OT: 75th Obsequious Banter Thread: Pour Yourself A Kool-Aid As Tall As Hal Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
@Tripod Once they open up all Canada travel, if I was to come play Cabot Cliffs, whats the Readers Digest notes of tips ?
Is Cabot Links on same property ?
Where to fly, 2 other courses close to play, city to stay in, do I need car rental ( Like to have pops ) :)
I have never played in any of the Cape Breton courses....as sad as that is. So I can't give you a 1st hand account of anything. But here is what I do know:

to play Cabot Cliffs, typically people stay at Cabot Links and also play that course while there. The courses are 7 minutes away from each other. There is no CITY where you will be going in Cape Breton! Besides the resort, there are only 1-2 lower end motels, some B&B and cottages.

When you fly in, it will be to Halifax. Inverness(where Cabot Links/Cliffs are) is 4 hr drive away(344 km's) so you will need a rental car for sure. The airportis outside of Halifax so you won't actually see it as it's in the opposite direction once leaving the airport. 3 hours of that drive is pretty boring as you are driving thru the province on the main highway. Once near Cape Breton, you will have more scenery as you drive along the water more often.

Coming from BC the whole time change doesn't working in your favour as you lose 4 hours in time change and 4-5 hours in flight time. How many days were you trying to make the whole trip in?

3 other course in Cape Breton which are rated high are Dundee, Bell Bay and Cape Breton Highland Links. I wouldn't both playing any other courses between Halifax and Cape Breton if you are looking to play high end courses. On the other side of Halifax is Glen Arbour which is a Championship level course.

So yeah, some of defends on how much time you have. I would suggest doing the Cabot trail if you are coming this far across Canada. But some drunk dudes might not care about scenery too much either...lol.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Wicked info !!

Would be coming for 5 days I would guess. Not sure if the 2 BC boys will come tho as it would be quite the flight, so most likely all Manitoba guys.

Thanks again !!

Reactions: Tripod

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I will say, I like the big display for Subaru Legacy, but I'm not a fan that you have to use it to even change climate controls. I just know that from reading around that Honda's CVTs are still probably the best in the price range. Goddamn do I wish Honda made AWD Accords (and not the Crosstour).

No V6 for me when it comes to the Camry. 202 HP on the AWD version for the 4 cylinder. This Camry even comes with a winter package, where it has heated mirrors, steering wheel and front seats. The only two things Subaru offers that Toyota doesn't for this is that you can't add wireless charging or remote start.

Considered the CRV but was wary of reported 1.5 turbo issues (coolant in the block!), and just had 2 turbo cars and was looking to move on from worrying about them blowing up, not that they did/have yet (still have one LGT). CRV is great otherwise and huge inside for moving stuff, which is a priority for me. As for the CVT; maybe it is better than the geared one on the pilot/passport/mdx that is reputed to have had issues. Even Honda can have problems or supplier issues and you start making a lot of turbo cars then low and behold fleet reliability goes down. Same thing happened for Subaru with the 2.5t and probably will again with the 2.4t, albeit I would expect them to be somewhat better after learning from the previous generation. Still busy moms aren't going to be checking the oil frequently or at all on the family grocery getter, and all turbos will burn oil in time.

Interestingly they lowered the OCI on the forester from 7500 to 6000 with the new model. I guess some people ran them dry as the the flat engines always tend to burn a little oil, and probably more so with the 20 weight stuff. Imagine someone driving a car 7500 miles or more and never checking the oil?! If that is any of you then definitely get a non turbo i4 Honda/Toyota! My Camry seemed like it never burned a drop even after 170k miles and running it to redline at times so there is that.

Read the MT review on the AWD Camry. Seems nice. Interesting how NA kind of frankendrivetrained a RAV4's non-hybrid AWD underpinnings in there, lower gearing and all. Hey, if it works. Cool that it is a little bit more fun to drive in the snow with the nanny traction control slightly more relaxed.

I drove my parents Corolla in the snow to check it out shortly after they got it a few years back and I have to say the traction/stability control works very well. It's remarkable what a dramatic improvement it is over having nothing other than (overactive) anti-lock brakes like I was used to in the LGT. Kind of takes the fun out of it if you like drifting around like a jackass lol but it really does work surprising well even in a light FWD car with stock all season tires.

Didn't get a chance to drive the foz in the snow yet unfortunately as we didn't get any of note last winter.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
My F150 has sat in my parking spot for about 4 months now. How screwed am I? Brakes even work? Battery is dead. The few times I've had to physically step into work I've taken the car (better gas mileage, she's not using it).
You should start your car at least once a month.

Reactions: orangey

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Anyone that has Hulu, I'd highly recommend the show Future Man if you're looking for a good comedy. A guy beats a seemingly unbeatable video game and then the game characters come back from the future thinking he's the "savior" to stop the end of humanity. Hilarity ensues.
Isn’t that Captain N ( or was it Captain Nintendo?) just live action?

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I've never seen Captain N so I can't say how similar it is, but Future Man is littered with solid dick and fart jokes throughout. So the similarities probably end pretty quickly.
Captain N was a teenager that got sucked into a Nintendo or something, and had a controller for a belt buckle that could affect time, and had a light zapper. He fought king hippo and a bunch of other random bad guys who I can’t remember. There was an evil eggplant.
He fought alongside with icarus and some princess and a few other good guys.
Weird but fun enough as a kid, show.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Mikey miss got into it with his cohosts today, chucked his headset across the room dropped a couple f bombs on air. Boy I hope he gets canned. Worst sports host in the city by far. f*** you you f***ing . :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er.

Reactions: Defect

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Just watched The Vast of Night on Amazon.

If unique & imaginative storytelling is your thing, this movie is for you.

The direction is...unusual for about the 1st 10 minutes or so but after that it’s smooth sailing.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
tenor.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad