OT: 75th Obsequious Banter Thread: Pour Yourself A Kool-Aid As Tall As Hal Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, I mean, to fix the aesthetic damage of the car, it would probably cost about 2 to 3 grand. Already got a quote for the bumper where I'd have to pay $580 or so just to replace it. 3 of the 4 doors has a very noticeable scrape in them, so to probably repair and paint each of them would be like $500 a piece.

According to KBB, with my mileage and in "Good" condition, it's worth about 6K. Unless this doesn't sound like "Good" to you?

I do remember trading in my old CR-V (2001) for this Accord and I got like 3 grand for it even though the AC didn't work :laugh:.

Yeah, you srent getting 2 to 3 grand worth of work out of it. They're gonna buy it for 6k, and either auction it, or put their own cheaper labor into it, and sell it locally. Either way, you don't get out of it what you put in.

Cars are like the anti houses - the less work you put into your car when selling it, the better off you likely are, unless you can do the work yourself.

Reactions: Defect

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Yeah, you srent getting 2 to 3 grand worth of work out of it. They're gonna buy it for 6k, and either auction it, or put their own cheaper labor into it, and sell it locally. Either way, you don't get out of it what you put in.

Cars are like the anti houses - the less work you put into your car when selling it, the better off you likely are, unless you can do the work yourself.

That's what I'm thinking and it seems that this is kind of the consensus for people. However, I should probably get my brakes fully looked at before I try to do this considering the direct functionality of the car.

I've been looking at the 2020 Camry SE AWD. Seems to have a pretty damn good package for the price and being in upstate NY now, AWD seems like a good idea. By the way, I've never owned anything but Hondas in my life.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's what I'm thinking and it seems that this is kind of the consensus for people. However, I should probably get my brakes fully looked at before I try to do this considering the direct functionality of the car.

I've been looking at the 2020 Camry SE AWD. Seems to have a pretty damn good package for the price and being in upstate NY now, AWD seems like a good idea. By the way, I've never owned anything but Hondas in my life.

Nothing wrong with either brand except 'Murica'. Honestly, if your intent is to sell the car in the next few days or week, I wouldn't bother at all. If we're talking basic functionality like "I don't have any brake pads left at all and its metal on metal when I brake", sure. Otherwise? Ride it out if you can safely and let it be someone else's problem.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Nothing wrong with either brand except 'Murica'. Honestly, if your intent is to sell the car in the next few days or week, I wouldn't bother at all. If we're talking basic functionality like "I don't have any brake pads left at all and its metal on metal when I brake", sure. Otherwise? Ride it out if you can safely and let it be someone else's problem.

Well, my e-brake is loose, so I can disengage it, but it has the possibility of popping the handle back up and re-engaging it while I'm driving. And I have an on and off (only recently and not every time) metal rubbing sound from one of the wheels. Also, this car has a long history of getting shit stuck behind the brake pads making them not fully disengage and in turn wears them down faster.

Also, if I were to get a car, it might be more in the next month or two, then than next couple weeks. Luckily I work from home normally.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, my e-brake is loose, so I can disengage it, but it has the possibility of popping the handle back up and re-engaging it while I'm driving. And I have an on and off (only recently and not every time) metal rubbing sound from one of the wheels. Also, this car has a long history of getting shit stuck behind the brake pads making them not fully disengage and in turn wears them down faster.

Also, if I were to get a car, it might be more in the next month or two, then than next couple weeks. Luckily I work from home normally.

Then yeah, I would definitely get the basics fixed. I misunderstood and thought you were looking in the next few days - mostly because I'm on the way to the dealership with the fiancee myself.

Reactions: SolidSnakeUS

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
You aren’t going to get your money back on anything you do to the car unless it’s an issue of drivability. Trade in negotiations are less about the car and more about you. They know what your car is worth to them very quickly and the rest is seeing how much they can get out of you. (Most dealers)

have an idea of what your car is worth and what your new car is worth before you go

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Good to know. I'll keep the subject to the new car until I get an actual price. Thanks.
Yeah sometimes they try to fudge numbers and they’re wiggle room. Get the best price you can get and then go “oh by the way I have a such a such to trade in out in the lot”

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
1. Hello, I miss you all but I’m socially distancing myself from these boards. I’ve broken quarantine.

2. My wife convinced me to get THE Purple Mattress, anyone else have one? Thoughts, concerns, prayers?

3. Any recommendations on dry land shooting pads or tiles? Also looking for a net with targets or pockets. Since I’m losing my damn mind and lonely won’t be able to play until there is a vaccine.

4. Richards was cannon

5. We just bought a new house, I brought a can of paint from the old house, it wasn’t closed all the way and spilled all over my back seat.

6. Michael Handzus had great hair.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

The new Camrys are so sexy. I have a 2012 and wish I had one of the new ones.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Don’t tell them you have a trade in until you get the final price of the new car.
This is good advice to make sure you are getting the best deal on your purchase. Works great.

Also you can always privately sell an in demand used car like an accord. More hassle tho.

I unloaded a rusty mess of a subaru to webuyanycar since I would have felt bad selling it to a person. Super easy and quick.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This is good advice to make sure you are getting the best deal on your purchase. Works great.

Also you can always privately sell an in demand used car like an accord. More hassle tho.

