am not a big TV person.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
They are my go to for tv reviews. I actually used them for my last Samsung as well. That's where I got the idea for the LG B9 OLED. They say it's the best 55" tv they've reviewed, so pretty high praise.

You know what's weird is that I really enjoy watching shows and films on my laptop. It's a decent size (maybe 15" I think) but I get the sense I would like it on a smaller one, too. No idea why.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
You know what's weird is that I really enjoy watching shows and films on my laptop. It's a decent size (maybe 15" I think) but I get the sense I would like it on a smaller one, too. No idea why.
My wife is the same way, she has no problem watching a TV show on her phone or iPad. I can't do it, I need to be immersed in the garbage while I watch.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Definitely late to the TV talk but I've already decided a 4K smart TV is the way to go for me when the time comes. I love how you can connect your phone to it. Shit is cash

The extremely fast dialogue like Rick & Morthy rewards rewatches more than most shows. Kinda impossible to absorb all of the jokes in one go.
Still have to catch up on this season, was it good?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My wife is the same way, she has no problem watching a TV show on her phone or iPad. I can't do it, I need to be immersed in the garbage while I watch.

No idea how people can watch on a phone. Impossible.

iPad I can watch sport on... or maybe youtube videos of some length... but any tv actually worth watching? Nah.

Laptop is 100% fine. I think about a 14 inch screen is the prerequisite for me to watch something of any real value.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
No idea how people can watch on a phone. Impossible.

iPad I can watch sport on... or maybe youtube videos of some length... but any tv actually worth watching? Nah.

Laptop is 100% fine. I think about a 14 inch screen is the prerequisite for me to watch something of any real value.
I can watch movies on my phone, and sports, but it’s vastly better on a big screen.

Reactions: Appleyard

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I'm a tv person and I absolutely love to the TCL 6 Series MicroLed TV. It was $550 at bestbuy and it is a complete steal. It is ranked by cnet as the best tv for budget and it the editors recommend it if your not getting oled.

The color levels are amazing, everything looks good on it.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I've been watching Monster on and off. It's a haunting show... The characterizations, sound, narrative, and animation are all engaging.

Just finished Parasyte the other day. Thought it was pretty good, though there were aspects that were super distracting. Not sure what the thinking was with the music choice. Feels like a slice of life romance show by ear, which contradicts some thrilling body-horror animation. The premise reminded me of the ant arc in Hunter x Hunter.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I've been watching Monster on and off. It's a haunting show... The characterizations, sound, narrative, and animation are all engaging.

The Anime show? I’ve heard great things about this. Where’s it streaming?

TB87

May 30, 2018
Emmy nominations are a month and a half away so here would be my major TV Drama acting nominees/winners based on shows I’ve watched over the past year.

Lead Actor in a Drama Series:
Rami Malek: Mr. Robot. Episode submitted: 407 Proxy Authentication Required.
***Tour de force performance***

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series:
Tom Pelphrey: Ozark. Episode submitted: Fire Pink (or pretty much any episode really he was phenomenal).

Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Jodie Comer: Killing Eve. Episode submitted: Are You from Pinner?
***A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Devastating stuff***

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series:
Julia Garner: Ozark. Episode submitted: Can’t really pick one specific episode since she’s believable every time she’s on screen.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Emmy nominations are a month and a half away so here would be my major TV Drama acting nominees/winners based on shows I’ve watched over the past year.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
Jodie Comer: Killing Eve. Episode submitted: Are You from Pinner?
***A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Devastating stuff***

She has been good, and I know you are obsessed with her, but I'd really hate to see that show rewarded. It has always been pretty aimless, but this season was a complete waste of time. It wasn't disappointing - it was flat out bad.

TB87

May 30, 2018
She has been good, and I know you are obsessed with her, but I'd really hate to see that show rewarded. It has always been pretty aimless, but this season was a complete waste of time. It wasn't disappointing - it was flat out bad.

Nah man. It’s admiration!

Phoebe Waller-Bridge leaving as head writer after season 1 has hurt the quality of the writing big time ever since. S3 sucked but Are You from Pinner was a great episode.

It has become more & more aimless, which is a bummer. Separating Villanelle & Eve for practically the entire season took all of the bite out of the show. When they're together is when the show really sparks.

I’m still going to watch S4 when it comes out but my expectations are looooowwwww. I wonder if the books are any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->