I unloaded a rusty mess of a subaru to webuyanycar since I would have felt bad selling it to a person. Super easy and quick.

Holy f*** I remember those commercials. Good lord were they super f***ing annoying :laugh:.

I will say, it sucks that each Toyota dealer up here only has like 1 AWD Camry in stock for me to test drive. I'd have to custom make mine through them as to how I want it made.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
1. Hello, I miss you all but I’m socially distancing myself from these boards. I’ve broken quarantine.

2. My wife convinced me to get THE Purple Mattress, anyone else have one? Thoughts, concerns, prayers?

3. Any recommendations on dry land shooting pads or tiles? Also looking for a net with targets or pockets. Since I’m losing my damn mind and lonely won’t be able to play until there is a vaccine.

4. Richards was cannon

5. We just bought a new house, I brought a can of paint from the old house, it wasn’t closed all the way and spilled all over my back seat.

6. Michael Handzus had great hair.

I don't even know how someone begins to fix that paint spill.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I used to have a friend whose dad and brother raced these things and were like, world champions at one point for their division.

They used to get free waverunners and Jetskis from Yamaha as well. I had about 5 or 6 near death experiences flying on a turbocharged jetski at 75 mph - most notably concussion #2 while trying to pull a flip off a 40fters wake in Absecon.

Fastest I've gone on a jetski is 65, and 65 MPH on water is a very different experience from 65 on land.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Holy f*** I remember those commercials. Good lord were they super f***ing annoying :laugh:.

I will say, it sucks that each Toyota dealer up here only has like 1 AWD Camry in stock for me to test drive. I'd have to custom make mine through them as to how I want it made.
If you want an awd camry then test drive a legacy. If you havent already. Much better system than an afterthought adaptation to a fwd car imo. Have a legacy gt and we just got a forester touring and both love it.

Had a camry before and it was indestructible btw. Not slagging Toyota.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If you want an awd camry then test drive a legacy. If you havent already. Much better system than an afterthought adaptation to a fwd car imo. Have a legacy gt and we just got a forester touring and both love it.

Had a camry before and it was indestructible btw. Not slagging Toyota.

I was thinking of a Legacy but for the price to features and performance, I still like the Camry more. I know the Subaru has a great AWD system, but reading around a bit, the CVT still isn't perfect in the Legacy and I like that the performance of the Camry is very similar to my 2014 Accord.

Reactions: orangey

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I was thinking of a Legacy but for the price to features and performance, I still like the Camry more. I know the Subaru has a great AWD system, but reading around a bit, the CVT still isn't perfect in the Legacy and I like that the performance of the Camry is very similar to my 2014 Accord.

You looking at a v6 Camry? Not really up on them these days but always a solid option. We only drove the Rav4 Hybrid and a couple different Highlanders since we wanted carrying capacity. Ultimately settled on a Forester touring.

The CVT works fine so far on the Forester. Had a little trepidation myself but it is basically indistinguishable from a regular auto tranny with the way it is 'stepped' to mimic gears. People are concerned about CVT longevity in general but if you aren't running a lot of torque I don't think it is an issue with a mature design like Subaru's. They've been making them for a while now. It also has a chain whereas some others have belts I believe. I wouldn't run a tuned turbo through one though. Stick with the manual for handling that kind of torque!

We were concerned about the forester having enough pick-up coming from a turbo car and it is surprisingly enthusiastic with the 182 hp 2.5i. I honestly don't find myself wishing for a turbo when driving it, even with 2 people and gear. Seems the transmission gets the most out of the engine.

The huge infotainment system isn't for everyone with the Legacy/Outback, btw. We were in the didn't care for it group, and that you have to dig into menus to disable the clunky auto start stop each time (forester has a button). That may be a deal killer for some. That big 'tablet' display also has a lot of light output at night, even when turned down, and significant sun glare in the daytime we found. So there are negatives to the new design even though the cabin overall looks really nice and has nice materials.

Good luck with the car hunt!

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I will say, I like the big display for Subaru Legacy, but I'm not a fan that you have to use it to even change climate controls. I just know that from reading around that Honda's CVTs are still probably the best in the price range. Goddamn do I wish Honda made AWD Accords (and not the Crosstour).

No V6 for me when it comes to the Camry. 202 HP on the AWD version for the 4 cylinder. This Camry even comes with a winter package, where it has heated mirrors, steering wheel and front seats. The only two things Subaru offers that Toyota doesn't for this is that you can't add wireless charging or remote start.

Reactions: orangey

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
My F150 has sat in my parking spot for about 4 months now. How screwed am I? Brakes even work? Battery is dead. The few times I've had to physically step into work I've taken the car (better gas mileage, she's not using it).

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
@Tripod Once they open up all Canada travel, if I was to come play Cabot Cliffs, whats the Readers Digest notes of tips ?
Is Cabot Links on same property ?
Where to fly, 2 other courses close to play, city to stay in, do I need car rental ( Like to have pops ) :)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
My F150 has sat in my parking spot for about 4 months now. How screwed am I? Brakes even work? Battery is dead. The few times I've had to physically step into work I've taken the car (better gas mileage, she's not using it).

Battery may be dead, but some can sit that long and fire right up.
Brakes should be fine .

Reactions: Flyotes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->